Phweem

Old June 29th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Phweem

"Dave Tosi" > schreef in bericht
. ..
> Fweem came from way back when (late '90s I think). We had a small contest
> to name the sound of the VW. Fweem came out as the accepted word. It is
> the sound of a stock VW muffler with pea shooters - new or old - they
> don't
> have to be loose.
>
> Fweem.
>
> Dave

IMHO, the cheaper the better...
I have those stainless steel pea shooter, not as nice a sound as the cheap
crap my brother has on his super. He has the cheapest he could find (rusted
before mounting) and they even produce a small wistle/ringing.
NICE

Roger

Old June 29th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Tim Rogers wrote:
> "JeffRens" > wrote in message
>
>>....Or something like that, I've seen it called. This is surely a
>>silly question to the people in this newsgroup, but what is the
>>chirping sound unique to the VW engine. I've had several people
>>ask me about it and I had to plead ignorant... Thanks Jeff

> ..........Not sure what the science behind it is but I have MEGA-FWEEM and
> I'm the only one. Ask Jan.
>

> timmy

It's got something to do with the angle at which exhaust gases zoom past
the perforated holes inside the muffler, or the very entrance to the
peashooter from the muffler. Also how deep into the muffler you push the
peashooters, may have some effect. Do not push them too deep, you may
end up restricting flow too much.

Tim has a special 2" exhaust tip that I pieced together for him, it has
a similar perforated inner pipe that the peashooters have, but it's not
loose. The space in between these two pipes is filled with fiberglass.
The gases enter the tip at an angle, and there's a sharp ridge or step
at some point that may act as a whistle whan air passes over it.
Maybe there's one in the stock peashooters too, both the pipes are
pretty darn thin. Maybe the sound comes from the perforation holes
themselves, if and when gases flow past them at a certain angle. Like
blowing air over a soda bottle top to make it whistle. Maybe... just
maybe, they get louder with age, when the factory fiberglass (?) packing
in there gets older and allows air inbetween the two pipes.

Take your pick

jan

--
--------------------------------
Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells
Old June 30th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

JeffRens wrote:
> ....Or something like that, I've seen it called. This is surely a
> silly question to the people in this newsgroup, but what is the
> chirping sound unique to the VW engine. I've had several people
> ask me about it and I had to plead ignorant... Thanks Jeff

I know how to get rid of it. The cheap pea-shooters can be
modified by driving out the insert, wrapping the insert with
stainless steel wool and tapping it back in. No more annoying
chirp without the loss of torque.

RT
--
E-mail=fullname,no initial-at-telus.net

Old July 1st 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

On 28 Jun 2006 20:44:46 -0700, "Bill Berckman"
> wrote:

>Actually it was John Henry that had a website called the Fweematorium
>that has actual sounds of Fweem. Seems like he turned the site over to
>Howard Rose, but not sure what happened to it after that. Have not
>heard Fweem mentioned much in the last few years.

I still host that site Bill. You can find it at:
http://fweematorium.howard81.co.uk/
--
Howard Rose
www.howard81.co.uk