99 Passat

Old September 24th 04, 08:40 PM
Tado

Default 99 Passat

I am considering buying a 99 Passat but just wanted to ask
the group first if there is any major problems with this car.
I was recently the owner of a 91 Passat and had tons of problems
with the auto tranny and ending up installing 3 used ones over a
course of 3 years but I heard the tranny problem was fixed on later
years.
TIA
Old September 24th 04, 10:29 PM
Woodchuck

It all depends on how well the former owner took care of the car. If he
fixed things when they broke and kept up with the service it should be OK.
If he never spent $$$ then you could be in trouble! Also 98 & up Passats use
a different trans then the old Passat's. I have replaced very few over the
years. So you want to know how good they are? If you have the choice then
purchase a extended warranty. I work at the dealer and I purchased a 99 GLX
Passat. That should tell you how good they are.

Old September 24th 04, 11:46 PM
Rob Guenther

I take it the newer style of the more rounded shape is just as good or
better then the original cars (like the 99) or the newer style then?

Thinking of one for next year. (Maybe an 03 or 04).

Old September 25th 04, 05:32 AM
Tony

I leased one for three years. Main problem was stopping power especially
when wet. There are no splash guards on the front rotors so braking in the
run was "fun" I used to press the brake for no reason just to skim of the
spray. The stock 195 tires are too small for this size car, I replaced mine
with 205s. Also, if you like a firm suspention then don't get this car -
very mushy.

Tony

Old September 25th 04, 05:33 AM
Tony

Forgot another thing. The rain in the gutter under the windshield empties on
to the battery.

Tony

. ..

Old September 25th 04, 12:18 PM
Woodchuck

Shouldn't if the water shields are there, but does it really matter? And yes
mine has 205-60-15 tires

. ..

Old September 25th 04, 07:00 PM
DriversWantedTech

Tie rod ends and control arms tend to wear badly on earlier Passats.

Old September 26th 04, 01:31 AM
Tado

Woodchuck wrote:

> It all depends on how well the former owner took care of the car. If he
> fixed things when they broke and kept up with the service it should be OK.
> If he never spent $$$ then you could be in trouble! Also 98 & up Passats use
> a different trans then the old Passat's. I have replaced very few over the
> years. So you want to know how good they are? If you have the choice then
> purchase a extended warranty. I work at the dealer and I purchased a 99 GLX
> Passat. That should tell you how good they are.
>
> "Tado" > wrote in message
>
>>I am considering buying a 99 Passat but just wanted to ask
>>the group first if there is any major problems with this car.
>>I was recently the owner of a 91 Passat and had tons of problems
>>with the auto tranny and ending up installing 3 used ones over a
>>course of 3 years but I heard the tranny problem was fixed on later
>>years.
>>TIA

Thanks for the info woodchuck, I purchased this car and am quite
happy with it, the triptronic tranny feels great to drive.
Is there a way to see if my car got all the necessary recalls done it?
Or what recalls there is out on this vehicle.
I am in Canada if it makes a difference.
thanks again
Old September 26th 04, 01:31 AM
Tado

Old September 26th 04, 01:39 AM
Woodchuck

Call a/your dealer and give them the VIN.