1998 VW Jetta: No Dash / Instrument panel lights,.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 20th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Terrence

Default 1998 VW Jetta: No Dash / Instrument panel lights,.

I have a 1998 Jetta GL that the interior instrument and dash lights will not
illuminate or turn on. However, I do have exterior head lights / tail
lights / turn signals / hazards as well as the overhead reading lights.

Turn signal/ hazards / high beam indicator works on the instrument
cluster, other wise, its all dark. All fuses seem intact with no to a
blown state. In chatting with a VW service guy, he speculated that the
dimmer roll switch - "rheostat" near the headlight switch might be broke.
The factory replacement for this is about 120.00 dollars plus a shop labor
of 89.00 / hour. If anyone has had this part replaced, I would appreciate
you sharing your experiences. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Terrence