faraday flashlight

Old January 2nd 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default faraday flashlight

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS....jsp?pn=092643

Home Depot has them. No batteries required.

Subject: In need of a good emergency flashlight to carry in trunk
Date: Monday, January 02, 2006 4:32 PM

B. Peg wrote:

> Does anyone make an emergency flashlight that can be depended on working
> if
> it is in storage for any length of time?

Streamlight Twin-Task 1 cell lithium

Streamlight Twin-Task 2 cell lithium

Streamlight Luxeon LED Task-Light - 2 Cell Lithium Flashlight Buy from
"http://www.swps.com/51008.html"

The shelf life of the lithium batteries is about ten years.

"http://www.streamlight.com/tasklight_specifications.htm"

I've purchased the one cell lithium flashlights for $10 on sale at
Fry's, though last time I saw them in an ad they were $15.

Old January 3rd 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

norm wrote:
> http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS....jsp?pn=092643
>
> Home Depot has them. No batteries required.
>

> Subject: In need of a good emergency flashlight to carry in trunk
> Date: Monday, January 02, 2006 4:32 PM
>
> B. Peg wrote:
>
> > Does anyone make an emergency flashlight that can be depended on working
> > if
> > it is in storage for any length of time?

> Streamlight Twin-Task 1 cell lithium
>
> Streamlight Twin-Task 2 cell lithium
>
> Streamlight Luxeon LED Task-Light - 2 Cell Lithium Flashlight Buy from
> "http://www.swps.com/51008.html"
>
> The shelf life of the lithium batteries is about ten years.
>
> "http://www.streamlight.com/tasklight_specifications.htm"
>
> I've purchased the one cell lithium flashlights for $10 on sale at
> Fry's, though last time I saw them in an ad they were $15.

A hand generator powered light can be useful, but you need to be aware
of the limitations of this style:

1. Light output is much less bright than a standard 2 battery cheapo
flashlight and the beam is narrowly focused.
2. Initially 90 seconds of continuous shaking are required for 5
minutes of light, then a recharge requires about a minute.
3. If you are doing emergency repairs then someone else is going to
have to keep shaking the light.
4. In an emergency situation will you be able to wait 90 seconds for
light?
5. They are pretty pricey considering battery powered alternatives.

The ones I've seen are more of a gadget and a stocking stuffer than an
emergency light imho. I would imagine when they first came out that
Brookstone and Sharper Image sold 'em at a premium, but now they can be
found at Target, ShopNBC, Frys, etc.

Old January 4th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I agree... those type of flashlights don't have the pep of a battery
powered. It all depends what your intended application is...

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old January 4th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Professor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I agree... those type of flashlights don't have the pep of a battery
> powered. It all depends what your intended application is...

During hurricane Reta, we would have been proud to have one of them.
Batteries were unavailable. Lights were out. What a mess.

I plan to pick up a windup radio before next storm season.

Old January 4th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Cool, thanks for that link.

My wife and I were just out camping and saw one of those at one hunt
camp we stopped in at and we were wondering where to get them. It
appeared to work well. Perfect timing.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242