American Car Makes

Old June 13th 05, 04:10 PM
C. E. White

Dave Lister wrote:

> Every Chrysler I have ever driven has been a noisy gutless pig. Of
> course it's been a couple of years since I test drove a Concorde.

Of the American makes, Chrysler seems to have the most
interesting cars (and the worst trucks). Personally, I
hesitate to buy anything from Chrysler because of bad past
experiences. I also don't think their engines (at least the
old school 318 small block or 383 big block families) were
anything special. And I particularly hate the Mitsubishi V-6
engine they inflict on some unlucky people (but I suppose
that is not a "Chrysler" engine). On the other hand, it is
hard not to be intrigued by the 300, Magnum, and Charger -
at least if you want a performance car. If you want a well
assembled, technologically obsolete, mediocre sedan, Toyota
is pumping out Camrys.....

Ed
Old June 13th 05, 04:22 PM
N8N

C. E. White wrote:
> Dave Lister wrote:
>
> > Every Chrysler I have ever driven has been a noisy gutless pig. Of
> > course it's been a couple of years since I test drove a Concorde.

> Of the American makes, Chrysler seems to have the most
> interesting cars (and the worst trucks). Personally, I
> hesitate to buy anything from Chrysler because of bad past
> experiences. I also don't think their engines (at least the
> old school 318 small block or 383 big block families) were
> anything special.

They just defined reliable and durable, that's all.

> And I particularly hate the Mitsubishi V-6
> engine they inflict on some unlucky people (but I suppose
> that is not a "Chrysler" engine).

Yeah, that wasn't one of their best moves. The Mitsu engine does have
a fairly bad reputation... actually Mitsu as a whole seems to have a
bad reputation with the exception of the Eclipse series.

nate

Old June 13th 05, 05:17 PM
Ted B.

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Dave Lister wrote:
>
>> Every Chrysler I have ever driven has been a noisy gutless pig. Of
>> course it's been a couple of years since I test drove a Concorde.

> Of the American makes, Chrysler seems to have the most
> interesting cars (and the worst trucks).

What are you talking about? The only American makes are Ford and GM.
Chrysler is German, and has been for quite a while now. -Dave

Old June 13th 05, 10:45 PM
Nate Nagel

C. E. White wrote:

> Dave Lister wrote:
>

>>Ford is in my opinion mostly a lost cause. When I am car shopping I
>>hardly ever go to a Ford dealer. The last Ford I owned leaked oil all
>>the time no matter what I had done to it.

> My parents have owned Ford most of my life. In the last 40
> years, not one Ford has leaked anough oil to put a spot of
> the garage floor of their home (they didn't have a garage
> floor before 1964, so I have no data for the 1953 to to 1963
> period). I've owned several Fords myself. Only one ever left
> oil on the ground, and it was promptly fixed under warranty.
> Now the !%$#& Toyota I owned leaked oil like seive. My
> Sister's have owned a couple of VWs and I beleive they were
> trying to recoat the roads with fresh oil. And I won't
> mention the assortment of British products I was addicted
> to...... But Fords, (tractors excepted) have never been a
> problem. My current oldest Ford (1992 F150, 100,000 miles)
> has never leaked a drop of oil. The underhood is
> unbelieveably clean. I can actaully work put my hands on
> things under the hood without needing a gallon of GoJo to
> clean-up (which is not true for my sisters much newer
> Honda). Maybe you should try a Ford again. If you are
> thinking Japanese cars are state of the art, you might be
> surprised.
>
> Ed

They seem to have contracted a nasty inability to build automatic
transmissions... and since most of their lineup is auto-only, that's a
Bad Thing(tm)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 13th 05, 11:01 PM
atlantic965

In a nutsell Dave, In the olden days of cheap Gasoline the cars could
be built big and heavy and since most consumers judge cars by what they
see and feel they were fooled into believing they were well made.
Detroit has not built well engineered precision crafted cars since the
1930's. (Cadillacs once had V-12s and V-16s Engines) Starting with
the 1938 Cadillac 60 Specials all American cars became rolling pieces
of costume jewelry that guzzle gas but could be sold to the public at
low prices because of the little cost it took to build them. When my
Dad was a young man, he, a College Proffessor bought a new 1964 Buick
Riviera and financed it for only 36 months !. I dunno what will become
of Detroit. New Cadillacs are nice and some of the Chevrolet & Pontiac
cars look promising. The Chevrolet Equinox is the biggest SUV bargain
on the market but compared to their Japanese counterparts they are
plastic-junky looking which is why consumers shun them.

Old June 14th 05, 12:09 AM
Jim Yanik

"atlantic965" > wrote in
oups.com:

> In a nutsell Dave, In the olden days of cheap Gasoline the cars could
> be built big and heavy and since most consumers judge cars by what they
> see and feel they were fooled into believing they were well made.
> Detroit has not built well engineered precision crafted cars since the
> 1930's. (Cadillacs once had V-12s and V-16s Engines)

They are getting up to V-10's in some US brands now!(Daimler/Chrysler)

I find it interesting that Saturn(GM) is buying Honda engines for one of
their SUV's

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 14th 05, 12:17 AM
Dave Lister

Nate Nagel > wrote in
news:1118699145.40c08c9a86029f55b2ff96ff1a6b1d1e@t eranews:

> C. E. White wrote:
>>
>> Dave Lister wrote:
>>

>>>Ford is in my opinion mostly a lost cause. When I am car shopping I
>>>hardly ever go to a Ford dealer. The last Ford I owned leaked oil all
>>>the time no matter what I had done to it.

>> My parents have owned Ford most of my life. In the last 40
>> years, not one Ford has leaked anough oil to put a spot of
>> the garage floor of their home (they didn't have a garage
>> floor before 1964, so I have no data for the 1953 to to 1963
>> period). I've owned several Fords myself. Only one ever left
>> oil on the ground, and it was promptly fixed under warranty.
>> Now the !%$#& Toyota I owned leaked oil like seive. My
>> Sister's have owned a couple of VWs and I beleive they were
>> trying to recoat the roads with fresh oil. And I won't
>> mention the assortment of British products I was addicted
>> to...... But Fords, (tractors excepted) have never been a
>> problem. My current oldest Ford (1992 F150, 100,000 miles)
>> has never leaked a drop of oil. The underhood is
>> unbelieveably clean. I can actaully work put my hands on
>> things under the hood without needing a gallon of GoJo to
>> clean-up (which is not true for my sisters much newer
>> Honda). Maybe you should try a Ford again. If you are
>> thinking Japanese cars are state of the art, you might be
>> surprised.
>>
>> Ed

> They seem to have contracted a nasty inability to build automatic
> transmissions... and since most of their lineup is auto-only, that's

> Bad Thing(tm)

My sister-in-law has had several put into her Ford Minivan.

--
Republican Health Plan: Don't Get Sick

Guantanamo: The Gulag of Our Time

Old June 14th 05, 12:53 AM
Dave

> They are getting up to V-10's in some US brands now!(Daimler/Chrysler)
>
> I find it interesting that Saturn(GM) is buying Honda engines for one of
> their SUV's

That's very interesting as GM intends to slash prices on certain brands such
as Chevy and Saturn. A discount Honda at a no-hassle price? Interesting
indeed. -Dave

bin laden drives a stang [email protected] Ford Mustang 2 April 24th 05 03:53 PM
"American" TV media cover up CIA_Israeli torture Awake BMW 7 February 26th 05 02:44 PM
American cars Dave Antique cars 6 February 13th 05 04:27 PM
American cars Dave General 6 February 13th 05 04:27 PM
Where to find list of 1930's American Automobile Manufacturers [email protected] Antique cars 4 November 1st 03 06:44 AM