increasing number of vehicles with nonfunctional stuff on them?

Old January 19th 05, 02:10 AM
Nate Nagel

Olaf Gustafson wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:
>

>>and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
>>vehicle at all except for the third brake light.

> I saw one of those the other day and the 3rd brake light was half out.
>
> I'm sure they just weren't aware of it - the car didn't have a scratch
> on it. I thought about trying to tell them at the next traffic light,
> but they were old and probably too hard of hearing to understand what
> I was talking about.

I actually did tell a driver of one of these vehicles about his
condition, he just shrugged and said "I know." This was in Pittsburgh,
I wouldn't try that in DC.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 19th 05, 02:59 AM
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Olaf Gustafson wrote:
>
>> On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:
>>

>>> and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
>>> vehicle at all except for the third brake light.

>> I saw one of those the other day and the 3rd brake light was half out.
>>
>> I'm sure they just weren't aware of it - the car didn't have a scratch
>> on it. I thought about trying to tell them at the next traffic light,
>> but they were old and probably too hard of hearing to understand what
>> I was talking about.

> I actually did tell a driver of one of these vehicles about his
> condition, he just shrugged and said "I know." This was in Pittsburgh,
> I wouldn't try that in DC.
>
> nate

Taste the irony.

I just made a speed run to the 7-11 and at the first right hand turn I
discovered that my RR directional was burned out. So as soon as I got
home I dragged out my baggie full of spare bulbs - nary a P21W, 1156,
anything useful at all... so now I get to drive to work tomorrow being
one of the people I bitch incessantly about.

d'oh.

nate

Old January 19th 05, 02:59 AM
Nate Nagel

Old January 19th 05, 04:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Olaf Gustafson wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:
>
> >and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
> >vehicle at all except for the third brake light.

> I saw one of those the other day and the 3rd brake light was half out.

A Ford, right?
Old January 19th 05, 04:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 19th 05, 04:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Olaf Gustafson wrote:

> I'm sure they just weren't aware of it - the car didn't have a scratch
> on it. I thought about trying to tell them at the next traffic light,
> but they were old and probably too hard of hearing to understand what I
> was talking about.

Y'think it's hard to convey "You've got a dead brake light!"?

Try "You've left your rear fog light on!".

DS

Old January 19th 05, 04:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 19th 05, 07:28 AM
Brent P

In article ich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> Try "You've left your rear fog light on!".

I've just turned my high beams on when I've had to follow such people.
Until one turned violent. Seems they don't like the annoying glare
anymore than I do. (and that was _before_ I put the relays, etc in)

Old January 19th 05, 07:31 AM
Brent P

In article ich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Olaf Gustafson wrote:
>
>> On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:
>>
>> >and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
>> >vehicle at all except for the third brake light.

>> I saw one of those the other day and the 3rd brake light was half out.

> A Ford, right?

I've seen practically an example of practically every make one might
reasonably come across on the road like that.

Old January 19th 05, 04:24 PM
Sam O'Nella

> I live in Virginia which as an inspection system. Its a hassle and
> is useless. You'd have thought that they'd have told me that the
> brakes were within a year of needing replaced, but no - mine failed
> about 5 months later. They don't wear that fast, so the inspectors
> _should_ have known it, but didn't bother to mention it.
>
> Driveshaft problem won't be picked up in an inspection - they don't
> drive 'em in order to be able to feel the vibration.

I'm also in Virginia.

What's worse is the inspection scams.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee I took to the dealer for some warranty work (I
would never otherwise use a dealer) and, since the inspection was almost
due, I asked them to do that too.

"Needs new front brakes" they said. I asked, "How much?" They say "$300".
After cleaning the coffee from the phone, I said "Reject it!"

So I go to Advance auto parts and buy new pads for $18 and proceed to do the
job myself - it takes about 15 minutes.

When I pull the old pads off, I notice they didn't seem to be too worn. I
pull out my micrometer and measure them, the worst point had 50% more pad
than required by state law.

So I drive in there and have a little talk about it.

There was much scrambling and tripping over tongues as to giving me an
explanation. The only thing they could say is "Well, they would have been
worn out befor NEXT inspection!"

So, they bribed me with several coupons for free oil changes, car washes and
other stuff "to make up for the trouble".

I should have had their damn inspection license pulled.