Spare 156 Key needed

Old May 10th 06, 02:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default Spare 156 Key needed

Hi,

I have recently broken the spare key for my beloved 156 and after some phone
calls to my usual garage (Coupers in St. Albans) found the only place I can
get one is from an Alfa main dealer - damn. Having rung Desira in north
London I was quoted £120 and a 5 day wait.

What planet are these people on?

Has anyone any ideas where I can source a spare key at a more realistic
price? It's the black flicky type with the button the open the boot as well
as the normal door button.

Thanks in advance

Doug

Old May 10th 06, 02:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Hi Doug,

My main dealer replaced one FOC - under warranty I guess. It had just
stopped working rather than showing signs of damage. This was in the
third year.

Paul
156 GTA

Old May 10th 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Doug" > wrote in message
news
> Hi,
>
> I have recently broken the spare key for my beloved 156 and after some
> phone calls to my usual garage (Coupers in St. Albans) found the only
> place I can get one is from an Alfa main dealer - damn. Having rung Desira
> in north London I was quoted £120 and a 5 day wait.
>
> What planet are these people on?
>
> Has anyone any ideas where I can source a spare key at a more realistic
> price? It's the black flicky type with the button the open the boot as
> well as the normal door button.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Doug

Mosy key-cut stores should be able to cut the key - now for the syncing to
the receiver - that's gonna be the one hour labour cost you are seeing thats
ramping up your cost - they need to plug in a computer and sync to your
key - a job of all but 5 mins - put its a acharge an hour or part thier
off...

Thats why I no longer own an Alfa - the garage prices for simple jobs are
over the top - when you would think that they would just be trying to please
thier customers (like Audi do) they are ****ing them off !

Dom

Old May 11th 06, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

I had three keys replaced under warranty for my 156. On the third
occasion I was given the parts receipt that the dealer had received
with the key. Now this is just from memory, but I'm pretty sure the
cost to the dealership was £56. They have to send off for a key-code
for your car - and they are supposed to get proof of ownership from you
before doing that, so I guess there may be some charge for that
service. But £120 total seems excessive - have you tried other
dealerships?

Also, depending on what you mean by "broken", you might like to look at
my earlier post:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt...epaired&qt_g=1

Any/all of this may not apply depending on the age of your 156. Mine
was a 2003 model.

Old May 11th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> I have recently broken the spare key for my beloved 156 and after some
> phone calls to my usual garage (Coupers in St. Albans) found the only
> place I can get one is from an Alfa main dealer - damn. Having rung Desira
> in north London I was quoted £120 and a 5 day wait.

Don't know the situation there, but here Fiat sell only comlete kits (locks
+ keys). The problem is because the key is coded, so you cannot order it in
common key shop. At the time I paid for one key around 50 EUR, now they ask
for a kit ~ 350 EUR....

Szymon

Old May 11th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Szymon > wrote:

> > I have recently broken the spare key for my beloved 156 and after some
> > phone calls to my usual garage (Coupers in St. Albans) found the only
> > place I can get one is from an Alfa main dealer - damn. Having rung Desira
> > in north London I was quoted £120 and a 5 day wait.

> Don't know the situation there, but here Fiat sell only comlete kits (locks
> + keys). The problem is because the key is coded, so you cannot order it in
> common key shop. At the time I paid for one key around 50 EUR, now they ask
> for a kit ~ 350 EUR....

That's the old Fiat CODE system with the master key and 2 'user' keys.
The 156 has a later generation system, so doesn't rely on the old
matched key / lock problems.

Besides that, so long as you had the master key for the CODE system, you
could still get spare keys - these days any half decent locksmith can
cut and code one for you even without the master.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL