Miata Soft Top - Food for Thought

Old June 12th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

Default Miata Soft Top - Food for Thought

XS11E wrote:

> Would you believe 149.5 lbs?

I'd settle for 149.3! not a penny more

seriously, I'm an IT guy, don't do bench presses or nothing (beer cans
are my limit). so I reeeaaaly doubt that I can lift 70kg with my right
arm stretched out and all

on second thought, if I can lift it, then I'm waaay to macho for this
girlie car! screw you guys I'm buyin' s2k!
Old June 12th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

XS11E wrote:
> Carbon > wrote:
>
>> I've never lifted the top from outside the car. I just reach
>> around and grab it.

> Now we know you're real name is Incredible Hulk? Or possibly Clark
> Kent?
>
> You'd be more than welcome to try that on my top but you'd better bring
> two helpers to stand outside and lift!
>
> It takes approximately 150 lbs of force to lift the first 3 inches,
> after that, it's easy.

I did (do) operate the tops of my NA and my NC and have been doing it since
'91. The only time I wasn't able to handle the NA was after I tore my right
rotator cuff while avoiding an accident. It was probably six months after
the surgery before I was able to handle it and then it wasn't too
comfortable. I am certainly not above average strength for a 60+ male but I
really think that the operation is more a matter of technique than brute
force. I will add that cold weather makes either sort of top stiff and
uncooperative but the NC, with the no-zip window and spring-counterbalanced
frame, is easier than the NA ever was.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old June 13th 09, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2009-06-12, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> It takes approximately 150 lbs of force to lift the first 3 inches,

> Aw, c'mon. Couldn't be more than 120.

> My right shoulder is fubared from too many dirt bike crashes in the
> '70s. No way can I raise the top from inside the car.

Having not ridden (or crashed) dirt bikes in the 70's, I can
reach back with my right arm and lift the roof on my '03 -- but
just barely (and if I've just finished working out, I just
can't manage it). I suspect it's not something I'll be able to
do for too many more years unless I start going to the gym a
lot more regularly. :/

--
Grant

Old June 13th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
CR[_2_]

If you need a comparison - just go to a Pontiac or Saturn dealer (hurry
....before they are extinct) and test the convertible top on a Solstice/Sky.
You will lavish praise on the design of the MX5 convertible top.

Old June 13th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Carbon wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:16:31 +0100, Rob wrote:
>> XS11E > wrote:
>>
>>> (1992 with Robbins zipperless glass window top)

>> Having a glass window makes the roof *much* heavier. I struggle to
>> get the roof up from the driver's seat on my 1996 Eunos Roadster with
>> a mohair roof and heated glass window. No roll-bar for me, but the
>> brace bar behind the seats makes it a stretch to get to the 'handle'
>> in the middle of the front fame, which is below the bar, and it has to
>> be lifted vertically for the first couple of inches to clear the brace
>> bar. Oooohmeshoulder! Much easier to get out of the car to lift it,
>> or to half get out like XS11E does.

> I've never lifted the top from outside the car. I just reach around and
> grab it. The whole operation takes less than 10 seconds. It is easier to
> do if you undo the seatbelt first. I have a vinyl top with glass window
> if that makes a difference.

I have an NB, with Mohair and glass screen here and I can happily raise
the roof from the drivers seat. I usually lean over towards the
passenger side without my seatbelt on and use my right arm (right hand
drive). It's harder to co-ordinate my left arm into the handle. I
guess it would just take practice, but I'll happily accept that not
everyone is physiologically capable. (c:

--
Douglas
Old June 14th 09, 07:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On 12 Jun 2009 18:22:04 GMT, Carbon >
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:16:31 +0100, Rob wrote:
>> XS11E > wrote:
>>
>>> (1992 with Robbins zipperless glass window top)

>> Having a glass window makes the roof *much* heavier. I struggle to
>> get the roof up from the driver's seat on my 1996 Eunos Roadster with
>> a mohair roof and heated glass window. No roll-bar for me, but the
>> brace bar behind the seats makes it a stretch to get to the 'handle'
>> in the middle of the front fame, which is below the bar, and it has to
>> be lifted vertically for the first couple of inches to clear the brace
>> bar. Oooohmeshoulder! Much easier to get out of the car to lift it,
>> or to half get out like XS11E does.

>I've never lifted the top from outside the car. I just reach around and
>grab it. The whole operation takes less than 10 seconds. It is easier to
>do if you undo the seatbelt first. I have a vinyl top with glass window
>if that makes a difference.

Yep, NC top is just rach back, filp it up and lock.
You can do it stopped at a traffic light

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
Old June 16th 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carol[_3_]

On my NBs (an 03 and an 04) it was reach back, hook fingers under edge of
header, flip up, pop pop - both latches closed.

On my NC (08) it's reach back, fit fingers into designed finger-thingee,
grunt like a tennis player, grit teeth, pray for my right rotator cuff and
heave. Clunk - latch is closed.

I actually had someone say they thought the NC top was lighter than the NB.
I know I looked at them like they were insane.

-Carol

Old June 16th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Carol wrote:
> On my NBs (an 03 and an 04) it was reach back, hook fingers under
> edge of header, flip up, pop pop - both latches closed.
>
> On my NC (08) it's reach back, fit fingers into designed
> finger-thingee, grunt like a tennis player, grit teeth, pray for my
> right rotator cuff and heave. Clunk - latch is closed.

I'm struggling with a torn tendon in my right shoulder now...trying to avoid
surgery. I have no recollection of injuring it, but you may have identified
the cause. That's how I routinely raise, er raised, my top. Not anymore.

Old June 16th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Carol" > wrote:

> On my NC (08) it's reach back, fit fingers into designed
> finger-thingee, grunt like a tennis player, grit teeth, pray for
> my right rotator cuff and heave. Clunk - latch is closed.

I test drove an NC when they first came out and found I could raise and
lower the top effortlessly from the driver's seat while my NA remains
impossible from the driver's seat.

I have to believe there's a HUGE difference from car to car?

Maybe today I'll remove the tonneau cover on my NA, raise the top and
see about slightly loosening something to make the initial effort
less.... or maybe not.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org