Wiring harness (partial) for a '73 Thing?

Old May 25th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Wiring harness (partial) for a '73 Thing?

Hi gang!

Anyone know of a good source to get parts of the wiring harness for a
'73 VW Thing? I was changing the speedomter and mis-connected the fuel
gauge sensor wire and it got fried! Totally smoked up! Anyway, does
anyone know of a good source of just parts of the wiring harness? Also,
does the Beetle from this model year share the same wiring? I would
imagine it would be easier finding a harness for a Beetle than a Thing.
Thanks!

Old May 25th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

WIZARDGLIK wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> Anyone know of a good source to get parts of the wiring harness for a
> '73 VW Thing? I was changing the speedomter and mis-connected the fuel
> gauge sensor wire and it got fried! Totally smoked up! Anyway, does
> anyone know of a good source of just parts of the wiring harness? Also,
> does the Beetle from this model year share the same wiring? I would
> imagine it would be easier finding a harness for a Beetle than a Thing.
> Thanks!

Hit up your neighborhood scrap yard for a 70's harness (Std Beetle,
not Super). Should be real close.
There are 2 parts: Main harness to the rear and the Front harness
for lights, horn, brake light sw,

The sender wire isn't part of any harness is it?

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old May 25th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Speedy Jim wrote:

> Hit up your neighborhood scrap yard for a 70's harness (Std Beetle,
> not Super). Should be real close.
> There are 2 parts: Main harness to the rear and the Front harness
> for lights, horn, brake light sw,
>
> The sender wire isn't part of any harness is it?

No, it isn't. But I figure it would be even harder to just locate this
one wiring pair than finding a whole harness (whereas someone selling a
whole harness might also have the fuel sender wiring as well). Should I
just buy new wire and repair the damage myself then?

Old May 25th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

WIZARDGLIK wrote:

> Speedy Jim wrote:
>

>>Hit up your neighborhood scrap yard for a 70's harness (Std Beetle,
>>not Super). Should be real close.
>>There are 2 parts: Main harness to the rear and the Front harness
>>for lights, horn, brake light sw,
>>
>>The sender wire isn't part of any harness is it?

> No, it isn't. But I figure it would be even harder to just locate this
> one wiring pair than finding a whole harness (whereas someone selling a
> whole harness might also have the fuel sender wiring as well). Should I
> just buy new wire and repair the damage myself then?

Yeah, I would just replace that one wire/pair.
Going beyond that could open a real can of worms...

Jim
Old May 26th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I had to rewire my 89 Rabbit from the engine all the way to the fuse block.
Electrical fires in the dash while driving are no fun. Dealer wanted an
absurd amount for a new harness. Worked out pretty well but took several
days to get it done. You should be able to fix your easily.
Andy
63 Camper

ups.com...

Old May 26th 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

bought it from the Thing Shop. Not cheap. but worth it,

I compared it to the original german that was on my military Thing...no
difference from quality point of view.

Civilizing my Thing makes electricals simpler....trust me

Old June 27th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Wiring harness (partial) for a '73 Thing? (and other parts)

I have some sources for VW Thing parts, have owned my '73 for years.

Try these sources
www.csp-shop.de
http://www.thingsforthething.com/
http://www.thethingshop.com/