No clutch then what is the problem?

Old November 9th 04, 02:39 PM
news.covad.net

Default No clutch then what is the problem?

I have a 1991 Honda Accord Wagon. It is an automatic. I live on a slight
hill. When I pull out of my driveway and try to drive up this hill the car
goes up the hill very very slow. I push on the gas harder and harder and the
car gets louder but it goes up the hill very slow as if it was a cluth
problem which it does not have as it it an automatic.

However, when I drive on a flat surface there is no problem and after
driving on a flat surface for about a minute and then going up the same hill
there is no problem.

Can someone PLEASE clue me in on what is going on and what I can do? Even my
mechanic is a bit puzzled.

Dave

Old November 9th 04, 04:17 PM
motsco_ _

news.covad.net wrote:
> I have a 1991 Honda Accord Wagon. It is an automatic. I live on a slight
> hill. When I pull out of my driveway and try to drive up this hill the car
> goes up the hill very very slow. I push on the gas harder and harder and the
> car gets louder but it goes up the hill very slow as if it was a cluth
> problem which it does not have as it it an automatic.
>
> However, when I drive on a flat surface there is no problem and after
> driving on a flat surface for about a minute and then going up the same hill
> there is no problem.
>
> Can someone PLEASE clue me in on what is going on and what I can do? Even my
> mechanic is a bit puzzled.
>
> Dave

=========================
Dave,

Automatic trannies need clean, fresh fluid to keep them from chewing
their (very costly) guts out. Honda trannies only work correctly with
Honda fluid. At what mileage did you last change the fluid? What is the
mileage now. How full is the fluid, and does it smell? Is it translucent
red, or brown?

Your Owner's manual tells you how to check some of this stuff.

'Curly'

Old November 9th 04, 07:28 PM
news.covad.net

Transmission fluid changed one year back at 94k and it is 104k now. Don't
even know how to check transmission fluid color.

Old November 9th 04, 10:44 PM
motsco_ _

news.covad.net wrote:
> Transmission fluid changed one year back at 94k and it is 104k now. Don't
> even know how to check transmission fluid color.
>
> "motsco_ _" <"motsco_ > wrote in message
>
>>news.covad.net wrote:
>>
>>>I have a 1991 Honda Accord Wagon. It is an automatic. I live on a slight
>>>hill. When I pull out of my driveway and try to drive up this hill the

> car
>
>>>goes up the hill very very slow. I push on the gas harder and harder and

> the
>
>>>car gets louder but it goes up the hill very slow as if it was a cluth
>>>problem which it does not have as it it an automatic.
>>>
>>>However, when I drive on a flat surface there is no problem and after
>>>driving on a flat surface for about a minute and then going up the same

> hill
>
>>>there is no problem.
>>>
>>>Can someone PLEASE clue me in on what is going on and what I can do?

> Even my
>
>>>mechanic is a bit puzzled.
>>>
>>>Dave

>>=========================
>>Dave,
>>
>>Automatic trannies need clean, fresh fluid to keep them from chewing
>>their (very costly) guts out. Honda trannies only work correctly with
>>Honda fluid. At what mileage did you last change the fluid? What is the
>>mileage now. How full is the fluid, and does it smell? Is it translucent
>>red, or brown?
>>
>>Your Owner's manual tells you how to check some of this stuff.
>>
>>'Curly'

===============

When you wipe the little dipstick off, use a Kleenex, and see what color
/ smell is like. If you top it up, make sure to add just a bit. It's not
like adding oil to the engine. A bit goes a long way.

If it was something other than Honda Z1 ATF that was used, your tranny
may be damaged.

'Curly'

Old November 10th 04, 02:16 AM
Chip Stein

"news.covad.net" > wrote in message servers.com>...
> Transmission fluid changed one year back at 94k and it is 104k now. Don't
> even know how to check transmission fluid color.

bad tranny computer. it's stuck in 3rd gear. pull the shifter
back to 1 and try it, it will override the tcm.
Chip
Old November 11th 04, 02:20 PM
news.covad.net

Well Curl, you were certainly right. My mechanic got rid of the old
transmission and put in the good stuff that you recommended and now the
purrs like a kitten on that hill.

Old November 11th 04, 06:35 PM
motsco_ _

news.covad.net wrote:
> Well Curl, you were certainly right. My mechanic got rid of the old
> transmission ((fluid))and put in the good stuff that you recommended and now the
> purrs like a kitten on that hill.

Great . . . . I thought Chip's answer was the better one (it is 99.9 %
of the time) :-)

Glad it didn't cost too much either.

'Curly'