Spark plug cleaning

Old October 16th 04, 06:32 PM
Lon

Stephen H. Westin proclaimed:

> "Stormin Mormon" > writes:
>

>>My Dodge van has 8 cylinders. Eight plugs. Two bucks each. $16. I know
>>that's not a heck of a lot of money, but it hurts to throw them out just
>>cause they have a little bit of carbon on them.
>>
>>How to clean spark plugs? Ideas?

> Traditionally, sandblasting. Try to find a shop in your area
> that still has a plug sandblaster.

... that charges less than $2.00 a plug of course. Plus the cost
of taking them out, driving in another vehicle to the sandblast
place, etc. Possibly cheaper in the long run to convert to a
good electronic ignition and just change the plugs at the longer
interval this allows. As you'd really want to clean the plugs
and then regap them and then use a new washer to re-install.
Old October 19th 04, 08:07 PM
Curtis

Lon > wrote in message news:<lWccd.269849$3l3.117058@attbi_s03>...
> Stephen H. Westin proclaimed:
>
> > "Stormin Mormon" > writes:
> >

> >>My Dodge van has 8 cylinders. Eight plugs. Two bucks each. $16. I know
> >>that's not a heck of a lot of money, but it hurts to throw them out just
> >>cause they have a little bit of carbon on them.
> >>
> >>How to clean spark plugs? Ideas?

> > Traditionally, sandblasting. Try to find a shop in your area
> > that still has a plug sandblaster.
> >

> ... that charges less than $2.00 a plug of course. Plus the cost
> of taking them out, driving in another vehicle to the sandblast
> place, etc. Possibly cheaper in the long run to convert to a
> good electronic ignition and just change the plugs at the longer
> interval this allows. As you'd really want to clean the plugs
> and then regap them and then use a new washer to re-install.

This web site has a tool designed specifically for your need.
http://jcsonlinetoolshed.com/product.php/707/0/
Old October 29th 04, 03:41 AM
Daniel Joseph Min.

personally I like a nice nail file and get the metal brite, so I know I'm
getting good spark

--
We are Many
Mark 5:9
"Stormin Mormon" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've used a wire brush for many years. Can't say as how it's ever given me
> problems.
>
> --
>
> Christopher A. Young
> Learn more about Jesus
> www.lds.org
> www.mormons.com
>

> "Figjam(cable)" > wrote in message
> WRONG !!!
> A so called wire brush will render those plugs unuseable buddy !
> Stop, do not pass go !
> Do not claim your minute of fame!
> That so called bright idea of useing a wire brush is an idiotic idea.
> Unless of coarse you can prove that the carbon from the wire(steel)
> will not coat or leave behind traces of carbon on the porcelain?

insulator.
> Unless one uses a brand new wire brush(stainless wire)
>

> Fig
>

> "Don Bruder" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Stormin Mormon" > wrote:
> >
> > > My Dodge van has 8 cylinders. Eight plugs. Two bucks each. $16. I know
> > > that's not a heck of a lot of money, but it hurts to throw them out

just
> > > cause they have a little bit of carbon on them.
> > >
> > > How to clean spark plugs? Ideas?

> > There's a sandblaster box made specifically for the purpose. No idea on
> > price or who sells 'em. Failing that, a wire brush can usually
> > accomplish the job.
> >
> > --
> > Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb.

21,
> 2004.
> > Short form: I'm trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn't contain a password in

> the
> > subject unless it comes from a "whitelisted" (pre-approved by me)

address.

Old October 29th 04, 11:29 PM
Scotty

I dont know how much spark plugs are in the US (Stuff all Id imagine) but
here in Australia they cost around the $2-$8 mark depending on quality of
the plugs. Why not just replace them, even on a V8 the much about factor
would far outweigh the cost of the new plugs, even at $5 each what $40 of an
instant fix over hours of stuffing around with cleaning them?

If you cant afford new plugs then you shouldnt be driving a car on the road,
who knows what else your skimping on? Tyres? Suspention parts? Safety
issues?

link.net...

Old February 14th 05, 07:48 AM
John Doe Jr

I found that if you heat the plug up with a small torch untill it turns
cherry red but not to the point that it melts makes them look like new out
of the box. But I guess their is a risk of cracking the insulator. So far
that works great for me.

Old February 16th 05, 07:15 AM

K-Mart sels a small sand blaster for spark plugs that works great at
15.00 $

Old February 17th 05, 08:06 PM
John Doe Jr

As for me I like to get my money worth. I ran my F150 untill it started
missing, and the tips were worn way up inside the insulator. I dont see how
it ran at all. But I did replace the plugs that time. I hope to get anouther
80K out of the new plugs. Even though the plugs were worn down that bad the
insulators were still white and looked like new. I cant see throwing a good
plug away if its only problem is being fauld with gas or oil. I guess I got
my bad habits from being a poor man. I would love to win the lottery. Only
problem is I cant afford the tickets Sorry to rush off but its time for
me to go and flip some burgers.

Old February 18th 05, 12:46 AM
Erik-Jan Geniets

John Doe Jr wrote:

> As for me I like to get my money worth. I ran my F150 untill it started
> missing, and the tips were worn way up inside the insulator. I dont see how
> it ran at all. But I did replace the plugs that time. I hope to get anouther
> 80K out of the new plugs. Even though the plugs were worn down that bad the
> insulators were still white and looked like new. I cant see throwing a good
> plug away if its only problem is being fauld with gas or oil. I guess I got
> my bad habits from being a poor man. I would love to win the lottery. Only
> problem is I cant afford the tickets Sorry to rush off but its time for
> me to go and flip some burgers.

Even if you are poor...one sparkplug will be around USD 1,50 I recon or
am I wrong here?
Erik-Jan.
Old February 20th 05, 10:16 AM
Ron

"Erik-Jan Geniets" > wrote in message

> John Doe Jr wrote:
> >
> > As for me I like to get my money worth. I ran my F150 untill it started
> > missing, and the tips were worn way up inside the insulator. I dont see

how
> > it ran at all. But I did replace the plugs that time. I hope to get

anouther
> > 80K out of the new plugs. Even though the plugs were worn down that bad

the
> > insulators were still white and looked like new. I cant see throwing a

good
> > plug away if its only problem is being fauld with gas or oil. I guess I

got
> > my bad habits from being a poor man. I would love to win the lottery.

Only
> > problem is I cant afford the tickets Sorry to rush off but its time

for
> > me to go and flip some burgers.
> >

> Even if you are poor...one sparkplug will be around USD 1,50 I recon or
> am I wrong here?
> Erik-Jan.

plus what you have lost in fuel economy would have paid for new plugs long
ago.
you are going to stay poor longer at this rate
Ron