air conditioner compressor '96 neon sohc 2 L

Old March 12th 05, 04:36 PM
Gould

Default air conditioner compressor '96 neon sohc 2 L

Would anyone here know if it is possible to remove the compressor without
having to remove any of the other units(power steering, alternator etc) near
the compressor? Can the compressor be removed from the underneath side?

Thanks

Gould

Old March 13th 05, 01:26 AM
maxpower

"Gould" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Would anyone here know if it is possible to remove the compressor without
> having to remove any of the other units(power steering, alternator etc)

near
> the compressor? Can the compressor be removed from the underneath side?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gould

Yes under the bottom, P/S or alt does not have to be removed

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 13th 05, 02:50 AM
Gould

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "Gould" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> Would anyone here know if it is possible to remove the compressor without
>> having to remove any of the other units(power steering, alternator etc)

> near
>> the compressor? Can the compressor be removed from the underneath side?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gould

> Yes under the bottom, P/S or alt does not have to be removed
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Thanks. It looks like I can put it up on ramps and get under there and get it
off. The clutch on it is bad and I figure I'll just change out the whole
thing even if it is just the clutch. A clutch for it was quoted somewhere
around 75 dollars. The whole unit rebuilt with clutch priced out at 199.
The thing is nine years old with only 65000 on it. It's been a hunk of junk
but it is cheaper to keep it so far. A real commie car if you ask me but my
wife likes it.

Gould

Old March 13th 05, 11:10 AM
maxpower

"Gould" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Gould" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...
> >> Would anyone here know if it is possible to remove the compressor

without
> >> having to remove any of the other units(power steering, alternator etc)

> > near
> >> the compressor? Can the compressor be removed from the underneath side?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Gould

> > Yes under the bottom, P/S or alt does not have to be removed
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> Thanks. It looks like I can put it up on ramps and get under there and get

it
> off. The clutch on it is bad and I figure I'll just change out the whole
> thing even if it is just the clutch. A clutch for it was quoted somewhere
> around 75 dollars. The whole unit rebuilt with clutch priced out at 199.
> The thing is nine years old with only 65000 on it. It's been a hunk of

junk
> but it is cheaper to keep it so far. A real commie car if you ask me but

my
> wife likes it.
>

> Gould

Depending on who you are buying the Reman from, you may be better off
staying with your compressor and just buying the clutch and it is still in
good working order

Old March 13th 05, 02:26 PM
Gould

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "Gould" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>
>> "maxpower" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Gould" > wrote in message
>> > nk.net...

> without
>> > near

>> > Yes under the bottom, P/S or alt does not have to be removed
>> >
>> > Glenn Beasley
>> > Chrysler Tech

>> Thanks. It looks like I can put it up on ramps and get under there and get

> it
>> off. The clutch on it is bad and I figure I'll just change out the whole
>> thing even if it is just the clutch. A clutch for it was quoted somewhere
>> around 75 dollars. The whole unit rebuilt with clutch priced out at 199.
>> The thing is nine years old with only 65000 on it. It's been a hunk of

> junk
>> but it is cheaper to keep it so far. A real commie car if you ask me but

> my
>> wife likes it.
>>

>> Gould

> Depending on who you are buying the Reman from, you may be better off
> staying with your compressor and just buying the clutch and it is still in
> good working order

Problem is that the air conditioning always worked like a champ. But then
since the clutch has started to squeal and act up of course the air doesn't
get cold. How can I tell if the old compressor is still good? Is there a
simple way to find that out?
By just turning the shaft? And if it is free it is ok?

Thanks

Gould