Tire Gauge?

Old January 22nd 05, 05:34 PM
Elle Navorski

Default Tire Gauge?

Is there a super-duper tire gauge on the market?

I have been using a pocket protector tire gauge for years. I bought an air
compressor last summer and now check my tires' pressure at least once a
month. I have found the pocket gage cumbersome to use. I can't consistently
fit it exactly on the tire valve to get a reading.

I'll pay the big bucks for the right device.

Old January 22nd 05, 05:43 PM
N.E.Ohio Bob

Elle Navorski wrote:
> Is there a super-duper tire gauge on the market?
>
> I have been using a pocket protector tire gauge for years. I bought an air
> compressor last summer and now check my tires' pressure at least once a
> month. I have found the pocket gage cumbersome to use. I can't consistently
> fit it exactly on the tire valve to get a reading.
>
> I'll pay the big bucks for the right device.

You already own the best tool for the job. Get some longer valve stems,
or valve extensions so you can have about 3/4 to one inch of valve
showing above the wheel cover. bob
Old January 22nd 05, 06:02 PM
John Ings

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:34:42 GMT, "Elle Navorski"
> wrote:

>Is there a super-duper tire gauge on the market?
>
>I have been using a pocket protector tire gauge for years. I bought an air
>compressor last summer and now check my tires' pressure at least once a
>month. I have found the pocket gage cumbersome to use. I can't consistently
>fit it exactly on the tire valve to get a reading.
>
>I'll pay the big bucks for the right device.

No big bucks required. You can buy a dial type pressure guage for only
a few bucks. When you say you bought an air compressor, did you mean a
big shop compressor or a little one that plugs into your car's
cigarette lighter? The latter should have a gauge built in. For a big
shop compressor you can get a tire filling attachment with built in
dial guage for under $10

Old January 22nd 05, 06:33 PM
Jason

In article et>, "Elle
Navorski" > wrote:

> Is there a super-duper tire gauge on the market?
>
> I have been using a pocket protector tire gauge for years. I bought an air
> compressor last summer and now check my tires' pressure at least once a
> month. I have found the pocket gage cumbersome to use. I can't consistently
> fit it exactly on the tire valve to get a reading.
>
> I'll pay the big bucks for the right device.

I purchased an excellent tire gauge at AutoZone. They sell two types of
tire gauges--buy both of them and use the one that you like the best. I
don't advise that you buy any tire gauge that makes use of batteries. I
once received such a gauge as a Christmas present. About one year later,
when I noticed that a tire was low--I tried to use the gauge and it would
NOT work since the battery was dead.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old January 22nd 05, 06:42 PM
Elle Navorski

Bob, I'll consider the valve extensions.

John, I bought a home shop type air compressor (oil lubricated) from Harbor
Freight for around $100 last summer. Max. pressure is about 115 psi.
Nothing fancy. But a big improvement on the cig lighter operated one I had
before. But my new compressor does not have a built in gage for measuring
the pressure of whatever I'm filling. It has only a gage at its main valve.

Jason, I'll check out Autozone first.

I'm sure a dial gage will be an improvement. Like you said, John, I have
seen them mounted on tire air fill tools and maybe will try one of these
first. I guess this is the closest to super-duper I'm going to get.

Thanks, men.

Old January 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
y_p_w

Elle Navorski wrote:

> Bob, I'll consider the valve extensions.
>
> John, I bought a home shop type air compressor (oil lubricated) from Harbor
> Freight for around $100 last summer. Max. pressure is about 115 psi.
> Nothing fancy. But a big improvement on the cig lighter operated one I had
> before. But my new compressor does not have a built in gage for measuring
> the pressure of whatever I'm filling. It has only a gage at its main valve.
>
> Jason, I'll check out Autozone first.
>
> I'm sure a dial gage will be an improvement. Like you said, John, I have
> seen them mounted on tire air fill tools and maybe will try one of these
> first. I guess this is the closest to super-duper I'm going to get.

Dial gauges are easier to read and likely more accurate. However -
they might lose their accuracy, especially when treated roughly. I
once dropped an Accugage dial gauge, and the readings were consistently
higher. I compared it to an undamamged gauge, and the readings were
about 40 psi when it was really around 30.

Many of the digital readout gauges are pretty accurate. At the very
least, they'll give the same consistent reading down to .5 psi. I've
got a Topeak digital gauge I bought at an Eddie Bauer store (I had
a $10 coupon). Topeak primarily makes bicycle equipment, but this
gauge works great with the "Schraeder" valves in car tires.

The pen type gauge isn't terribly accurate, and as you noted, difficult
to get a good read. I find that several measurements on the same tire
will yield a variable range.
Old January 22nd 05, 08:56 PM
Sparky

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Old January 22nd 05, 09:05 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, y_p_w wrote:

> Dial gauges are easier to read and likely more accurate.

Nope. There is nothing inherent in dial-type construction that makes these
gauges more accurate than stick-type gauges. There are good and bad
examples of all kinds of tire gauges (digital, dial and stick). I use a
very well made all-metal stick gauge which has been right on the nose both
times I've tested its calibration against a reference standard over the
last decade. But then, I also treat it carefully.

It's this one, for reference:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/search....pressure+gauge I've got the
one with the right-angle head, which can be a little difficult to use
sometimes. The inline type might be easier. Nevertheless, the differences
are large in build quality and accuracy between this and the common
mostly- or all-plastic stick gauges.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:37 PM
SoCalMike

Sparky wrote:
> Elle Navorski wrote:
>
>> Is there a super-duper tire gauge on the market?
>>
>> I have been using a pocket protector tire gauge for years. I bought an
>> air
>> compressor last summer and now check my tires' pressure at least once a
>> month. I have found the pocket gage cumbersome to use. I can't
>> consistently
>> fit it exactly on the tire valve to get a reading.
>>
>> I'll pay the big bucks for the right device.

> http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

sweet... but likely made in china like everything else. harbor freight
prolly has one made by the same supplier for $5 or so.
Old January 22nd 05, 11:45 PM
y_p_w

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, y_p_w wrote:
>

>>Dial gauges are easier to read and likely more accurate.

> Nope. There is nothing inherent in dial-type construction that makes these
> gauges more accurate than stick-type gauges. There are good and bad
> examples of all kinds of tire gauges (digital, dial and stick). I use a
> very well made all-metal stick gauge which has been right on the nose both
> times I've tested its calibration against a reference standard over the
> last decade. But then, I also treat it carefully.

The Meiser Accugage dial gauge was (for me) difficult to use
incorrectly and actually measures pressure directly. However - they
do have delicate parts (like the difference between a beam and a
clicker torque wrench). If you could add/remove pressure directly,
that gauge would be able to constantly monitor and accurately report
the change. Some dial gauges also go up higher (at least 60 psi)
when a typical pencil-type gauge stops at 50. This is nice for
compact spares and bicycle tires.

> It's this one, for reference:
> http://www.machinemart.co.uk/search....pressure+gauge I've got the
> one with the right-angle head, which can be a little difficult to use
> sometimes. The inline type might be easier. Nevertheless, the differences
> are large in build quality and accuracy between this and the common
> mostly- or all-plastic stick gauges.

Of course the stick type reports pressure by how far the thing shoots
out. If it's not inserted quickly and perfectly, I've found that they
underreport pressure and leak. That's one big reason I don't like
them.

Still - I keep one in my car just in case (along with the Topeak digital
gauge).