Will switching from Synthetic to Dyno oil harm my engine?

Old December 23rd 04, 12:28 AM
Steve Bigelow

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

> When I buy five quarts of Mobil-1, the cashier rings them up, tells me the
> total, I pay and leave. That's it. The cashier doesn't pressure me to join
> any clubs or become a Mobil-1 dealer or any other such crapola.

Yep!

Mobil sells it to distributers, who sells it to a retail warehouses, who
sells it to retailers, who sells it to you.
There is a sales pitch at every step.
Oh heavens.

I buy my Mobil 1 at the local bulk plant, next to the pipeline.
I used to buy my Amsoil at Canadian Tire, a large retailer.

Old December 23rd 04, 01:06 AM
Michael Pardee

"Huw" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:26:44 GMT, Rob Munach >
>> wrote:
>>
>> If the car manufacture states you need to change it that often, 3k,
>> and you don't, and something fails under warranty, they can refuse
>> coverage. Now you really wasted money.
>>
>> just a thought.....
>>
>> tom @ www.URLBee.com
>>

> Name a few motor cars that need 3000 mile oil changes and are still within
> the warranty period.
>
> Huw

All Kias AFAIK. My #2 son has had 2 (well, his fiance has) and they both
required 3K mile oil changes to maintain the 100K warranty. 33 oil changes,
huh?

Mike

Old December 23rd 04, 01:13 AM
Huw

"Michael Pardee" > wrote in message
> "Huw" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:26:44 GMT, Rob Munach >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If the car manufacture states you need to change it that often, 3k,
>>> and you don't, and something fails under warranty, they can refuse
>>> coverage. Now you really wasted money.
>>>
>>> just a thought.....
>>>
>>> tom @ www.URLBee.com
>>>

>> Name a few motor cars that need 3000 mile oil changes and are still
>> within the warranty period.
>>
>> Huw
>>

> All Kias AFAIK. My #2 son has had 2 (well, his fiance has) and they both
> required 3K mile oil changes to maintain the 100K warranty. 33 oil
> changes, huh?
>
> Mike

Well I suppose that is one way to finance a long warranty LOL.
Any advances?

Huw

Old December 23rd 04, 01:15 AM
HachiRoku

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:37:51 +0000, Huw wrote:

> "HachiRoku" > wrote in message

>>> Oh ... that is great psychoanalysis! ROFLOL

>> I'd rather swell my seals! ;>

> Each to his own kink. Live and let live and all that.
>
> May your seals swell alarmingly for Christmas :-)
>
> Huw

ROFLMAO! Well, I just read what I wrote last night (it was late) and it
didn't come out exactly as I had intended!!!
Old December 23rd 04, 01:17 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Steve Bigelow wrote:

> > When I buy five quarts of Mobil-1, the cashier rings them up, tells me
> > the total, I pay and leave. That's it. The cashier doesn't pressure me
> > to join any clubs or become a Mobil-1 dealer or any other such
> > crapola.

> Yep!

> Mobil sells it to distributers, who sells it to a retail warehouses, who
> sells it to retailers, who sells it to you.
> There is a sales pitch at every step.

Of course. And I'm not asked to become a part of it simply because I'm an
end user. And that, punkin, is the difference.

Old December 23rd 04, 01:18 AM
Michael Pardee

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> Scamsoil makes enough dubious (and outright incorrect) assertions about
> enough of their products that I view them as an untrustworthy company.
>
> AND,
>
> I will not stop calling them "Scamsoil" until their hordes of
> pyramid-crazed, True-Believer salesdroids disappear.

Now we're getting somewhere. Those are legitimate complaints, as long as you
feel they are. But the invitation to Google group posts would get me the
wackos.

I am not going to ask about references for the "dubious" / "incorrect"
assertions, because I really am not *that* interested. I expect to stick
with Mobil 1, because I'm using it now (kind of a random selection) so it
doesn't make any real difference to me.

I have also been displeased with Amway (are they related?), since my wife
became involved with it for a few months. The hype was annoying, but the
product quality for the items I tried was awful - except the detergents were
okay. I'm sure not going to count it against you for resenting the
proselytizing.

Mike

Old December 23rd 04, 02:00 AM
dizzy

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:17:19 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>Of course. And I'm not asked to become a part of it simply because I'm an
>end user. And that, punkin, is the difference.

I won't let my kid participate in the school's fund-raising drives,
where they ask KIDS to sell door-to-door to raise money. Jeezez. If
you're that hard-up, here's $50.

Of course, it's rather ironic the "wealthiest" country in the world
can't properly-fund it's schools...

Old December 23rd 04, 02:09 AM
Timothy J. Lee

In article . net>,
Philip > wrote:
>Yes, I know VW suggests
>synthetic IF ... are you are going to perform oil services by the oil life
>monitoring system.

Actually, VW has specifically recommended "synthetic" for its diesel
engines since 1999 in the US, using fixed oil change intervals. Also,
the 5W-40 grade recommendation for all recent VW engines in the US
is a roundabout way of saying "use synthetic", but lots of owners and
dealers use conventional oil (of some other grade).

Timothy J. Lee
Old December 23rd 04, 02:13 AM
Steve Bigelow

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Steve Bigelow wrote:
>
>> > When I buy five quarts of Mobil-1, the cashier rings them up, tells me
>> > the total, I pay and leave. That's it. The cashier doesn't pressure me
>> > to join any clubs or become a Mobil-1 dealer or any other such
>> > crapola.

>> Yep!

>> Mobil sells it to distributers, who sells it to a retail warehouses, who
>> sells it to retailers, who sells it to you.
>> There is a sales pitch at every step.

> Of course. And I'm not asked to become a part of it simply because I'm an
> end user. And that, punkin, is the difference.

Your definition of pyramid is very convienent.

Old December 23rd 04, 02:19 AM
JP

SNIP

> If the car manufacture states you need to change it that often, 3k,
> and you don't, and something fails under warranty, they can refuse
> coverage. Now you really wasted money.

Wouldn't an oil analysis by an independant lab settle any dispute?

JP