Do HEMIs really work?

Old May 15th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Do HEMIs really work?

I mean, are they more economical than regular V8s of same size?

(My guess is that they're not providing any significant fuel savings,
and that the added complexity will lead to lots of problems in the
years to come).

Old May 15th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> I mean, are they more economical than regular V8s of same size?
>
> (My guess is that they're not providing any significant fuel savings,
> and that the added complexity will lead to lots of problems in the
> years to come).

What added complexity is that ? Also I understand that the hemi design aids fuel
efficiency.

Graham

Old May 15th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the "multi-displacement
system" used in current V8 Chrysler Hemis (which I understand are not
true hemis), which deactivates 4 of the 8 cylinders when "cruising".

Old May 15th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the "multi-displacement
> system" used in current V8 Chrysler Hemis (which I understand are not
> true hemis), which deactivates 4 of the 8 cylinders when "cruising".

I hear they do indeed make significant fuel savings.

The added 'complexity' is minimal given what modern ECUs can do AIUI.

Graham

Old May 15th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Are the new DaimlerChrysler HEMIs available in the UK?

Old May 15th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> Are the new DaimlerChrysler HEMIs available in the UK?

The 300C is on sale here for sure. Never seen one around. Top Gear gave it a
mixed review. Nothing else with a HEMI AFAIK.
http://www.buyachryslerjeep.co.uk/ne...3-2cab5531c4bd

Graham

Old May 15th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"223rem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I mean, are they more economical than regular V8s of same size?
>
> (My guess is that they're not providing any significant fuel savings,
> and that the added complexity will lead to lots of problems in the
> years to come).

I suspect how they works depends a great deal on how you drive! A Chrysler
300 with the DOD (displacement on demand) engine has exactly the same fuel
economy ratings as a Ford Crown Victoria. The Crown Vic is larger and
heavier, and the Chrysler is a lot more powerful and much faster to 60. My
Mother easily exceeds the EPA highway mileage rating driving her older Grand
Marquis (essentially a rebadged Crwon Vic). She routinely pushed 30 mpg on a
trip. The Chevrolet Impala with the DOD system has better rating than either
the 300 or the Crown Vic, but then it is smaller/lighter than either of them
and is less powerful than the 300. I believe the DOD ystem is good for the
EPA mileage test and advertising, but for most people will not be
particualrly useful. Some careful drivers will probably be able to take
advantage of the system and get better highway mileage. However, if you are
buying a car to get good fuel mileage, anything with a faux hemi is not what
you need. For instance, when Consumer Reports tested a Monte Carlo with the
5.3L V-8 with DOD, they only averaged 17. The much larger and heavier Crown
Victoria average 16 under the same conditions. If fuel economy is high
priority, the Ford Five Hunder is a much better choise. The car is larger
than a 300, faster than a 300 V-6 (but much slower than a 300 with a faux
hemi) and get much better gas mileage than the 300 V-6 and much much better
fuel mileage than the 300 faux hemi. And it cost less to!

Ed

Old May 15th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"C. E. White" wrote:

> "223rem" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I mean, are they more economical than regular V8s of same size?
> >
> > (My guess is that they're not providing any significant fuel savings,
> > and that the added complexity will lead to lots of problems in the
> > years to come).

> I suspect how they works depends a great deal on how you drive! A Chrysler
> 300 with the DOD (displacement on demand) engine has exactly the same fuel
> economy ratings as a Ford Crown Victoria. The Crown Vic is larger and
> heavier, and the Chrysler is a lot more powerful and much faster to 60. My
> Mother easily exceeds the EPA highway mileage rating driving her older Grand
> Marquis (essentially a rebadged Crwon Vic). She routinely pushed 30 mpg on a
> trip. The Chevrolet Impala with the DOD system has better rating than either
> the 300 or the Crown Vic, but then it is smaller/lighter than either of them
> and is less powerful than the 300. I believe the DOD ystem is good for the
> EPA mileage test and advertising, but for most people will not be
> particualrly useful. Some careful drivers will probably be able to take
> advantage of the system and get better highway mileage. However, if you are
> buying a car to get good fuel mileage, anything with a faux hemi is not what
> you need. For instance, when Consumer Reports tested a Monte Carlo with the
> 5.3L V-8 with DOD, they only averaged 17. The much larger and heavier Crown
> Victoria average 16 under the same conditions. If fuel economy is high
> priority, the Ford Five Hunder is a much better choise. The car is larger
> than a 300, faster than a 300 V-6 (but much slower than a 300 with a faux
> hemi) and get much better gas mileage than the 300 V-6 and much much better
> fuel mileage than the 300 faux hemi. And it cost less to!

If you want good mileage simply don't drive a big heavy car !

A VW Golf isn't that small but can return 49 mpg in its turbo diesel variant.
http://www.transmitmedia.com/golfTDI/

Graham

Old May 15th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Pooh Bear" > wrote in message

> If you want good mileage simply don't drive a big heavy car !

True

> A VW Golf isn't that small but can return 49 mpg in its turbo diesel

variant.
> http://www.transmitmedia.com/golfTDI/

But it is still a VW.....

Ed

Old May 15th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:
> I mean, are they more economical than regular V8s of same size?
>
> (My guess is that they're not providing any significant fuel savings,
> and that the added complexity will lead to lots of problems in the
> years to come).

The hemi design has been around for decades, so it is a proven design.

The so-called DoD design seems to me to be more sizzle than steak. It
takes a certain amount of power to propel a car forward and this
switching system isn't going to change that requirement. It seems to
me to be a way to justify the continued production of inefficient very
large displacement motors more than anything else. Most of the DoD
engines seem to be destined for applications where the powerplant is
completely mismatched to the car. (Read overpowered).

A far more effective way of reducing the cost of fuel used for
transportation is to give some thought about the kind and size of car
needed and matching the appropriate power plant before writing a check
for $35,000. Follow that up with adopting a driving style that
emphasizes fuel economy where possible and you will achieve longer
lasting and significant reduction in fuel usage.