What is this thing?

Old February 16th 05, 02:03 AM
Carl Saiyed

Default What is this thing?

89 XJ 4.0 5spd

Now that I got the lift on, it's time to get all the U-joints changed (they
are all worn). I got the front driveshaft out, marked all locations, ect. I
was able to use my vice and press out all the caps and get all the old
joints out. The rear portion of the front driveshaft is the double-cardon
type. It was a little tricky getting both joints out.

The portion of the driveshaft that attaches the rearmost of the three joints
to the transfer case connects to the driveshaft by slipping onto a shaft/pin
that comes out of the driveshaft There is a spring in the shaft/pin, and the
part has a ball inside with needle bearings that ride on the shaft/pin. Not
the part that connects the two joints together, but the part that that bolts
to the transfer case. This is the part I am having trouble with.

It came off with the rearmost U-joint. No biggie, I thought and continued to
assemble the middle joint. The portion in question would not go back into
the rubber sleeve and onto the pin it came from.. A few gentle taps with a
hammer didnt help. It was greased on the inside, but I ran a little grease
around the outside of the part that slides into the rubber sleeve. No Luck.
I checked the inside of the ball area and found that about half of the
needle bearings had come out!

This picture shows the front of the part in question.
http://www.geocities.com/carlsaiyed/front.JPG

This shows the rear of the part in question.
http://www.geocities.com/carlsaiyed/rear.jpg

This is where the part in question attaches to the driveshaft. Note the
lovely needle bearings on the
http://www.geocities.com/carlsaiyed/shaft.jpg

What do I do now?

Carl

Old February 16th 05, 03:21 AM
Jeff Strickland

"Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message
> 89 XJ 4.0 5spd
>
> Now that I got the lift on, it's time to get all the U-joints changed

(they
> are all worn). I got the front driveshaft out, marked all locations, ect.

> was able to use my vice and press out all the caps and get all the old
> joints out. The rear portion of the front driveshaft is the double-cardon
> type. It was a little tricky getting both joints out.
>
> The portion of the driveshaft that attaches the rearmost of the three

joints
> to the transfer case connects to the driveshaft by slipping onto a

shaft/pin
> that comes out of the driveshaft There is a spring in the shaft/pin, and

the
> part has a ball inside with needle bearings that ride on the shaft/pin.

Not
> the part that connects the two joints together, but the part that that

bolts
> to the transfer case. This is the part I am having trouble with.

I don't know the name of that part, but it is in the Parts Book, and is
available. Take the double cardan with you to the parts store.

> It came off with the rearmost U-joint. No biggie, I thought and continued

> assemble the middle joint. The portion in question would not go back into
> the rubber sleeve and onto the pin it came from.. A few gentle taps with a
> hammer didnt help. It was greased on the inside, but I ran a little grease
> around the outside of the part that slides into the rubber sleeve. No

Luck.
> I checked the inside of the ball area and found that about half of the
> needle bearings had come out!
>
> This picture shows the front of the part in question.
> http://www.geocities.com/carlsaiyed/front.JPG
>
> This shows the rear of the part in question.
> http://www.geocities.com/carlsaiyed/rear.jpg
>
> This is where the part in question attaches to the driveshaft. Note the
> lovely needle bearings on the
> http://www.geocities.com/carlsaiyed/shaft.jpg
>
> What do I do now?

You can get a new one, and the needle bearings will be held in place with
grease. Also, there is a ring made of sheet metal that goes around the
outside of this part, use your peen to make three or four dimples in the
sheet metal ring to hold it on.

Old February 16th 05, 04:14 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Carl,
I just use a pencil to push them back into place:
http://www.billhughes.com/CVJoint.jpg There plenty of room to spring the
socket yoke back to slip in their bearing caps, like it doesn't have go
together all at the same time.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old February 16th 05, 07:06 AM
Carl Saiyed

Thanks, Bill and Jeff. I got the new part.. $45.00

Got home, put it on, all the pins crashed to the bottom of the new one! I
was able to get them all back in order on the inside of the ball with my
tweezers.. I then got the new joint in only to discover a *new* problem.

The new joints won't fit inside of what I can only describe as the
"coupler".. the part that hooks the caps of the two joints together. The
semi-circle shaped clips fit into retaining grooves cut into the coupler and
hold the bearing caps in. The bearing cap slides snugly into the coupler but
with the joint in, the caps won't go far enough into the joint/couplerto
permit me to install the clips. The caps look like they have bottomed out on
the joint. I need less than 1mm more of the cap to go into the coupler for
the clip to fit in.

I tried putting one clip in, turning the assembly over and giving the other
cap a whack with the hammer and socket.. I ended up breaking 1/2 the clip
ridge out of the coupler (see picture). Is the coupler still useable? Do I
have the wrong joint? Can I grind down the clip? The top of one of the
bearing caps?

http://www.geocities.com/carlsaiyed/coupler.JPG

Thanks..

Carl

Old February 16th 05, 02:28 PM
Mike Romain

99% of the time that means you have dropped one needle under the cap and
it is holding it from going tighter. I use heavy grease to hold the
needles in place. Or you have the wrong joint..... Or the 'coupler' got
bent because a hammer was used 'too hard' taking out the old u-joints.
(saw that recently, someone used a 'big' hammer to get them out and bent
the yoke ears)

That coupler is now garbage in my opinion. Even the side not broken
looks already cracked or stressed at the same shear point as what fell
off. That joint looks like it was vibrated pretty bad to crack those
retainer casts or you or the last guy really beat the crap out of it
with a hammer.... Does the other side also show fatigue/stress cracks
around that ring area?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 16th 05, 05:07 PM
Jeff Strickland

What Mike said.

There is a spring and a pin that fit in the ball thingie, and there are a
dozen or so needle bearings as well. There can be two problems, one is that
one of the needles fell over, the other is that the grease you used to hold
the needles in place is more than fits in the space available. To fix the
second problem, take the zerk out so the extra grease can escape.

Old February 16th 05, 05:44 PM
Carl Saiyed

Thanks Mike.

Where can I get a new coupler? Do you know the part # of the correct
joint? I tried two or three of the same joint and none fit.

Thanks,

Carl

Old February 16th 05, 06:52 PM
Mike Romain

I only thought there was that one double Cardan type and a CV one.

I don't think there are varieties. What part of the ones you looked at
didn't fit?

Mike

Old February 16th 05, 07:59 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Carl,
A needle fell to the bottom of the cup. Buy another joint, and this
time push the first cup in to far, so as you may start the other cup on
the it's bearings with totally remove the star from the installed side.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 16th 05, 08:24 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Carl,
A needle fell to the bottom of the cup. Buy another joint, and this
time push the first cup in too far, so as you may start the other cup on
the it's bearings without totally remove the star from the installed
side.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/