magnets on fuel line

Old July 18th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

Default magnets on fuel line

i recently added a magnetic system to my 1990 (approaching 199K this
week) in an attempt to improve mileage. (the basic premise is that if
you magnetize the fuel positively and the air negatively (or vice
versa), they'll remain combined after compression in the chamber
resulting in a more efficient burn.

has anyone else had any experience with this?

after about six weeks, i've gone from about 26 mpg to about 30 mpg
(all city). at $3.20 a gallon nowadays, that makes me pretty happy.
the thing is, the car now overheats anytime i sustain anything above
4000 RPM (or about 80mph) for 2-3 minutes. (i live in LA and the 210
seems to average about 80 in the middle lane when i'm on the road).
generally cranking on the heat full blast gets the needle back to
center, but the dash still feels *really* hot, and everything under
the hood is still *extremely* hot when i've arrived & looked under the
hood.

while i suspect that the hotter burn is the primary factor (the
accompanying literature suggests that 87 would burn like 100 with the
magnets), i should mention that i recently replaced the front license
plate - have driven without it for eight years, finally got a
(parking!) ticket, and the outside temperature has been in the 90's &
100's most of the time - which i though might be a factor, but i've
seen the temperature come back down to normal while at a dead
standstill while cranking on the heat full blast.

so i guess my main purpose for posting is to solicit comments about:
- magnetizing the fuel/air to improve mileage & performance;
- the impact of running the equivalent of 100 octane (i have noticed a
little more HP on acceleration and i still am usually still in 3rd
gear when pulling on the highway at 65mph) in a 16 year old car - is
it within the recommended tolerances?
- should i go ahead and maybe replace the thermostat anyway? (i *do*
plan on flushing the radiator);

thanks.

barry
'90 sky blue - "marvin"

"i can spell. i just can't type."
Old July 18th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
J Brockley

"barry" > wrote in message
>i recently added a magnetic system to my 1990 (approaching 199K this
> week) in an attempt to improve mileage. (the basic premise is that if
> you magnetize the fuel positively and the air negatively (or vice
> versa), they'll remain combined after compression in the chamber
> resulting in a more efficient burn.
>
> has anyone else had any experience with this?
>
> after about six weeks, i've gone from about 26 mpg to about 30 mpg
> (all city). at $3.20 a gallon nowadays, that makes me pretty happy.
> the thing is, the car now overheats anytime i sustain anything above
> 4000 RPM (or about 80mph) for 2-3 minutes. (i live in LA and the 210
> seems to average about 80 in the middle lane when i'm on the road).
> generally cranking on the heat full blast gets the needle back to
> center, but the dash still feels *really* hot, and everything under
> the hood is still *extremely* hot when i've arrived & looked under the
> hood.
>
> while i suspect that the hotter burn is the primary factor (the
> accompanying literature suggests that 87 would burn like 100 with the
> magnets), i should mention that i recently replaced the front license
> plate - have driven without it for eight years, finally got a
> (parking!) ticket, and the outside temperature has been in the 90's &
> 100's most of the time - which i though might be a factor, but i've
> seen the temperature come back down to normal while at a dead
> standstill while cranking on the heat full blast.
>
> so i guess my main purpose for posting is to solicit comments about:
> - magnetizing the fuel/air to improve mileage & performance;
> - the impact of running the equivalent of 100 octane (i have noticed a
> little more HP on acceleration and i still am usually still in 3rd
> gear when pulling on the highway at 65mph) in a 16 year old car - is
> it within the recommended tolerances?
> - should i go ahead and maybe replace the thermostat anyway? (i *do*
> plan on flushing the radiator);
>
> thanks.
>
> barry
> '90 sky blue - "marvin"

I suspect this the true explanation.
http://www.fuelsaving.info/magnets.htm

Old July 18th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
barry > wrote:

> i recently added a magnetic system to my 1990 (approaching 199K this
> week) in an attempt to improve mileage. (the basic premise is that if
> you magnetize the fuel positively and the air negatively (or vice
> versa), they'll remain combined after compression in the chamber
> resulting in a more efficient burn.
>
> has anyone else had any experience with this?

Magnets don't work quite as well as hanging garlic from the rearview
mirror. For a real improvement, try sacrificing a few goats.

Placebo effect, nothing more.

> i should mention that i recently replaced the front license
> plate - have driven without it for eight years, finally got a
> (parking!) ticket, and the outside temperature has been in the 90's &
> 100's most of the time - which i though might be a factor

Not "a" factor, it's THE factor. Something in your cooling system isn't
right, but running plateless was compensating and masking the problem.
Now you need to troubleshoot the cooling system and fix it. You probably
need a new radiator.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old July 18th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

>> i should mention that i recently replaced the front license
>> plate - have driven without it for eight years, finally got a
>> (parking!) ticket, and the outside temperature has been in the 90's &
>> 100's most of the time - which i though might be a factor

> Not "a" factor, it's THE factor. Something in your cooling system isn't
> right, but running plateless was compensating and masking the problem.
> Now you need to troubleshoot the cooling system and fix it. You probably
> need a new radiator.

I wouldn't be so sure. I have a '91 Roadster which has always got very hot
when the ambient temperature is above about 28 centigrade. When I first got
the car and noticed this I went through everything, replacing the thermostat
and the radiator. Nothing did any good (and cranking up the hot air vent did
cool it off significantly straight away). Someone else here mentioned the
license-plate thing so I tried that - I moved the license plate from in
front of the air intake to on the front of the bumper. That did it, problem
solved. It would appear that this is a common problem with early MX5s, so my
recommendation would be to first get a license plate plinth like the one I
got - http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id/222 - before
going for something more expensive like a new radiator (though it's worth
checking the thermometer since that's fairly cheap). I'm not sure that the
missing license plate was masking a problem with the cooling system.

Eric

Old July 18th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-07-18, barry > wrote:

> i recently added a magnetic system to my 1990 (approaching
> 199K this week) in an attempt to improve mileage. (the basic
> premise is that if you magnetize the fuel positively and the
> air negatively (or vice versa),

That's utter crap. The phrase "magnetize something positively"
or "magnetize something negatively" is meaningless in this
context. It may be possible to mathematically describe such a
condition, since magnetic monopoles do appear to be predicted
by some GUTs, but they doesn't exist the the physical world.

Magnetic monopoles _do_not_exist_ in any practical terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole

> they'll remain combined after compression in the chamber
> resulting in a more efficient burn.

Hogwash.

It's 100% pure bull****.

> after about six weeks, i've gone from about 26 mpg to about 30 mpg
> (all city).

Something else has changed. You're probably driving more
conservatively -- possibly as a result of unconscious
confirmation bias.

> at $3.20 a gallon nowadays, that makes me pretty happy.
> the thing is, the car now overheats anytime i sustain anything above
> 4000 RPM (or about 80mph) for 2-3 minutes. (i live in LA and the 210
> seems to average about 80 in the middle lane when i'm on the road).
> generally cranking on the heat full blast gets the needle back to
> center, but the dash still feels *really* hot, and everything under
> the hood is still *extremely* hot when i've arrived & looked under the
> hood.
>
> while i suspect that the hotter burn is the primary factor
> (the accompanying literature suggests that 87 would burn like
> 100 with the magnets),

A) You misspelled "The accompanying lies".

B) Higher octane doesn't burn hotter. It resists pre-ignition
and knocking/pinging better.

> i should mention that i recently replaced the front license
> plate - have driven without it for eight years, finally got a
> (parking!) ticket, and the outside temperature has been in the
> 90's & 100's most of the time - which i though might be a
> factor, but i've seen the temperature come back down to normal
> while at a dead standstill while cranking on the heat full
> blast.
>
> so i guess my main purpose for posting is to solicit comments
> about:
>
> - magnetizing the fuel/air to improve mileage & performance;

Simply not possible. You can't magnetize a gas, _even_if_ the
individual molecules do have a magnetic dipole moment (which O2
and N2 do not). IIRC, gasoline does have a magnetic dipole
moment, so the molecules will tend to align with a magnetic
field, but as soon as they leave the field they will resume
their normal random orientations.

> - the impact of running the equivalent of 100 octane

A moot point question, since you're not.

> (i have noticed a little more HP on acceleration and i still
> am usually still in 3rd gear when pulling on the highway at
> 65mph) in a 16 year old car - is it within the recommended
> tolerances?

If you have pinging/knocking using lower octanes, then higher
octane will improve performance. If you don't have
pinging/knocking (or timing being automatically retarded to
prevent pinging/knocking), then higher octane is useless.

> - should i go ahead and maybe replace the thermostat anyway?
> (i *do* plan on flushing the radiator);

Probably. It's easy and cheap.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! NANCY!! Why is
at everything RED?!
Old July 18th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote in
:

> Magnets don't work quite as well as hanging garlic from the
> rearview mirror. For a real improvement, try sacrificing a few
> goats.

Not another ignorant goat sacrificer? Don't you people know you have
to sacrifice sheep?

Hehehehe.... looking forward to the time the goat/sheep controversy
will be bigger than the synthetic/natural controversy and waiting to
hear from the chicken/pig/cow sacrificers......

Old July 18th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Nobody

Barry, you have too much "coolant" in your cooling system

the water is what removes the heat,
the coolant protects the engine from the water

and you are getting less airflow because of the blockage of the front plate

1. more water, less coolant in your next replacement (to 70-80% water)

2. bend the plate corners to direct some air flow rather than flat to the
wind /\

3. get one of those swing up license plate mounts (diy now ? (see
miata.net))

4. mount the plate higher than the opening
-old solution was bend it up and store on dash

5. move to a less dracionian nanny state

from nowhere

Old July 18th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-07-18, Nobody > wrote:

> Barry, you have too much "coolant" in your cooling system
>
> the water is what removes the heat,
> the coolant protects the engine from the water
>
> and you are getting less airflow because of the blockage of the front plate
>
> 1. more water, less coolant in your next replacement (to 70-80% water)
>
> 2. bend the plate corners to direct some air flow rather than flat to the
> wind /\
>
> 3. get one of those swing up license plate mounts (diy now ? (see
> miata.net))
>
> 4. mount the plate higher than the opening
> -old solution was bend it up and store on dash
>
> 5. move to a less dracionian nanny state

6. Pay the ticket and forget about it.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. I
at feel... JUGULAR...
Old July 18th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> Not another ignorant goat sacrificer? Don't you people know you have
> to sacrifice sheep?

Depends on the entity to whom you're making the sacrifice. If you trust
in angels and other things that wear white robes, go ahead and try
sheep. But if you want real results, draw that pentagram and round up
some goats.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old July 18th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote in
:

> Depends on the entity to whom you're making the sacrifice.

The great Boojum, of course.

Boojum - (aka Boojum-Under-The-Rock) is the One True God(tm), all other
gods are utterly false, and all other religions are crap.
Followers of the One True Way(tm) - known variously as Boojumites,
Boojumists, Boojutics, or by many other names - believe that the World
(As We Know It) was created in 1934 (on April 1st at 9am, to be exact)
when Boojum "uurped wisely in the slime" to create the first "humorans"
(humans). Previously the world had been chiefly inhabited by Trolls,
whom Boojum banished beneath the Earth. One day, probably in the
future, Earth's surface will crack and the Trolls will pour out to
again take over the world, an event called the Great Rupture. At that
time, all people who have not "found Boojum" will become eternal Troll
slaves, and made to wear leisure suits, drink American beer, and suffer
other horrors too foul to contemplate.

Meanwhile, there are signs and portents. Chief among these is the
flamingo, especially the pink plastic lawn flamingo, which is a symbol
of Boojumite Sainthood. Who is a Boojumite Saint? Golly, who isn't?
This great honor has been bestowed on many people, whose gratitude is
best expressed in this quote from St. DogMeat, "Thanks for the gum
ball, Mickey!" There are also Mega-Saints, who are akin to 33rd Degree
Masons in that they hold all the Keys to Knowledge and Secretly Control
the World!

Many famous religious leaders, over the course of history, have seen
the light and been converted to The Truth of Boojum(tm). Usually, this
revelation prompts them to write a book repudiating their previous
beliefs - and tragically, the book's publication usually prompts the
convertee's former followers to murder the convertee, to prevent the
total collapse of what had been to that time a major religion. Many of
these (in)famous books share similar titles, such as: TAO IS CRAP by
Lao Tze; BUDDHISM IS CRAP by Siddhartha Guatama; ISLAM IS CRAP by
Mohammed; THELEMA IS CRAP, by Aleister Crowley; ATHEISM IS CRAP By
Madeline Murray O'Hare; and most recently, SATANISM IS CRAP by Anton
LaVey, who was tragically "bumped off" earlier this year (by the use of
a subtle poison which induced a "heart attack"). There is even rumored
to be a volume entitled BOOJUMISM IS CRAP, but its existence has not
been verified (though rest assured, if it does exist, its author will
be "dealt with" in the usual manner!).

The Holy Book of Boojumism, known as the Booble, has never been
completely written down, but instead is accessed extemporaneously by
channelling Boojum. Thus it is ever-changing, seemingly at the whim of
the individual, but eternally the Word of Boojum Himself. There are
those among the unbelievers - probably Trollist Agents! - who claim
that Boojumites "make it up as they go along" and in fact that the
entire religion is nothing but an offshoot of Discordianism, and an
inane parody of every other religion... but these poor fools are short-
sighted indeed, to limit their accusations in such a manner, for in
Truth(tm), Boojumites make fun of EVERYTHING. And yet, at the core,
there is an essence of... solidity. Boojum is real! Boojumism "works if
you work it" (as the saying goes).
Witten by Benjum, Prophet of Boojum