92 explorer check engine light and poor gas mileage

Old January 6th 05, 01:42 PM
Dedge

Well I took it apart and cleaned it and checked for dirty connections
on the MAF sensor and the cold air temp sensor. Idle has seemed to
stop fluctuating, so that seems to be fixed....... for now. Check
engine light is still coming on. Anyway that error code is a running
code. A buddy of mine has an explorer with the same motor and a dead
tranny and he said I could borrow his old MAF sensor and cold air temp
sensor to see if that helps me out at all. Another backyard mechanic
suggested that it might be the TPS but I don't think that I am
comfortable attempting that one by myself. Again, I really do
appreciate any and all help thus far and Jim I love your consumer is
always right post, I am a technician myself and that is just too damn
funny.

Do you think that borrowing those sensors is a waste of time? Am I
just being a jackass trying to save a couple of bucks replacing still
working parts?

Thanks
Dan

Old January 7th 05, 04:08 AM
Jim Warman

If the sensors are known to be good and they are available for use, subbing
them is a viable choice.....

Have you checked to be sure it is the same code coming back? How about the
general state of tune? Fuel pressure regulator isn't leaking... that sort of
stuff.

oups.com...

Old January 7th 05, 12:44 PM
Dedge

Mostly it runs really really well. I have only had it for about 5
months and the people that I bought it from were very meticulous about
taking general care about it. I changed the MAF sensor and that did
not seem to help matters at all. As far as the fuel pressure regulator
goes, how would I go about changing that? It doesn't appear to be
leaking, but I am wonding if it isn't stuck open or something. Can I
just pull the gas lines off of it and then the two bolts on the side,
or is there something special I need to do to it because it is under
pressure?

As far as the codes, I believe it was checked a total of 3 times all
with the same code....however it has not been back in since I changed
the MAF sensor.

Also I was checking the oil last night and I could smell fuel in the
oil Big Time. Although I expected to be able to smell some, just not
that strong.

Dan

Old January 7th 05, 07:00 PM
John Riggs

You can have multiple issues. As I said, in my case, it was a MAF
sensor, and a brake switch....even though the indicator was codes indicating
the TPS was wide open, and my torque converter wasn't locking up.
Apparently, the brake switch is in the circuit for the transmission, and the
MAF sensor was bad, giving me the other code.
If you have a reader, the manual will have a listing of codes and what
they mean. I'm still trying to work through how everything ties in, but I'm
getting there.

oups.com...

Old January 7th 05, 08:27 PM
Jim Warman

You'll have to pull the vacuum line off the FPR and check to see if any fuel
is coming out of the nipple the hose plugs on to. The diaphragms in these
regulators have been known to leak...

Another concern might be chronically high fuel pressure.

oups.com...

Old January 7th 05, 09:19 PM
Dedge

I traced the vacuum line from the FPR to the vacuum distribution and it
was dry there. Didn't look corroded or anything like gas had been
getting there. Do you still reccomend that I look at the vacuum line
where it attaches to the fpr?
How can I tell if it has chronically high fuel pressure?

Dan

Old January 8th 05, 03:24 AM
Jim Warman

Yes, you should carefully inspect the line and nipple at the top of the fuel
pressure regulator...... turn the key to the run position while the line is
off to pressure up the fuel rail. A fuel pressure guage that reads to 100
psi is required to check fuel pressure.

ups.com...

Old January 12th 05, 02:17 PM

Hello, this happened to me very recently. If the symptons happened
suddenly, then you might have the same problem I did. Basically, Fords
in the 1990's (and probably still today) are VERY sensitive to
air flow through the air filter. I had my oil-changed at a Walmart,
and
they checked the air filter as usual, problem was that they
incorrectly re-installed the air filter. I drove for a few
weeks with all sorts of idle/surge/stall problems. I went to
a Ford dealer...they checked for codes (nothing), then they discovered
the air filter. They mounted it properly, and the problem was fixed.

I know it's hard to believe, but doublecheck your air filter mounting.

Dave