What is "premium diesel"?

Old September 23rd 04, 02:51 AM

Default What is "premium diesel"?

A station near where I live in central Indiana has two kinds of diesel
fuel, one they call "premium." As we all know, extra high compression
and force-fed gas engines need higher octane "premium" fuel to avoid
engine knock, but "premium diesel"? What gives?

TIA for any profound information on this
Old September 23rd 04, 04:03 AM
Rob Guenther

We have it up here at some stations, goes by the name "Gold Diesel"
(Sunoco).... Friend of mine swears by it, saying you get more power and that
it's cleaner (his dad does drive big diesel rigs... so maybe there is some
truth to it).... I tried it and it didn't make a lick of difference.

Old September 23rd 04, 05:28 AM
Matt B.

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
. ..
> We have it up here at some stations, goes by the name "Gold Diesel"
> (Sunoco).... Friend of mine swears by it, saying you get more power and
> that it's cleaner (his dad does drive big diesel rigs... so maybe there is
> some truth to it).... I tried it and it didn't make a lick of difference.

Just a guess but maybe a different cetane rating or something like that?

Old September 23rd 04, 12:34 PM
DriversWantedTech

Or, perhaps it's the European "low sulpher" diesel that has been used for
years overseas. Supposedly we're supposed to be getting it by '05 or '06.
Which would be nice, since that would allow for cleaner, more powerful, more
efficient diesels to be imported to us.

Old September 23rd 04, 03:44 PM
Tony Bad

Not sure what it may mean at your station, but back in the olden days, when I
first bought my 79 diesel (in 79) Union 76 stations had #1 and #2 diesel. The #1
was advertised as premium, and had a higher kerosene content. My car ran
smoother, quieter, and seemed to have more power (which is a fairly useless term
when discussing a 48HP engine) on #1 diesel.

I could only get it when traveling out of my area, as there were no Union 76
stations. I was later told that the #1 offers less lubrication than #2...so you
win and lose with the "premium" product.

Like I said, not sure whether this info applies to your situation.

Sorry it isn't very profound. The only time anyone ever said I was profound, it
was that I was profoundly stupid.

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old September 23rd 04, 03:45 PM
Matt B.

"DriversWantedTech" > wrote in message
m...
> Or, perhaps it's the European "low sulpher" diesel that has been used for
> years overseas. Supposedly we're supposed to be getting it by '05 or '06.
> Which would be nice, since that would allow for cleaner, more powerful,
> more efficient diesels to be imported to us.

Good call...could be the case too.

But I'm sure that California will find a way to legislate away the diesels
then too :-(

Old September 23rd 04, 03:55 PM
Brian Running

> A station near where I live in central Indiana has two kinds of diesel
> fuel, one they call "premium." As we all know, extra high compression
> and force-fed gas engines need higher octane "premium" fuel to avoid
> engine knock, but "premium diesel"? What gives?
>
> TIA for any profound information on this

Usually it has to do with the additives in the fuel. A lot of truck stops
offer diesel with injector cleaners and anti-gel additives, and even in
unblended form they'd claim that it was good down to low outdoor temps. I'd
guess your "premium" is something along those lines.

There are big variations in diesel fuel quality, some are very noticeably
better than others. I think the differences are even more noticeable when
you're dealing with an engine that puts out 52 HP, because even a small drop
in power represents a relatively large percentage decrease. Back when I was
still flogging around an '85 Jetta diesel, the best was from Shell, and the
worst was from Superamerica. The best thing about the diesel was that you
could use those really big, fat hoses at truck stops, and you could fill
your tank in no time flat.

Old September 23rd 04, 04:04 PM
Joseph Meehan

Brian Running wrote:
>> A station near where I live in central Indiana has two kinds of diesel
>> fuel, one they call "premium." As we all know, extra high compression
>> and force-fed gas engines need higher octane "premium" fuel to avoid
>> engine knock, but "premium diesel"? What gives?
>>
>> TIA for any profound information on this

> Usually it has to do with the additives in the fuel. A lot of truck stops
> offer diesel with injector cleaners and anti-gel additives, and even in
> unblended form they'd claim that it was good down to low outdoor temps.
> I'd
> guess your "premium" is something along those lines.
>
> There are big variations in diesel fuel quality, some are very noticeably
> better than others. I think the differences are even more noticeable when
> you're dealing with an engine that puts out 52 HP, because even a small
> drop
> in power represents a relatively large percentage decrease. Back when I
> was
> still flogging around an '85 Jetta diesel, the best was from Shell, and
> the
> worst was from Superamerica. The best thing about the diesel was that you
> could use those really big, fat hoses at truck stops, and you could fill
> your tank in no time flat.

Not only fast, but it did not do all the foaming.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old September 24th 04, 12:05 AM
sd

In article > ,
"DriversWantedTech" > wrote:

> perhaps it's the European "low sulpher" diesel that has been used for
> years overseas. Supposedly we're supposed to be getting it by '05 or '06.

"Premium" diesel in the U.S. most assuredly is not that. At least not
until 2005/2006.

Typically "Premium" means additives have been put in the fuel to bump
up the cetane level (kind of like octane, but not) and, often, the
lubricity of the fuel. The quality of the additives, though, and the
ultimate quality of the fuel varies quite a lot. Sometimes "Premium"
is little more than a marketing job.

One other thing to consider is that since Premium is more expensive
than good ol' #2 diesel, some stations don't move very much of it,
which means you may be adding a significant amount of water, algae,
etc., to your car's fuel system by pumping the slow-moving (but-more
expensive!) Premium. Make sure you buy it at a station that keeps it
fresh.

sd
Old September 24th 04, 05:29 AM
Roger Brown

sd wrote:

> In article > ,
> "DriversWantedTech" > wrote:
>
> > perhaps it's the European "low sulpher" diesel that has been used for
> > years overseas. Supposedly we're supposed to be getting it by '05 or '06.

> "Premium" diesel in the U.S. most assuredly is not that. At least not
> until 2005/2006.
>
> Typically "Premium" means additives have been put in the fuel to bump
> up the cetane level (kind of like octane, but not) and, often, the
> lubricity of the fuel. The quality of the additives, though, and the
> ultimate quality of the fuel varies quite a lot. Sometimes "Premium"
> is little more than a marketing job.
>
> One other thing to consider is that since Premium is more expensive
> than good ol' #2 diesel, some stations don't move very much of it,
> which means you may be adding a significant amount of water, algae,
> etc., to your car's fuel system by pumping the slow-moving (but-more
> expensive!) Premium. Make sure you buy it at a station that keeps it
> fresh.

Yep, usually a few points higher cetane rating (cetane is essentially
the inverse of octane rating, its measures the ability of the fuel to
burn when injected into the cylinder under pressure) and usually has a
better additive mix for pump lubrication. You could get about the same
thing by adding some Stanadyne Performance Formula and 2-stroke motor
oil to the tank.

--
Roger

77 GMC Sierra diesel 4x4 questions Aegeas 4x4 1 October 20th 04 07:54 AM
Is all diesel the same? Jonno Audi 4 May 18th 04 07:55 PM
Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery? Exit 4x4 36 January 20th 04 04:12 PM