PT Transmission Question for the techs.

Old December 30th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
pe2[_2_]

Default PT Transmission Question for the techs.

Hello all-

first time posting in a long time-our PT's have been doing great!!!!!

CAR: 2003 PT/LE. 4 Cyl. Automatic

Question-Today, on the while getting on the highway-the PT would not
accelarate when we hit the gas. When you accelarate normal-you can hear the
car shift gears, until you get up to 55 - 65 mph or normal cruise.

The car would not shift the gears, the RPM/Tac went bizerk and pegged to
about 4000, then we shut it off. We let the car rest awhile, and checked the
fluid levels for the tran., which was normal. We started the car back up,
pulled off and as soon as we accelarated again-it revved high again.We shut
it down again-and called AAA/ had it towed home.

Any thoughts on this matter most welcome. Is there a switch, or is the
transmission ka-put????

Old December 31st 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
carlkeehn

"pe2" > wrote in message
news
> Hello all-
>
> first time posting in a long time-our PT's have been doing great!!!!!
>
> CAR: 2003 PT/LE. 4 Cyl. Automatic
>
> Question-Today, on the while getting on the highway-the PT would not
> accelarate when we hit the gas. When you accelarate normal-you can hear
> the
> car shift gears, until you get up to 55 - 65 mph or normal cruise.
>
> The car would not shift the gears, the RPM/Tac went bizerk and pegged to
> about 4000, then we shut it off. We let the car rest awhile, and checked
> the
> fluid levels for the tran., which was normal. We started the car back up,
> pulled off and as soon as we accelarated again-it revved high again.We
> shut
> it down again-and called AAA/ had it towed home.
>
> Any thoughts on this matter most welcome. Is there a switch, or is the
> transmission ka-put????

If the car still drove but didn't shift gears, you went into "limp" mode.
When the transmission controller detects something out of spec, it goes into
limp mode which locks you into 2nd gear. It could be something simple like
a sensor or it could a more major problem. You need to get the transmission
checked.

Old December 31st 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
pe2[_2_]

Appreciate the help-

The transmission is gone at 70k+. We had it checked, and the fluid line had
low pressure. The tech said the pump was gone, and if there were any
shavings in the trans, then if it went thru the pump/trans-would not shift
properly.

A wonderful christmas present to be had on Christmas eve!
pe2