94 540i BMW transmission issue

Old March 9th 06, 04:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 94 540i BMW transmission issue

I have a 1994 540i BMW which has been slowly developing a transmission
problem.

4 months ago, when I didn't have problems, I got my oil changed at the
authorized BMW dealership, I told them to check the transmission oil
levels while checking all the fluids. They gave the car back but didn't
check the transmission oil like I asked, they said the transmission
needed to be hot and they didn't have time to do it, etc. He told me
to do it myself. "Just stick your finger in the hole and if I don't
feel oil, add some until you feel it, then stop." These are the exact
words from the front office service guy.

Now, 4 months later, I have a transmission with issues, I call BMW
back and talk to the parts department to buy transmission oil, I want 2
liters. He tells me the transmission is a lifetime sealed transmission,
you don't add oil to this transmission.

I think I have a 5 HP 30 or A5S 560Z ZF transmission to a M60 B40
engine. Here's how the car behaves now:

I haven't driven the car it for a week. I take it out to drive, it
drives slow until it warms up although I'm not gassing it either. At
the stop light, when it turns green, I rev the engine to go forward and
the car barely wants to move, I get out of the way for traffic to go
by, then it decides to go. I drive with it urging to go buy not much go
although the engine wants to and once I do get up to speed, its fine, I
guess the engine/transmission have warmed up. No more issues for the
rest of the day. I think its low on oil. I talk to people and they say
it sounds like its low on oil. The last person told me not to drive it
low on oil or I'll ruin the transmission. I'm not too sure about the
authorized BMW place because they've now told me two different things
and I'm scarred to take it in to them for fear they're going to turn me
upside down and shake everything out of me to get it fixed.

Old March 9th 06, 06:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

find a reputable tranny shop with experience in that tranny, OR find a indy
mechanic that knows bmw
540 is a common tranny nightmare mobile, I have one too.

Old March 10th 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dear Mr Sharkman,
Should I pay to have it fixed or should I park it and buy a little
truck. I not employed at the moment, in nursing school, and am looking
at 3 more years of school to get through the program. I need
transportation. But if its going to cost as much to fix it as it would
cost to buy another car, I'm depressed.

Old March 10th 06, 07:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"smitty" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dear Mr Sharkman,
> Should I pay to have it fixed or should I park it and buy a little
> truck. I not employed at the moment, in nursing school, and am looking
> at 3 more years of school to get through the program. I need
> transportation. But if its going to cost as much to fix it as it would
> cost to buy another car, I'm depressed.
> Sharkman BMW wrote:
>> find a reputable tranny shop with experience in that tranny, OR find a
>> indy
>> mechanic that knows bmw
>> 540 is a common tranny nightmare mobile, I have one too.

I think something a little less complicated might be in order if you won't
be earning for 3-4 years. Also 1994 4.0l engines suffered from the
"Nikasil" problem in EU, but might have had cast iron block in USA.

Old March 12th 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> "smitty" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Dear Mr Sharkman,
>>Should I pay to have it fixed or should I park it and buy a little
>>truck. I not employed at the moment, in nursing school, and am looking
>>at 3 more years of school to get through the program. I need
>>transportation. But if its going to cost as much to fix it as it would
>>cost to buy another car, I'm depressed.
>>Sharkman BMW wrote:
>>
>>>find a reputable tranny shop with experience in that tranny, OR find a
>>>indy
>>>mechanic that knows bmw
>>>540 is a common tranny nightmare mobile, I have one too.

> I think something a little less complicated might be in order if you won't
> be earning for 3-4 years. Also 1994 4.0l engines suffered from the
> "Nikasil" problem in EU, but might have had cast iron block in USA.

No the 4.0 and 3.0 liter V8s had the Nikasil problem in the US in 1994,
1995 model years.

--
-Fred W

99 Gr Voy - Intermittent Transmission problems - 6 codes. [email protected] Chrysler 4 February 5th 06 05:12 PM
Help - Diagnostic Bus not working! Duane Chrysler 7 January 15th 06 03:21 PM
Problem with my Ford F350 transmission pulling heavy load. Todd Technology 22 March 18th 05 12:57 PM
transmission flushes? Magnulus Driving 2 March 10th 05 04:33 AM
1997 civic transmission or ecu problem ?? Matt Honda 1 October 10th 04 05:00 PM