Westy Opinions?

Old February 27th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Westy Opinions?

I'm gearing up to buy a bus; I guess one VW just isn't enough.
Specifically, I have narrowed my sights on the '68-'71 Westies. I am,
however, interested in any opinions on the pop-top vs. non-pop-top
debate. I'm leaning towards the pop-top, if I have my choice, for the
standing headroom. I am not planning on using the cot for sleeping,
I've heard it's not much for comfort anyway.

Anyone have an opinion? Is the pop-top and it's added headroom and
ventilation worth holding out for, or does a hard-top have any added
advantages besides less complexity?

Thanks in advance!

Old March 3rd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

In article .com>,
"sped372" > wrote:

> I'm gearing up to buy a bus; I guess one VW just isn't enough.
> Specifically, I have narrowed my sights on the '68-'71 Westies. I am,
> however, interested in any opinions on the pop-top vs. non-pop-top
> debate. I'm leaning towards the pop-top, if I have my choice, for the
> standing headroom. I am not planning on using the cot for sleeping,
> I've heard it's not much for comfort anyway.
>
> Anyone have an opinion? Is the pop-top and it's added headroom and
> ventilation worth holding out for, or does a hard-top have any added
> advantages besides less complexity?
>
> Thanks in advance!

we have a third option. it's a fixed fiberglass high top. non-moveable
adds about 2 and 1/2 feet to to full length.
you can have it for the removal. N.CA near Arcata.
as for the yr. '71 is the best.
first yr. with front disc brakes and last year with a simpler engine.
upright.
good luck !

--
I'm unfettered,unbound,triumphant,glorious& splendid

Opinions on detroit in D 30 Greg Jeep 8 July 26th 05 12:32 AM
Buying a new car -- looking for your learned opinions on my 3 finalists Ursula Driving 7 June 6th 05 03:57 PM
Opinions Wanted: 66 Exhaust Setup Scott Ford Mustang 2 March 11th 05 12:36 AM
Opinions on the 2002 L100. Rob Saturn 2 December 27th 04 04:53 AM
Opinions of the 1988 735i ---Should I buy one?? Mark J. Amero BMW 7 November 20th 04 08:47 PM