Seat Belt Tensioner Sensor

Old September 1st 05, 05:26 PM
Yves M.

Default Seat Belt Tensioner Sensor

I have a '02 Sebring Convertible Limited and the airbag warning light has
come on. Dealer says it's the "Driver's side seat belt tensioner sensor"
that is the cause and he needs to replace the ENTIRE seat belt assembly at a
cost of $360. He says it may cause the airbags not to deploy in case of an
accident...

Is there a cheaper way to fix this?? I have to replace a whole assembly
because a sensor is broken? I really do not need to spend that money right
now (especially since I just had to pay $300 to replace a plastic valve
housing that had cracked and caused coolant to leak)...

Thanks for any input!
Yves

Old September 1st 05, 11:28 PM
tim bur

the pretensoner on the inboard side of the seat and it just may have come
unplugged
check the connection under the seat going to thye inboard buckle make it's
plugged in
the air bag system is there to save your life but only if it's working correctly

dont skrimp on it

Old September 2nd 05, 12:53 AM
maxpower

"Yves M." > wrote in message
> I have a '02 Sebring Convertible Limited and the airbag warning light has
> come on. Dealer says it's the "Driver's side seat belt tensioner sensor"
> that is the cause and he needs to replace the ENTIRE seat belt assembly at

> cost of $360. He says it may cause the airbags not to deploy in case of

an
> accident...
>
> Is there a cheaper way to fix this?? I have to replace a whole assembly
> because a sensor is broken? I really do not need to spend that money

right
> now (especially since I just had to pay $300 to replace a plastic valve
> housing that had cracked and caused coolant to leak)...
>
> Thanks for any input!
> Yves

The air bag will still deploy if the pretension is bad, the pretensioner is
designed to take out the slack in the seat belt and pull the driver back
from the steering wheel in the event of a frontal accident.
I would have this fixed, but hold on to your receipt in case there is a
recall such as the clockspring on the mini vans.
We are replacing these pretensioners all the time on the driver and
passenger seat.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old September 2nd 05, 02:02 AM
pe2

FYI - Same thing holds true for the PT Cruiser.

Old September 2nd 05, 06:54 AM
Ace

Does this apply to the 2001 Chrysler LHS also?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Old September 2nd 05, 10:28 AM
damnnickname

Have not had to replace one yet on the LH

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech