Sat Nav gets lost!

Old June 9th 05, 09:21 PM
Dean

Default Sat Nav gets lost!

My 5 year old 735 has Sat Nav. Last week it announced that I was about 20
miles away from where I was. It kept this up several days on the run always
missinterpreting my location. As I drove, it would move too, running me
through lakes and countryside!
After four days it woke up and got it right again.

Any suggestions?

Old June 9th 05, 09:37 PM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Dean" > wrote in message
> My 5 year old 735 has Sat Nav. Last week it announced that I was about 20
> miles away from where I was. It kept this up several days on the run
> always missinterpreting my location. As I drove, it would move too,
> running me through lakes and countryside!
> After four days it woke up and got it right again.
>
> Any suggestions?

Try asking over here... http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/bmwnav/ . It's
the Navigation board on Bimmerboard.com. Those guys can do and tell you
just about everything about your system.

Kyle.
98 740iL
97 M3

Old June 10th 05, 01:15 AM
R. Mark Clayton

"Dean" > wrote in message
> My 5 year old 735 has Sat Nav. Last week it announced that I was about 20
> miles away from where I was. It kept this up several days on the run
> always missinterpreting my location. As I drove, it would move too,
> running me through lakes and countryside!
> After four days it woke up and got it right again.
>
> Any suggestions?

Your car used to belong to to a leading members of the Iraqi regime, so your
GPS has been slugged.

Elsewise - loose aerial, **** loaded map, poor alignment.

Old June 10th 05, 09:58 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Get a paper map... (he said unhelpfully)

DAS
---

[...]

Old June 10th 05, 05:30 PM

Dean wrote:
> My 5 year old 735 has Sat Nav. Last week it announced that I was about 20
> miles away from where I was. It kept this up several days on the run always
> missinterpreting my location. As I drove, it would move too, running me
> through lakes and countryside!
> After four days it woke up and got it right again.

What do you expect? This kind of gee whiz solution looking for a
problem
is hardly more than a novelty, IMO. Suggestion: get a good up-to-date
road atlas (downer ain't it?), and figure out your route before you get
lost. Ya know, I hear that there are people who can't do arithmetic
on paper anymore from years of relying on calculators...

--
Cliff

Old June 11th 05, 11:32 PM
Paul Aspinall

Some unhelpful comments in response to your post..... As can be common in
this NG, unfortunately.

I had the same problem on my E66, which developed a problem with the GPS
location aerial. It would intermittently get my current location incorrect.
However, I took it in to the dealership, and they replaced the GPS location
aerial under warranty, FOC.

I believe your car may have developed this kind of fault, either with the
GPS aerial, or with the connection to the GPS unit itself.

May be worth getting it checked out

Cheers

Paul
'2002 745Li