New A6 3.2 Quattro

Old August 18th 04, 10:42 AM
Alex

Default New A6 3.2 Quattro

Why is this only available with a tiptronic gearbox? I think I'm right in
saying you can only have a manual gearbox with a non-quattro 3.2, in the UK
anyway.

Looked a lovely car in the showroom I must say.

Old August 18th 04, 10:56 AM
Steve Grauman

>Why is this only available with a tiptronic gearbox?

The execs at VW/Audi have grown so far out of touch with what the vast majority
of buyers *want* these days it's scary. There's no chance what-so-ever of the
new A6 making any in-roads on the territory still owned by the MB E-Class and,
most prominantly, the BMW 5-Series. Based on the reviews I've seen, both from
domestic mags here in the U.S. and imported mags from Europe (such as CAR and
EVO), the car still isn't nearly quick enough, doesn't handle well enough, and
generally lacks in the areas where it matters. Audi is fighting brands with
better reputations, which carry more prestige and which have a more respectable
lineage, but they refuse to take the segment seriously. It's the same poor
decision making that's *still* keeping the A4 a second-tier vehicle in
comparison to the C-Class and 3-Series, and why CAR and just about everyone
else agrees that the BMW 1-Series will be a better class of vehicles, at least
in terms of dynamics, then the MKV Golf and A3. I don't know about the European
market, but Audi hasn't offered a 6-speed manual on the 2.7T powered A6 for 2
years now here in the U.S, they've never offered us a stick on the 3.0 and they
won't on the new A6 3.2 either. And what about the current G35 and upcoming
535? Did Audi just forget they existed/are coming while making the decision to
use a 3.2 litre mill instead of going with a more potent motor of larger
displacement? The S6 pales in comparison to the M5, only the greatly more
expensive RS6 can better it, and that will undoubtedly be the case again next
time around. I've had a great deal of fun with my MKIV GTi, but when it comes
time for another new car, it'll probably be a BMW. Audi simply doesn't seem to
care what I want.
Old August 18th 04, 01:24 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Alex" > wrote:

> Why is this only available with a tiptronic gearbox? I think I'm
> right in saying you can only have a manual gearbox with a non-quattro
> 3.2, in the UK anyway.

I'm not sure of the technical reason, but the manual 3.2 quattro is
being released in the UK next year.

> Looked a lovely car in the showroom I must say.

It looks good on the road, too.

I might even replace my current RS6 when the new RS Avant is released!

Old August 18th 04, 07:05 PM
Mike Smith

Alex wrote:

> Why is this only available with a tiptronic gearbox? I think I'm right in
> saying you can only have a manual gearbox with a non-quattro 3.2, in the UK
> anyway.

Consider yourself lucky. In the US, the initial offering will be
Tip-only, Quattro-only. Manual/FWD is not even an option.

--
Mike Smith
Old September 5th 04, 04:11 AM
Rusty NAilz

Steve,

The day that BMW remembers Customer Service ala Audi is the day I go back.
There are some very important intangables that create an enjoyable
environment rarely known in today's industry. The pure numbers dictate that
the Ducati is a superior motorcycle, yet there are an exceedingly high
number of Harley-Davidson owners that don't agree. Passion weights heavy in
the heart of the enthusiast.
My $0.02

Robert

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >Why is this only available with a tiptronic gearbox?

> The execs at VW/Audi have grown so far out of touch with what the vast

majority
> of buyers *want* these days it's scary. There's no chance what-so-ever of

the
> new A6 making any in-roads on the territory still owned by the MB E-Class

and,
> most prominantly, the BMW 5-Series. Based on the reviews I've seen, both

from
> domestic mags here in the U.S. and imported mags from Europe (such as CAR

and
> EVO), the car still isn't nearly quick enough, doesn't handle well enough,

and
> generally lacks in the areas where it matters. Audi is fighting brands

with
> better reputations, which carry more prestige and which have a more

respectable
> lineage, but they refuse to take the segment seriously. It's the same poor
> decision making that's *still* keeping the A4 a second-tier vehicle in
> comparison to the C-Class and 3-Series, and why CAR and just about

everyone
> else agrees that the BMW 1-Series will be a better class of vehicles, at

least
> in terms of dynamics, then the MKV Golf and A3. I don't know about the

European
> market, but Audi hasn't offered a 6-speed manual on the 2.7T powered A6

for 2
> years now here in the U.S, they've never offered us a stick on the 3.0 and

they
> won't on the new A6 3.2 either. And what about the current G35 and

upcoming
> 535? Did Audi just forget they existed/are coming while making the

decision to
> use a 3.2 litre mill instead of going with a more potent motor of larger
> displacement? The S6 pales in comparison to the M5, only the greatly more
> expensive RS6 can better it, and that will undoubtedly be the case again

next
> time around. I've had a great deal of fun with my MKIV GTi, but when it

comes
> time for another new car, it'll probably be a BMW. Audi simply doesn't

seem to
> care what I want.

Tow hitch on '99 A6 2.8 Quattro? Thundersmash Audi 2 August 13th 04 05:41 PM
mpg for a quattro? Dano Audi 3 August 3rd 04 06:49 PM
A3 2.0 TDI quattro... but when? Justin Stringfellow Audi 1 June 23rd 04 04:06 PM
2001 Audi TT Quattro FOR SALE Gary Audi 0 June 14th 04 03:46 PM
84 quattro oil buzzer [email protected] Audi 3 May 17th 04 02:36 PM