Smell of Gasoline ('99 Wrangler Sahara)

Old December 5th 04, 12:37 AM
Hovav Frenkel

Default Smell of Gasoline ('99 Wrangler Sahara)

Folks,

My Jeep started to give off a strong smell of gasoline, coming from the left
(driver) side -- middle section. The smell comes from somewhere outside the
cabin, in front of the refueling opening (not from the opening itself,)
possibly from the upper area of the fuel tank. The smell is noticeable
shortly after starting the engine, and continues for as long as the engine
is running and for about two hours after engine shut-down. There are no
obvious gas leaks. Has anybody else experienced the same? Any suggestions?
Obviously, I need to get this thing fixed immediately due to fire hazard.
Would be helpful to know the possible cause before taking the Jeep to the
dealer/mechanic.

Thanks for any help,
Hovav Frenkel
San Antonio, TX
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Old December 5th 04, 01:06 PM
SoK66

"Hovav Frenkel" > wrote in message
. com...
> Folks,
>
> My Jeep started to give off a strong smell of gasoline, coming from the
> left (driver) side -- middle section. The smell comes from somewhere
> outside the cabin, in front of the refueling opening (not from the opening
> itself,) possibly from the upper area of the fuel tank. The smell is
> noticeable shortly after starting the engine, and continues for as long as
> the engine is running and for about two hours after engine shut-down.
> There are no obvious gas leaks. Has anybody else experienced the same?
> Any suggestions? Obviously, I need to get this thing fixed immediately due
> to fire hazard. Would be helpful to know the possible cause before taking
> the Jeep to the dealer/mechanic.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Hovav Frenkel
> San Antonio, TX
> 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Just a thought, but it sounds like you might have a problem with the
evaporative emissions system, likely a loose or crimped vent line.

Old December 5th 04, 01:06 PM
SoK66

Old December 5th 04, 01:53 PM
HarryS

If you do not see fuel on the ground check your hoses to your charcol
canister it is up behing the rear fender well more than likely your purge
hose is dry rotted, replace them all at ths point.

HarryS

Old December 5th 04, 01:53 PM
HarryS

Old December 5th 04, 04:25 PM
RocknTJ

This would be my thought because, soon as you start it there is a bit of
vacuum applied to the cannister. The vacuum is supposed to remove the HC
(unburnt fuel) from it.

Old December 5th 04, 04:25 PM
RocknTJ

Old December 5th 04, 07:12 PM
Mike Romain

If you have a canister problem it should set off a code and very likely
set off the 'check engine' light. The canister is under the hood on the
fender. I am not sure if you can get the codes yourself on a 99 using
the key, someone else here should know for sure.

There are a bunch of fittings in the area you mention, there is a roll
over check valve and a fluid trap in the line to the canister which is
the vent. Also the tank to frame line connections are hoses with
clamps. Could maybe be a loose connection or a broken hose there
somewhere. I would be thinking vent line because it doesn't leak also.

The filler hose also has a vent line. Maybe it's loose or cracked?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 5th 04, 07:12 PM
Mike Romain

Old December 6th 04, 07:27 PM

Wow this is weird, I too have the same exact thing and was going to
post on it today!... I have had a slight smell of gas (noticeble more
when i have the jeep in the garage and it is closed) and i just thought
i might have leaked a bit after my last fill up, that has been going on
for about 2 weeks.. and today my check engine light came on.. i did the
key trick for the diag code and got 'P 1486' which is "pinched of
blocked hose in the evaportative hose system"
How do i fix this? is it it urgent?

Kurt