Popped Hatch Hinges

Old September 12th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
The Ranger

Default Popped Hatch Hinges

Yesterday, while taking a preteen charge home from school, I allowed
him to open the glass rear window to retreive his backpack. His
enthusiasm in closing the hatch blew the window back open; the
blowback popped both screws attaching the hinges to the car up out
of the body of my 96 Explorer. These two screws appear to be
stripped and give every appearance that they're ready to pop out
with every pothole and speed bump I drive over. Is this a minor
repair that I might perform using larger machine bolts or should I
take it into a Ford dealer to see what they might be able to do?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Old September 13th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Peter Cooper

I got at least three postcards from Ford on this (or a similar issue with
the rear glass) asking me to bring my 02' back to the dealer for repair.
Yours might be similar.

Old September 13th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
The Ranger

Peter Cooper > answered in message
after I asked:

> > Is this a minor repair that I might perform using
> > larger machine bolts or should I take it into a Ford
> > dealer to see what they might be able to do?
> >

> I got at least three postcards from Ford on this (or a
> similar issue with the rear glass) asking me to bring my
> 02' back to the dealer for repair. Yours might be similar.

I took it in today and the service bay drone wanted to write up a
ticket for runing a "diagnostic" to verify there was indeed a
problem. Hello?! The hinges are lifted up off the chasis and pulling
away, easily -- easily -- viewable without having to diagnose
anything. A quick lift of the back window will also show just how
precarious this is... <sigh> I'll probably eat my pride and bring it
back for that diagnostic.

BTW: Thanks for the idea. I'll be sure to mention it on the return
trip.

The Ranger

Old September 13th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

The Ranger wrote:
> Peter Cooper > answered in message
> after I asked:
>

>>>Is this a minor repair that I might perform using
>>>larger machine bolts or should I take it into a Ford
>>>dealer to see what they might be able to do?
>>>

>>I got at least three postcards from Ford on this (or a
>>similar issue with the rear glass) asking me to bring my
>>02' back to the dealer for repair. Yours might be similar.
>>

> I took it in today and the service bay drone wanted to write up a
> ticket for runing a "diagnostic" to verify there was indeed a
> problem. Hello?! The hinges are lifted up off the chasis and pulling
> away, easily -- easily -- viewable without having to diagnose
> anything. A quick lift of the back window will also show just how
> precarious this is... <sigh> I'll probably eat my pride and bring it
> back for that diagnostic.
>
> BTW: Thanks for the idea. I'll be sure to mention it on the return
> trip.
>
> The Ranger

There was a recall on my '94 that fixed this problem. Be sure there's
not a recall before paying any $.