Bronco good for offroad

Old August 26th 04, 06:43 PM
Anoni Mouse

Default Bronco good for offroad

Hi,

I'm looking at a 1984 Bronco 5spd. I don't know what size the engine is
yet, and everything else looks stock. I would like to know if this is a
good vehicle for offroading or not. I would be using it for a short work
commute and winter driving but wish to be able to do some trails too
even some of the lighter stuff in Moab over in Utah. Can anybody give me
some insight on this? Also, are later years (88-91) better?

Thanks,
Anoni
Old August 27th 04, 01:30 AM
Rick Colombo

With such precious little info, this looks like a troll to me, but...

You don't buy a 20yr vehicle for a daily commuter. Surely (don't call
me Shirley ;-) something catastrophic (i.e.; immobilizing it) will
happen by next week tuesday. I've owned a '80, '87 and (currently) a
'93 and Ford ever put a 5-spd in a Bronco. Wait a minute... now I get
it, you're talking about a Bronco-II (which shared parts with Mazda and
they did make a 5-spd), this is NOT a Bronco. If that's the case, then
I can't help you at all, because I own a Bronco. Guess I just fell for
another troll (or poorly worded subject line), oh well, good night.
-PapaRick

--

-PapaRick /Home <or> /Work
1972 MGB (Blue/Black top), w/1.8L 4-cyl inline, chrome bumpers

Old August 27th 04, 03:16 AM
Anoni Mouse

Rick Colombo wrote:
> With such precious little info, this looks like a troll to me, but...
>
> You don't buy a 20yr vehicle for a daily commuter. Surely (don't call
> me Shirley ;-) something catastrophic (i.e.; immobilizing it) will
> happen by next week tuesday. I've owned a '80, '87 and (currently) a
> '93 and Ford ever put a 5-spd in a Bronco. Wait a minute... now I get
> it, you're talking about a Bronco-II (which shared parts with Mazda and
> they did make a 5-spd), this is NOT a Bronco. If that's the case, then
> I can't help you at all, because I own a Bronco. Guess I just fell for
> another troll (or poorly worded subject line), oh well, good night.
> -PapaRick

> Anoni Mouse wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking at a 1984 Bronco 5spd. I don't know what size the engine
>> is yet, and everything else looks stock. I would like to know if this
>> is a good vehicle for offroading or not. I would be using it for a
>> short work commute and winter driving but wish to be able to do some
>> trails too even some of the lighter stuff in Moab over in Utah. Can
>> anybody give me some insight on this? Also, are later years (88-91)
>> better?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anoni

I'm not a troll. I can't afford two vehicles, but I also want something
to offroad with. This bronco looks like a good deal though I won't know
for sure for a couple of days when I go test drive it. I am able to fix
my vehicle if it breaks down and can ride a bike until I do get it
fixed. According to this:
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/faq.html , the larger 78+ bronco
did indeed come with a 4spd standard with a 3spd auto as an option. The
5spd was later offered and I believe available until they stopped
production. I have seen more than a few 5spd broncos and am suprised
that you have not.

I would still like someone's opinion on the stock bronco as a weekend
recreactional vehicle. Obviously, if I can't afford a more expensive
car, I won't be putting much money into upgrading it anytime soon so
does anybody have anything to say?

Thanks
Old August 27th 04, 05:24 AM
Carl Saiyed

Is it a full-size Bronco or a Bronco II? If it is a Bronco II, RUN. A
full size Bronco is good for light trail riding, Mud no deeper than
about 12", basically light, responsible off roading. If you go somewhere
that other's like to ride at and get stuck, someone will USUALLY be
willing to help you out. Bronco II's have either a 4cyl (sucky) or even
worse, the 2.8L 6cyl. Both motors are junk. Full size Broncos had
different, and better motors.

Also, note that if it is a v8 Bronco, you will be spending quite the
bundle on your daily-drive.

Where are you located? In some places it is hard to find trails suitible
for full-size SUVs such as the Bronco (Full size), Blazer(K-5), and
RamCharger.

Carl

nk.net...

Old August 27th 04, 07:27 PM
Ltine

"Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message >...
> Is it a full-size Bronco or a Bronco II? If it is a Bronco II, RUN. A
> full size Bronco is good for light trail riding, Mud no deeper than
> about 12", basically light, responsible off roading. If you go somewhere
> that other's like to ride at and get stuck, someone will USUALLY be
> willing to help you out. Bronco II's have either a 4cyl (sucky) or even
> worse, the 2.8L 6cyl. Both motors are junk. Full size Broncos had
> different, and better motors.
>
> Also, note that if it is a v8 Bronco, you will be spending quite the
> bundle on your daily-drive.
>
> Where are you located? In some places it is hard to find trails suitible
> for full-size SUVs such as the Bronco (Full size), Blazer(K-5), and
> RamCharger.
>
> Carl
>
> "Anoni Mouse" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > Rick Colombo wrote:
> > > With such precious little info, this looks like a troll to me,

> but...
> > >
> > > You don't buy a 20yr vehicle for a daily commuter. Surely (don't

> call
> > > me Shirley ;-) something catastrophic (i.e.; immobilizing it) will
> > > happen by next week tuesday. I've owned a '80, '87 and (currently)

> > > '93 and Ford ever put a 5-spd in a Bronco. Wait a minute... now I

> get
> > > it, you're talking about a Bronco-II (which shared parts with Mazda

> and
> > > they did make a 5-spd), this is NOT a Bronco. If that's the case,

> then
> > > I can't help you at all, because I own a Bronco. Guess I just fell

> for
> > > another troll (or poorly worded subject line), oh well, good night.
> > > -PapaRick

> engine

> this

> some

> > I'm not a troll. I can't afford two vehicles, but I also want

> something
> > to offroad with. This bronco looks like a good deal though I won't

> know
> > for sure for a couple of days when I go test drive it. I am able to

> fix
> > my vehicle if it breaks down and can ride a bike until I do get it
> > fixed. According to this:
> > http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/faq.html , the larger 78+

> bronco
> > did indeed come with a 4spd standard with a 3spd auto as an option.

> The
> > 5spd was later offered and I believe available until they stopped
> > production. I have seen more than a few 5spd broncos and am suprised
> > that you have not.
> >
> > I would still like someone's opinion on the stock bronco as a weekend
> > recreactional vehicle. Obviously, if I can't afford a more expensive
> > car, I won't be putting much money into upgrading it anytime soon so
> > does anybody have anything to say?
> >
> > Thanks

Hi,

I wish that I had something more encouraging to say about a
Bronco II from that era, but I don't. I am from Utah and I don't
think that would be a very good Moab cruiser. Secondly I have had at
least two different friends that had Bronco II's of the same
approximate vintage, both suffered from chronic mechanical problems.
This just seemed to be a transition phase for Ford, and the Bronco II
was eventually overtaken by the much more reliable Explorer. The
problem that I find people run into with this particular vehicle, is
as you said many of them still look to be in very good shape. But you
will find that most have suffered major mechanical problems, and
several have even sat for long periods, (thats why they still look
good). I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but If you could only
afford to buy one car, I would definitely warn against this model.
Old August 28th 04, 02:25 AM
Carl Saiyed

My sentiments exactly. The full size Bronco, however, is an OK choice.

Carl

om...

Old August 28th 04, 04:23 PM
Anoni Mouse

Carl Saiyed wrote:
> My sentiments exactly. The full size Bronco, however, is an OK choice.
>
> Carl
>

> "Ltine" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>"Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message

>>>Is it a full-size Bronco or a Bronco II? If it is a Bronco II, RUN.

>>>full size Bronco is good for light trail riding, Mud no deeper than
>>>about 12", basically light, responsible off roading. If you go

> somewhere
>
>>>that other's like to ride at and get stuck, someone will USUALLY be
>>>willing to help you out. Bronco II's have either a 4cyl (sucky) or

> even
>
>>>worse, the 2.8L 6cyl. Both motors are junk. Full size Broncos had
>>>different, and better motors.
>>>
>>>Also, note that if it is a v8 Bronco, you will be spending quite the
>>>bundle on your daily-drive.
>>>
>>>Where are you located? In some places it is hard to find trails

> suitible
>
>>>for full-size SUVs such as the Bronco (Full size), Blazer(K-5), and
>>>RamCharger.
>>>
>>>Carl
>>>
>>>"Anoni Mouse" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

>>> but...

> (don't
>
>>> call

> will

> (currently)

>>> get

> Mazda
>
>>> and

> case,
>
>>> then

> fell
>
>>> for

> night.

>>-------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> engine

> if
>
>>> this

> for a

>>> some

> Can

> (88-91)

>>> something

>>> know

>>> fix

>>> bronco

> option.
>
>>> The

> suprised

> weekend

> expensive

> so

>>Hi,
>>
>> I wish that I had something more encouraging to say about a
>>Bronco II from that era, but I don't. I am from Utah and I don't
>>think that would be a very good Moab cruiser. Secondly I have had at
>>least two different friends that had Bronco II's of the same
>>approximate vintage, both suffered from chronic mechanical problems.
>>This just seemed to be a transition phase for Ford, and the Bronco II
>>was eventually overtaken by the much more reliable Explorer. The
>>problem that I find people run into with this particular vehicle, is
>>as you said many of them still look to be in very good shape. But you
>>will find that most have suffered major mechanical problems, and
>>several have even sat for long periods, (thats why they still look
>>good). I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but If you could only
>>afford to buy one car, I would definitely warn against this model.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. The car I'm looking at is indeed a
full size Bronco which I'm looking at today, but I will probably end up
getting a slightly newer one I checked out a couple of days ago. I am
definately staying away from the Bronco II.

Thanks