Is 2.4 I4 really enough for a Wrangler?

Old May 10th 05, 06:32 AM
Dave Milne

If you don't have a website where you can put pics, email them to me ( jeep
at milne dot info ), and I'll put them up for you. Then you post the link to
where I/you have put them.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"mic canic" > wrote in message
> hmm sorry i do know how to do that
>
> Dave Milne wrote:
>
> > Send us a photo link when you get it; would be interested to see what it
> > looks like.
> >
> > Dave Milne, Scotland
> > '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
> >
> > "mic canic" > wrote in message
> > > i was told Saturday we have a diesel wrangler waiting to be prepped in

the
> > bac
> > > lot

2.4L

suited
> > for

down

available.

plain

17

not

> > thing

any

pretty

has

Old May 10th 05, 07:49 AM
Steve

We won't see that picture until late 2006.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Dave Milne wrote:
> If you don't have a website where you can put pics, email them to me ( jeep
> at milne dot info ), and I'll put them up for you. Then you post the link to
> where I/you have put them.
>
> Dave Milne, Scotland
> '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
>
> "mic canic" > wrote in message
>
>>hmm sorry i do know how to do that
>>
>>Dave Milne wrote:
>>

>>>Send us a photo link when you get it; would be interested to see what it
>>>looks like.
>>>
>>>Dave Milne, Scotland
>>>'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

> the
>
>>>bac

ET...

Old May 10th 05, 08:30 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And never in California:
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/light.html#cal
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 10th 05, 12:20 PM
Dave

I get 21 to 23 mpg out of my '03 2.4 mostly high speed highway - 75mph
no mods yet, just stock - and it's got 50,000 on it already. ~Dave

Old May 10th 05, 04:28 PM
Dave Milne

Didn't know that had been confirmed ! Thanks.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old May 10th 05, 08:03 PM
Bryan

"Dave" > wrote in message
.. .
>I get 21 to 23 mpg out of my '03 2.4 mostly high speed highway - 75mph no
>mods yet, just stock - and it's got 50,000 on it already. ~Dave

I am glad that someone else spoke. up. It is good to know that your highway
mileage is good. Maybe it is the 2.4 that is giving the good mileage, more
than the driving conditions that I was contributing the high MPG too.
I have spent a little time above 70, and my Wrangler ran just fine, but I am
usually puttering along at the speed limit.

But at least I am not the only one getting good mileage out of their SE.

How is your performance? Mine is improving as the motors breaks in. Close
to 4000 miles and the power seems to be gradually increasing and mpg
stabilizing in the low to mid 20's. But I have no complaints about power
at all, how about you Dave?

Bryan

Old May 10th 05, 09:40 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, I was about to call you a liar, but looked up the EPA ratings
for your passenger car engine.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 10th 05, 09:40 PM
ElAlumbrado

"Bryan" > wrote in message

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>I get 21 to 23 mpg out of my '03 2.4 mostly high speed highway -
>>75mph no mods yet, just stock - and it's got 50,000 on it already.
>>~Dave

> I am glad that someone else spoke. up. It is good to know that your
> highway mileage is good. Maybe it is the 2.4 that is giving the good
> mileage, more than the driving conditions that I was contributing the
> high MPG too.
> I have spent a little time above 70, and my Wrangler ran just fine,
> but I am usually puttering along at the speed limit.
>
> But at least I am not the only one getting good mileage out of their
> SE.
>
> How is your performance? Mine is improving as the motors breaks in.
> Close to 4000 miles and the power seems to be gradually increasing and
> mpg stabilizing in the low to mid 20's. But I have no complaints
> about power at all, how about you Dave?

Geez, I must have a factory reject. I can't even reach 70 on a flat
road. And my gas mileage has never been more than mid teens.

Old May 10th 05, 10:04 PM
Dave

Bryan wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>I get 21 to 23 mpg out of my '03 2.4 mostly high speed highway - 75mph no
>>mods yet, just stock - and it's got 50,000 on it already. ~Dave

> I am glad that someone else spoke. up. It is good to know that your highway
> mileage is good. Maybe it is the 2.4 that is giving the good mileage, more
> than the driving conditions that I was contributing the high MPG too.
> I have spent a little time above 70, and my Wrangler ran just fine, but I am
> usually puttering along at the speed limit.
>
> But at least I am not the only one getting good mileage out of their SE.
>
> How is your performance? Mine is improving as the motors breaks in. Close
> to 4000 miles and the power seems to be gradually increasing and mpg
> stabilizing in the low to mid 20's. But I have no complaints about power
> at all, how about you Dave?
>
> Bryan

More than enough power... haven't taken it much above 85 mph, but it
feels like it could do it... of course I live in North Eastern Ohio,
which is VERY Flat... don't have to climb many hills... the power band
is a bit high for my comfort, you have to take it to 4500 RPM to really
get any real performance out of the 2.4... and overtaking another
vehicle at 65mph can take you a while... I tried to see if I could get
better mpg by shifting down to 4th when I noticed I was mashing the
pedal in 5th, but doing that showed me no increase in mpg...
Old May 11th 05, 12:29 AM
Bryan

Yep. Can't say I would blame you.
Got a couple friends who have gotten decent mileage from their 4-cyl
wranglers, but they are not internet newsgroup savvy.
Glad somebody chimed in.

Bryan