Going to Dixon, CA

Old June 23rd 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
larry_scholnick

Default Going to Dixon, CA

I'm heading from the L.A. area to Dixon, a town along I-80 southwest
of Sacramento. Depending on where in Dixon I'm going, the online maps
switch between staying on I-5 to US-50/BL-80 and then heading west (/
southwest) on I-80, and a route west along CA-12, then north on
CA-113.

I'm more inclined to take 12/113, just because it looks like a
reasonable alternative to the freeways, and it avoids driving through
Sacramento's afternoon rush hours.

Does anyone have any specific advice on CA-12 through Rio Vista and
CA-113 from there to Dixon?
Old June 23rd 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
CAHighway99

On Jun 22, 6:50*pm, larry_scholnick > wrote:
> I'm heading from the L.A. area to Dixon, a town along I-80 southwest
> of Sacramento. *Depending on where in Dixon I'm going, the online maps
> switch between staying on I-5 to US-50/BL-80 and then heading west (/
> southwest) on I-80, and a route west along CA-12, then north on
> CA-113.
>
> I'm more inclined to take 12/113, just because it looks like a
> reasonable alternative to the freeways, and it avoids driving through
> Sacramento's afternoon rush hours.
>
> Does anyone have any specific advice on CA-12 through Rio Vista and
> CA-113 from there to Dixon?

Just watch out for some pretty nasty potholes along CA 12.
Old June 23rd 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Carl ROGÉRS

On Jun 22, 6:50*pm, larry_scholnick > wrote:
> I'm heading from the L.A. area to Dixon, a town along I-80 southwest
> of Sacramento. *Depending on where in Dixon I'm going, the online maps
> switch between staying on I-5 to US-50/BL-80 and then heading west (/
> southwest) on I-80, and a route west along CA-12, then north on
> CA-113.
>
> I'm more inclined to take 12/113, just because it looks like a
> reasonable alternative to the freeways, and it avoids driving through
> Sacramento's afternoon rush hours.
>
> Does anyone have any specific advice on CA-12 through Rio Vista and
> CA-113 from there to Dixon?

Hi Larry,

If you have a few extra minutes in Rio Vista, take a short spur on
State Route 84. You'll find a free ferry crossing a few miles north
of town. Check out how the road gets extremely narrow on the east
bank. There's a lot of scenery and quiet, creating a perfect
antithesis for the hustle and bustle of the Bay Area or your backyard
in the Southland.

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Environment first, transportology second"
********
Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL):
http://wwtl.info
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Complete coverage of international roads and railways.
Since 2000, we have offered several photographs, videos and
Virtual 360 captures -- to each viatologist & transportologist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
********

Old June 25th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
larry_scholnick

On Jun 23, 3:01*pm, Carl Rogers > wrote:
> On Jun 22, 6:50*pm, larry_scholnick > wrote:
>
> > I'm heading from the L.A. area to Dixon, a town along I-80 southwest
> > of Sacramento. *Depending on where in Dixon I'm going, the online maps
> > switch between staying on I-5 to US-50/BL-80 and then heading west (/
> > southwest) on I-80, and a route west along CA-12, then north on
> > CA-113.

> > I'm more inclined to take 12/113, just because it looks like a
> > reasonable alternative to the freeways, and it avoids driving through
> > Sacramento's afternoon rush hours.

> > Does anyone have any specific advice on CA-12 through Rio Vista and
> > CA-113 from there to Dixon?

> Hi Larry,
>
> If you have a few extra minutes in Rio Vista, take a short spur on
> State Route 84. *You'll find a free ferry crossing a few miles north
> of town. *Check out how the road gets extremely narrow on the east
> bank. *There's a lot of scenery and quiet, creating a perfect
> antithesis for the hustle and bustle of the Bay Area or your backyard
> in the Southland.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Rogers

What waterway does CA-84 cross there, and are there any other
crossings of that same waterway between CA-12 and West Sacramento?

By the way, how does CA-84 get from I-580 west of Livermore to Rio
Vista?
Old June 25th 09, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Mark Mellin

In article

Cache Slough, <http://www.sacdelta.com/charts/sac5.html>.

> and are there any other
> crossings of that same waterway between CA-12 and West Sacramento?

There's also a Caltrans cable ferry further north at Howard Landing,
which crosses Steamboat Slough.

Here's a mapquest routing from I-5 in Stockton to Dixon along
Carl's suggested route:

<http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-cLge>

> By the way, how does CA-84 get from I-580 west of Livermore to Rio
> Vista?

It's a highway in two parts, similar to CA-168 or CA-162, though
the gap is much less obvious.

- Mark

--
Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Old July 3rd 09, 09:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Peter Lawrence

Mark Mellin wrote:

>> By the way, how does CA-84 get from I-580 west of Livermore to Rio
>> Vista?

> It's a highway in two parts, similar to CA-168 or CA-162, though
> the gap is much less obvious.

Once upon a time, pre-Jerry Brown as governor, CA-84 was slated to be a
freeway from I-680 by Sunol all the way to Sacramento.

- Peter
Old July 13th 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
John David Galt

Peter Lawrence wrote:
> Once upon a time, pre-Jerry Brown as governor, CA-84 was slated to be a
> freeway from I-680 by Sunol all the way to Sacramento.

I'm surprised they don't mark it as a continuous route now that the
logical route (the Brentwood "CA-4 Bypass") has all been built.

The full route I'm talking about would be this:

* From where the southern portion now ends in Livermore at I-580,
east on 580, north on Vasco Rd., north/west on the "CA-4 Bypass", and
north on 160 and west on 12 to Rio Vista, where the northern portion
of 84 begins now.

Then I'd truncate highway 160 at highway 12, so there's no 160/84
multiplex. (160 originally did end there, the mileposts show it.)

I'd also restore the north end of route 84, which now chops off where
it enters the city limits of West Sacramento (but is entirely unmarked
in Yolo County anyway). Let the city decide how it connects to I-80,
but make it connect.