Audi A4 Tempremental starter

Old July 10th 05, 12:57 PM
Steve Wade

Default Audi A4 Tempremental starter

I have an A4 which regularly, over the past few years, has become a bad
starter.

1.8 (110,000)

Engine turns over well but won't fire.

Can't see any pattern - leave to stand or persistence seems to get it done
but Missus not very happy.

I think a cure would be better than a trade-in (and cheaper).

Non-VAG garage says he can't find nothing wrong - any ideas?

Old July 10th 05, 02:38 PM
Ted

"Steve Wade" > wrote in message

> I have an A4 which regularly, over the past few years, has become a bad
> starter.
>
> 1.8 (110,000)
>
> Engine turns over well but won't fire.
>
> Can't see any pattern - leave to stand or persistence seems to get it done
> but Missus not very happy.
>
> I think a cure would be better than a trade-in (and cheaper).
>
> Non-VAG garage says he can't find nothing wrong - any ideas?

start by changing the cheap stuff, plugs, leads etc. If that does not
correct the problem then £30 on an ECU check might be worth the money.
Though this does mean car is off the road for 4/5 days. A garage VAG check
would cost much more but the car remains operational.

Old July 11th 05, 02:21 PM
Steve Sears

Steve,
Did the "non-VAG garage" pull the error codes from the engine management?
No patterns like following a period of hard driving, rain, refuelling, etc.?
How old is the battery/wires/plugs/?
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old July 13th 05, 01:23 PM
JP Roberts

Very likely a bad G62 Coolant Temperature Sensor.

My two cents,

JP Roberts

P.S.: Had the same symptoms.

"Steve Wade" > escribió en el mensaje

> I have an A4 which regularly, over the past few years, has become a bad
> starter.
>
> 1.8 (110,000)
>
> Engine turns over well but won't fire.
>
> Can't see any pattern - leave to stand or persistence seems to get it done
> but Missus not very happy.
>
> I think a cure would be better than a trade-in (and cheaper).
>
> Non-VAG garage says he can't find nothing wrong - any ideas?

the starter and neurtral safety swich are good KingWalter Technology 12 February 13th 05 10:29 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 December 18th 04 09:28 AM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
74 Cutlass with starting problem Amanda Robin Antique cars 12 October 26th 04 02:46 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM