90 Jeep XJ selectrac

Old April 18th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 90 Jeep XJ selectrac

I have a few q's about the selectrac on this xj I recently bought...

I notice on the transfer case lever that you have to pass through part time
4x4 before hitting full time 4x4... I'm gonna guess that I can do that while
moving up to 55mph kinda like shifting on my 01 TJ? As long as I'm going in
a straight line that is, cuz the part time 4x4 doesn't differentiate between
turning? I dont' have the owners manual for this thing, sorry.

Also, I know on Subaru WRX's there's a center differential, a viscous
coupler, that plays referee between front and rear drives. Does the
Selectrac have a diff like this or some other monster? I have no idea. I'm
preparing to change all fluids in this thing as well as filters, and
whatever else may need upkeep at 147000 miles, and was wondering if there's
a center diff that needs fluid changing.

Troy

Old April 18th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Selectrac has a center differential, for use in full time four wheel drive,
but no viscous coupler. It is part of the transfer case.

Full time four wheel drive is useful on slippery road surfaces where part
time four wheel drive might not be appropriate. It can improve handling,
but it can also lead to a false sense of confidence. Just because you can
drive that fast, doesn't mean you can stop from that speed.

You can probably shift the transfer case as you say, but be aware that each
setting implies different vehicle handling characteristics. I would
recommend trying this on a gravel road, before on an ice-covered, rainy,
slippery paved surface.

Earle

. ..

Old April 18th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Troy,

Yes you have to momentarily be in part-time 4WD on your way to full-time.
As long as you are traveling in a straight line you will have no problems.

On mine I have not noticed any changes in handling etc during the moments
the switch required.

You should plan to replacing all the fluids, filters, belts, and hoses.

Be sure to use the proper fluids some brands, acceptable in the past, are
no longer acceptable in DC vehicles including your '90 XJ

It would also be advisable to get a build sheet from your local Jeep
dealership PARTS department or via the Jeep Web Site. You will need your
vehicle VIN number.
http://tinyurl.com/jeg74

. ..