BMW e46 330 problem

Old December 23rd 04, 12:51 PM
Not here please

Default BMW e46 330 problem

I wonder if anyone can help.
The car was all running fine until my wife stalled it, now it takes an
unusual long before starting and the DSC (abs) light remains on all the
time. It sounds like its running on all 6 cylinders but the power is
definately down.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

TIA, Andy

Old December 23rd 04, 02:21 PM
John

Sounds like a wife problem.

Last night my wife took our "new" (05/2003 bought two days ago w/4900km!)
330i SMG out for a ride to town. Ten minutes later I get a call on my
cellphone--my wife cannot start the car. The ABS light stays on, the
gearshift "C" light is lit, although the lever is locked in the "N"
position, and "N" is indicated on the dash. The engine does not turn over.
While I'm dressing our daughter so we can make a rescue mission to town the
phone rings again. The car is running.
The solution is a sort of Microsoft Windows reset: my wife got out of the
car, locked it using the remote, then unlocked it. Everything went smoothly
back to zero!

Your situation may be a similar case of electronic ghosts. I'd suggest

Ciao,
John

Old December 23rd 04, 07:41 PM
Not here please

Thanks for replying - already tried that one. It needed a fault code reader, so
ive now been to the garage & it needs a new crank sensor & stat sensor. Cant
wait for the bill. If i'd known what it was, i would have changed it myself.
I'd like to my hands on one of these tools that read the codes & can reset them.

TIA
Andy

Old December 23rd 04, 08:31 PM
Jim Levie

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:41:11 +0000, Not here please wrote:

> Thanks for replying - already tried that one. It needed a fault code
> reader, so ive now been to the garage & it needs a new crank sensor & stat
> sensor. Cant wait for the bill. If i'd known what it was, i would have
> changed it myself. I'd like to my hands on one of these tools that read
> the codes & can reset them.

The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is probably the cause of the stall
your wife experienced. The OBDII readout tools are available Peake
(http://www.peakeresearch.com/) and others offer them. The Peake tool runs
around $150.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.