Oil Change from hell.

Old August 10th 04, 02:19 AM
Denny

"screwloose" > wrote in message
ers.com...

> "Dan C" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:43:24 +0000, screwloose wrote:
> >
> > > As I'm waiting for the owner of the franchise to contact me I was

> looking
> > > for some advice on what to do?

> > You've already done all that you can do. What else do you expect them
> > to do? Buy you a new car? Tell them you'll accept nothing less than

free
> > service for the lifetime of the car.
> >
> > --
> > If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> > Linux Registered User #327951
> >

> No I dont want a new car, but I would want them to be responsible for any
> damage to the engine. As to bringing my car there again, well if there
> techs dont know that they shouldn't over tighten a oil filter imagine what
> else they don't know.

Screw, you can "what if" till the cows come home and still not know any more
than you did. They made a mistake and fessed up to it. Have you ever made a
mistake in your life?? No offense intended, but you're coming across like a
whinny little mama's boy in this thread.

Denny

Old August 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Denny

"PAPAGENE4JACK" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I have been changing my own oil for over 40 yrs in every car you can think
> of and i never heard of a rubber gasket on a filter cracking because it
> was on too tight.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that the gasket from the old filter stuck on the
block and they didn't catch it before putting on the new filter. The ole
"double gasket" trap will get you every time.. <G>

Denny

Old August 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Denny

Old August 10th 04, 03:05 AM
screwloose

"Denny" > wrote in message

> "PAPAGENE4JACK" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > I have been changing my own oil for over 40 yrs in every car you can

think
> > of and i never heard of a rubber gasket on a filter cracking because it
> > was on too tight.

> If I had to guess, I'd bet that the gasket from the old filter stuck on

the
> block and they didn't catch it before putting on the new filter. The ole
> "double gasket" trap will get you every time.. <G>
>
> Denny
>
> > sound like th bozo didnt tighten it enough that will make it leak. Just
> > so happens I have a new 04 carravan and it takes less than 15 minutes to
> > change the oil and filter. I suggest to do it your self and you will be
> > sure its done right and you will save money too.
> > Regards papa

Well I have the old filter and sure enough the gasket is cracked.

Old August 10th 04, 03:05 AM
screwloose

Old August 10th 04, 03:07 AM
screwloose

"Denny" > wrote in message

> "screwloose" > wrote in message
> ers.com...
> >
> > "Dan C" > wrote in message
> > news

> > looking
> > >
> > > You've already done all that you can do. What else do you expect them
> > > to do? Buy you a new car? Tell them you'll accept nothing less than

> free
> > > service for the lifetime of the car.
> > >
> > > --
> > > If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> > > Linux Registered User #327951
> > >

> > No I dont want a new car, but I would want them to be responsible for

any
> > damage to the engine. As to bringing my car there again, well if there
> > techs dont know that they shouldn't over tighten a oil filter imagine

what
> > else they don't know.
> >

> Screw, you can "what if" till the cows come home and still not know any

more
> than you did. They made a mistake and fessed up to it. Have you ever made

> mistake in your life?? No offense intended, but you're coming across like

> whinny little mama's boy in this thread.
>
> Denny

And yes I have made many mistakes in my life. My job entails inspections of
mass transportation vehicles. If I mess up, the boss sends me home, not pat
me on the back and say oh well...............

Old August 10th 04, 03:07 AM
screwloose

Old August 10th 04, 03:10 AM
screwloose

I would do them myself but I like having a paper trail for the warranty.
Speaking about warranties, if I take this to Chrysler, what does it do to my
warranty.

Old August 10th 04, 03:10 AM
screwloose

Old August 10th 04, 04:04 AM
screwloose

"Denny" > wrote in message

> "screwloose" > wrote in message
> ers.com...
> >
> > "Dan C" > wrote in message
> > news

> > looking
> > >
> > > You've already done all that you can do. What else do you expect them
> > > to do? Buy you a new car? Tell them you'll accept nothing less than

> free
> > > service for the lifetime of the car.
> > >
> > > --
> > > If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
> > > Linux Registered User #327951
> > >

> > No I dont want a new car, but I would want them to be responsible for

any
> > damage to the engine. As to bringing my car there again, well if there
> > techs dont know that they shouldn't over tighten a oil filter imagine

what
> > else they don't know.
> >

> Screw, you can "what if" till the cows come home and still not know any

more
> than you did. They made a mistake and fessed up to it. Have you ever made

> mistake in your life?? No offense intended, but you're coming across like

> whinny little mama's boy in this thread.
>
> Denny

No offence taken, but my wife and 2 children both under 2 years
old, drive in this vehicle every day on the highway for 20 km both ways.
Now if
worrying about the engine seizing up on the highway with them onboard makes
me a "whinny little mama's boy in this thread" .................. so be it.