Urgent: Were w/s wipers STANDARD on a '40 Ford?

Old December 9th 03, 02:52 AM
Duncan Craig

Default Urgent: Were w/s wipers STANDARD on a '40 Ford?

I urgently need to know if windshield wipers were standard or optional on
1940 fords. Can anyone help with this information?

Old December 9th 03, 07:23 AM
Joe Way

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:52:42 -0500, "Duncan Craig"
> wrote:

>I urgently need to know if windshield wipers were standard or optional on
>1940 fords. Can anyone help with this information?

Absolutely, positively, standard equipment.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive
Old December 9th 03, 04:58 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Duncan Craig wrote:

> I urgently need to know if windshield wipers were standard or optional on
> 1940 fords. Can anyone help with this information?

Standard. They were driven by vacuum, not electricity.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 9th 03, 05:19 PM
snh9728

Did Business Coupes only have one wiper (driver's side)?

Steve H

Old December 9th 03, 10:19 PM
Rufus T. Firefly

I'm not sure about the 40 Ford in particular but up to 1940 or 1941 it was
fairly common for the base models of the inexpensive cars to only be fitted
with a driver's side wiper. A passenger side wiper was generally offered as
an option and if there was no wiper then a blank covered the opening in the
cowl or windshield header. The second wiper was a dealer installed option.
The deluxe models of the same car usually had both wipers as standard
equipment.

To give you an idea of just how things were, my 1937 Chevy Master Town Sedan
was sold not only with just the one wiper but the instrument panel did not
come with a temperature gauge as standard equipment. I always thought this
humorous as the old 216 engines had practically nothing for oil pressure yet
the car had an oil pressure gauge and the owners manual basically tells you
to ignore it as long as the needle moves a little. It is only a reference
to let you know the oil pump is working.

And we call that the good old days. LMAO

--
Mike.............................................. ......

Old December 10th 03, 01:50 AM
Rabbit

"Duncan Craig" > wrote in message
. ..
> I urgently need to know if windshield wipers were standard or optional on
> 1940 fords. Can anyone help with this information?

Standard. In 1936 Ford put dual wipers on their Deluxe models as standard
equipment (previously you got a driver's wiper only). Dual wipers were last
offered as an option on other models in 1938.

Rabbit

Old December 10th 03, 07:23 PM
Duncan Craig

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original question.
"Rabbit" > wrote in message

> "Duncan Craig" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I urgently need to know if windshield wipers were standard or optional

on
> > 1940 fords. Can anyone help with this information?
> >

> Standard. In 1936 Ford put dual wipers on their Deluxe models as standard
> equipment (previously you got a driver's wiper only). Dual wipers were

last
> offered as an option on other models in 1938.
>
> Rabbit

wipers fail in only two speeds Mogsie Alfa Romeo 1 January 12th 05 10:23 AM
Ford Coil Packs Bubba 4x4 2 April 21st 04 05:36 PM
FA: 1978 Ford Service Shop Manual JohnC Antique cars 0 November 15th 03 02:58 PM