Can I put 185's on instead of 175/70's?

Old November 9th 04, 07:57 PM
Shawn

Default Can I put 185's on instead of 175/70's?

Will i screw up the transaxel? These are winter studded tire. They are
185/70/r14's
The car calls for 175/70/r14

I called the dealer, they couldn't give me a straight answer.

Old November 10th 04, 03:22 AM
Roy

With my 98 SL1 I was told the optional 185 was 185/65/r14. Not sure what the
extra 8mm or so would do to the transaxle other than make your spedometer
inaccurate.
.. .

Old November 10th 04, 11:46 AM
Keith

"Shawn" > wrote in message > ...
> Will i screw up the transaxel? These are winter studded tire. They are
> 185/70/r14's
> The car calls for 175/70/r14
>
> I called the dealer, they couldn't give me a straight answer.

If the Walmart near you has a tire shop they will also have a book
that will have acceptable plus sizes for your model car, just call and
they will look it up for you...but don't buy your tires there. Better
yet NTB (National Tire and Battery) deals extensively with plus sizing
and can tell you what you need to know. I've bought tires and had
brake work done there and they were always quick and professional.

Keith
Old November 10th 04, 03:19 PM
Earl43P

You can absolutely install those tires.
HOWEVER, you WILL see a decrease in gas mileage (miles per tank).
You will also see a slight difference in speedometer vs tachometer speeds,
but not enough to get a speeding ticket. The speedometer error factors
into the fewer miles per tank, but the real issue is that those tires
weigh a good bit more.

The car will also feel "heavier" riding and more cumbersome to steer. You
probably won't notice the steering feel; I did because I have a 92 SL
(which has no power steering).

I put on 185's because I lacked traction when pulling out in the rain
(oily roads, heavy foot on throttle, manual tranny, etc.).

FYI, I just turned 270,000 miles on the original clutch and exhaust
system......all for $9800 in 1992.