Does PS fluid really need to be changed?

Old November 24th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KOB

Default Does PS fluid really need to be changed?

I keep seeing this on newsgroups and dealers always keep trying to sell
this. I have NEVER had the fluid changed in any car that I owned(only when
the hoses went out,then the pump/fluid was changed). Is this a scam?
I have a Dodge Caliber with 53K miles, and have never changed the fluid(car
is a 2007).

Old November 24th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KirkM

On Nov 23, 5:36*pm, KOB > wrote:
> I keep seeing this on newsgroups and dealers always keep trying to sell
> this. *I have NEVER had the fluid changed in any car that I owned(only when
> the hoses went out,then the pump/fluid was changed). *Is this a scam?
> I have a Dodge Caliber with 53K miles, and have never changed the fluid(car
> is a 2007).

Just like brake fluid, P/S fluid can degrade over time with moisture
entering the system through condensation. Your Caliber is new enough
that the fluid is probably still in good shape.

I would think that trying to keep moisture out of the system would
help the rack to last longer.

I had a flush done by a Tunex shop. I think they charged $59 to do it.
I was going to try it myself, but did not have the line wrench to
disconnect the hoses.

KM
Old November 24th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

constant heat is bad for it too

Old November 24th 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KOB

Rob wrote:

> constant heat is bad for it too
>

> "KirkM" > wrote in message
> On Nov 23, 5:36 pm, KOB > wrote:
>> I keep seeing this on newsgroups and dealers always keep trying to sell
>> this. I have NEVER had the fluid changed in any car that I owned(only
>> when the hoses went out,then the pump/fluid was changed). Is this a scam?
>> I have a Dodge Caliber with 53K miles, and have never changed the
>> fluid(car
>> is a 2007).

> Just like brake fluid, P/S fluid can degrade over time with moisture
> entering the system through condensation. Your Caliber is new enough
> that the fluid is probably still in good shape.
>
> I would think that trying to keep moisture out of the system would
> help the rack to last longer.
>
> I had a flush done by a Tunex shop. I think they charged $59 to do it.
> I was going to try it myself, but did not have the line wrench to
> disconnect the hoses.
>
> KM

Thanks Rob and KirkM. Might have this done then, if I can get the Mobile
Oil Change to do it reasonably. At what mileage/year would you do it?

Old November 24th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:36:15 -0500, KOB > wrote:

>I keep seeing this on newsgroups and dealers always keep trying to sell
>this. I have NEVER had the fluid changed in any car that I owned(only when
>the hoses went out,then the pump/fluid was changed). Is this a scam?
>I have a Dodge Caliber with 53K miles, and have never changed the fluid(car
>is a 2007).

It's not particularly necessary. I've had many cars running over 100K
that never had the fluid changed. Certainly changing it won't hurt
but if you wind up paying $50 every 25K miles you may wind up paying
more for fluid changes they you would ever pay for repairs in the long
run. What I do is buy a $2 turkey baster and suck out as much fluid
as I can from the reservoir and then put new in. Do that every year
or two and you should be fine and it will cost a lot less then paying
to have it done.
Old November 26th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KOB

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:08:07 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:36:15 -0500, KOB > wrote:
>
>>I keep seeing this on newsgroups and dealers always keep trying to sell
>>this. I have NEVER had the fluid changed in any car that I owned(only
>>when the hoses went out,then the pump/fluid was changed). Is this a
>>scam? I have a Dodge Caliber with 53K miles, and have never changed the
>>fluid(car is a 2007).

> It's not particularly necessary. I've had many cars running over 100K
> that never had the fluid changed. Certainly changing it won't hurt but
> if you wind up paying $50 every 25K miles you may wind up paying more
> for fluid changes they you would ever pay for repairs in the long run.
> What I do is buy a $2 turkey baster and suck out as much fluid as I can
> from the reservoir and then put new in. Do that every year or two and
> you should be fine and it will cost a lot less then paying to have it
> done.

Ashton,
That sounds like a good idea! Just don't use it for the Thanksgiving
bird after!