starters from autozone

Old January 31st 05, 01:14 AM
avengerman

Default starters from autozone

Got a 99 avenger and the starter was clicking. Took it off and had it
tested and it tested bad. Got a new one and put it on and it is only
clicking also??Battery tested good at the zone and the cables arent
corroded or brittle. Also the engine is not locked up (thats the answer i
got from autozone). Anyone ever get a bad starter from them??

Old January 31st 05, 02:38 AM
Steve B.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:14:38 -0500, "avengerman"
> wrote:

>Got a 99 avenger and the starter was clicking. Took it off and had it
>tested and it tested bad. Got a new one and put it on and it is only
>clicking also??Battery tested good at the zone and the cables arent
>corroded or brittle. Also the engine is not locked up (thats the answer i
>got from autozone). Anyone ever get a bad starter from them??

I think a better question would be has anyone ever gotten a good
starter from them :-) Seriously they buy their rebuilts from the
rock bottom cheapest rebuilder they can find and it isn't uncommon at
all to go through a couple before you get one that last a few months.

Steve B.
Old January 31st 05, 02:53 AM
Larry Webb

avengerman wrote:

> Got a 99 avenger and the starter was clicking. Took it off and had it
> tested and it tested bad. Got a new one and put it on and it is only
> clicking also??Battery tested good at the zone and the cables arent
> corroded or brittle. Also the engine is not locked up (thats the answer i
> got from autozone). Anyone ever get a bad starter from them??

Possible bad ground connection on the engine block. With a good pair of
jumper cables, connect the negative battery terminal to the engine
block. If it starts, remove and clean the battery ground connection at
the block.

Larry
Old January 31st 05, 03:01 PM
avengerman

hanks for the info. It was bad. Had to drive to 3 different stores to find
one that tested good. Now i know to ask for a test before you walk out.

Old January 31st 05, 04:51 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, avengerman wrote:

> Got a 99 avenger and the starter was clicking.

Toasted contacts in the starter solenoid. Easy and cheap fix:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

> Got a new one

Naw, you didn't. Not really, not from Autozone. You got a "remanufactured"
unit, or else a copycat/counterfeit Chinese piece of garbage marketed as
"100% New!". Either way, by buying a starter at a consumer-type parts
store, you've just doomed yourself to repeated starter failures.

Old January 31st 05, 04:52 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, avengerman wrote:

> hanks for the info. It was bad. Had to drive to 3 different stores to
> find one that tested good. Now i know to ask for a test before you walk
> out.

Amazing. That's the conclusion you draw from this experience, eh?

Hope you carry a celphone and don't mind having a car that will just
decide not to start...
Old January 31st 05, 05:32 PM
avengerman

Old January 31st 05, 06:03 PM

For parts like this I will only get them at NAPA, CarQuest, the dealer,
or a junkyard. If getting parts from a junkyard, make sure that you
get one that came with the car. One of the best alternators I've ever
had already had 90,000 miles on it when I bought it.

Old January 31st 05, 06:04 PM

" think a better question would be has anyone ever gotten a =ADgood
starter from them :-) Seriously they buy their rebuilts =ADfrom the
rock bottom cheapest rebuilder they can find and it isn't un=ADcommon at

all to go through a couple before you get one that last a fe=ADw
months."

I agree. but the "good one" that you found won't last long either, so
you may as well go ahead and locate a NAPA or CarQuest nearby that has
one. My personal preference for these kids of parts is NAPA, junkyard,
or the dealer.

Old January 31st 05, 06:37 PM
Mike

I bought my last starter (and all my parts) from O'Reiley. No NAPA
around here. You guys have any problems with O'Reiley? I have been
happy with their parts.

Mike

Remote starters Brigitte Chrysler 32 January 7th 05 09:55 AM
How long Do AutoZone Batteries last? [email protected] VW air cooled 5 November 22nd 04 09:25 PM
Auto-Lite starters. George R. Antique cars 0 July 19th 03 10:06 AM