Type I Clutch Cable

Old May 16th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Type I Clutch Cable

I have a 1967 Type I Beetle with a stock diaphragm clutch. The clutch
cable breaks every couple of years. It always breaks at one of the ends
where the cable is crimped into the fitting. It never breaks anywhere in
between. I always grease the cable upon installation. Is this common to
break this often? Are there any heavy duty clutch cables available? Any
suggestions to help the situation?

Note: Remove the "-nospam" from e-mail address to reply.
Old May 17th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Doug wrote:

> I have a 1967 Type I Beetle with a stock diaphragm clutch. The clutch
> cable breaks every couple of years. It always breaks at one of the ends
> where the cable is crimped into the fitting. It never breaks anywhere in
> between. I always grease the cable upon installation. Is this common to
> break this often? Are there any heavy duty clutch cables available? Any
> suggestions to help the situation?
>
> Note: Remove the "-nospam" from e-mail address to reply.

Good cables should last many, many years.
I imagine there is a lot of crap on nthe market now.

See if John can help you:
http://www.aircooled.net/

Jim
Old May 17th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
>> I have a 1967 Type I Beetle with a stock diaphragm clutch. The clutch
>> cable breaks every couple of years. It always breaks at one of the
>> ends where the cable is crimped into the fitting. It never breaks
>> anywhere in between. I always grease the cable upon installation. Is
>> this common to break this often? Are there any heavy duty clutch
>> cables available? Any suggestions to help the situation?
>>
>> Note: Remove the "-nospam" from e-mail address to reply.

> Good cables should last many, many years.
> I imagine there is a lot of crap on nthe market now.
>
> See if John can help you:
> http://www.aircooled.net/
>

> Jim

I sent him the same question but have yet to hear back.
Old May 17th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Doug" > wrote in message
. ..

>> See if John can help you:
>> http://www.aircooled.net/
>>

>> Jim

> I sent him the same question but have yet to hear back.

Doug, John C is very quick to respond...if you don't hear from him in a day
or so, it is possible that your email was sent to his spam folder.....just a
heads up type thing, because John is very quick....

Old May 17th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Do you notice any jerking as you move the clutch pedal?
Or does the clutch pedal operate very smoothly?
I am thinking that something is binding. If the body is rusty then it could
even be the body falling down and the top of the clutch operating lever is
hitting it.

It could also be the Bowden tube not correctly bent with washers/spacers.

good luck!
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old May 17th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

The clutch operates very smoothly and the bowden tube has a couple of
washers in it to increase the sag to about 1". I don't remember where I
bought the last cable, but I am beginning to think there are some bad
ones out there. I take it that aircooled.net sells cable as good as they
get, is that correct? Any suggestions as to where to buy and not buy?

Old May 17th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Doug
I'm not sure there are any very special cables out there, I've been
getting the same ones for many years and haven't had breaking problems.

I would also shop around, you can always get the same quality at a
lower price then at aircooled.net. I just visited Sundance Bug and
Buggie last weekend in Tampa, it was walking in to a candy store.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old May 17th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

>Doug, John C is very quick to respond...if you don't hear from him in a day
>or so, it is possible that your email was sent to his spam folder.....just
>a heads up type thing, because John is very quick....

He is. And I appreciate his terse responses.

But ya know, one day John C. will take a vacation and someone will cry a
river.

Old May 17th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"2" > wrote in message
> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>
>>Doug, John C is very quick to respond...if you don't hear from him in a
>>day or so, it is possible that your email was sent to his spam
>>folder.....just a heads up type thing, because John is very quick....

> He is. And I appreciate his terse responses.
>
> But ya know, one day John C. will take a vacation and someone will cry a
> river.

it has happened before..LOL....but the crying is usually due to emails not
being received by John...which reminds me....i emailed John a part question
about two months ago....he probably didn't get it...i may resend...<G>

Old May 18th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I have had my 67 for 9 years now, and have been fortunate have never
had a clutch cable break. Also have never had an accelerator cable or
clutch pedal return spring break as I have on other VWs in the past.

96 Jetta Clutch Cable Warren Abrey VW water cooled 8 July 20th 05 10:03 PM
95 Jeep Wrangler Shifting problems [email protected] Jeep 12 January 21st 05 07:56 PM
95 Neon Clutch, cable snap? Michael Chrysler 6 January 3rd 05 07:08 PM
Clutch question XS11E Ford Mustang 8 December 9th 04 07:12 PM
Clutch died on '96 Golf 1.8 Wakeley Purple VW water cooled 12 October 21st 04 10:31 AM