It's hot in here!

Old May 9th 06, 04:12 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default It's hot in here!

I remember long road trips all over the western states and up into Canada.
That was about 40 years ago in my '65 Stingray. I was young and adventurous
and thought nothing of driving a day and night straight to get somewhere I
thought might be better, bigger, higher, lower.......

Loved it all, lived out of that car for weeks on end, camping and exploring,
and lots of fishing. Great memories of three summers, including some of
cooking my feet and legs from the build up of exhaust heat inside the car.
That wasn't so good.

I am now retired (finally) and want to recapture some of those feelings in a
long trip in my new C6 coupe. Coast to coast. I am wondering if that heat
thing is still a problem in these new Vettes when driving 6-8+ hours at a
time?

If cabin heat soak is still a problem, what can be done to help reduce the
affect? Insulating under floor mats, or between engine/trans (auto) and the
body, or even directly wrapping the exhaust? Or?

Is it going to be an issue? If so what to do?

brian

Old May 9th 06, 09:25 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Mon, 08 May 2006 20:12:48 -0700, Old & in the way....
> wrote:

> I remember long road trips all over the western states and up into
> Canada.
> That was about 40 years ago in my '65 Stingray. I was young and
> adventurous
> and thought nothing of driving a day and night straight to get somewhere
> thought might be better, bigger, higher, lower.......
>
> Loved it all, lived out of that car for weeks on end, camping and
> exploring,
> and lots of fishing. Great memories of three summers, including some of
> cooking my feet and legs from the build up of exhaust heat inside the
> car.
> That wasn't so good.
>
> I am now retired (finally) and want to recapture some of those feelings
> in a
> long trip in my new C6 coupe. Coast to coast. I am wondering if that heat
> thing is still a problem in these new Vettes when driving 6-8+ hours at a
> time?
>
> If cabin heat soak is still a problem, what can be done to help reduce
> the
> affect? Insulating under floor mats, or between engine/trans (auto) and
> the
> body, or even directly wrapping the exhaust? Or?
>
> Is it going to be an issue? If so what to do?
>

> brian

I don't recall ever having a problem, driving round Phoenix in my 99 C5.
My afternoon commute is 1-1.5 hours at about 4pm. In early September 2004,
I drove up to Yellowstone. Drove down to San Diego last year OK.

I've always found the a/c mighty powerful - the floor vents aren't as good
as the upper vents, but still OK. But I don't recall hot feet being a
problem - but then......I live in Phoenix - I'm used to the heat :-)

Old May 9th 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Old & in the way...." > wrote in message
>I remember long road trips all over the western states and up into
>Canada. That was about 40 years ago in my '65 Stingray. I was young
>and adventurous and thought nothing of driving a day and night
>straight to get somewhere I thought might be better, bigger, higher,
>lower.......
>
> Loved it all, lived out of that car for weeks on end, camping and
> exploring, and lots of fishing. Great memories of three summers,
> including some of cooking my feet and legs from the build up of
> exhaust heat inside the car. That wasn't so good.
>
> I am now retired (finally) and want to recapture some of those
> feelings in a long trip in my new C6 coupe. Coast to coast. I am
> wondering if that heat thing is still a problem in these new Vettes
> when driving 6-8+ hours at a time?
>
> If cabin heat soak is still a problem, what can be done to help
> reduce the affect? Insulating under floor mats, or between
> engine/trans (auto) and the body, or even directly wrapping the
> exhaust? Or?
>
> Is it going to be an issue? If so what to do?
>
> brian

The only issue I had when I drove my '04 coast to coast was the right
seat wanted to stop at night and sleep. No heat problems, just rain
all the way through Oregon and Washington. Hard snow storm in
Yellowstone and that added to the sloppy crap we drove through where
they were rebuilding the road. Over 100 degrees through Utah and
Wyoming that year with just a little let up in the plains of Nebraska
and Kansas. Back in the days of my travel in the '61 hot feet, and
back pain was expected after a 16 hour drive to the south to see my
wife's folks. The '63 I had wouldn't run that far without major
repairs so it went for a '64 that wasn't any better so it went for an
Impala to accommodate the upcoming child. Travel in the C5 and C6 is
not much different than doing it in the Cadillac, just wish there was
some way a woman could pack like you were traveling and not moving.

My God, that's it, those 3 suitcases soaked up the heat, I pack a soft
side so I can use the cracks left over.

As for the C6, it has only been to 14 states so far but just a touch
better than the C5 for creature comfort. I've only seen 104 degrees on
the outside thermometer and as a side note it ran 33 miles to the
gallon that day.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old May 9th 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Rufio wrote:
> On Mon, 08 May 2006 20:12:48 -0700, Old & in the way....
> > wrote:
>
>> I remember long road trips all over the western states and up into
>> Canada.
>> That was about 40 years ago in my '65 Stingray. I was young and
>> adventurous
>> and thought nothing of driving a day and night straight to get
>> somewhere I
>> thought might be better, bigger, higher, lower.......
>>
>> Loved it all, lived out of that car for weeks on end, camping and
>> exploring,
>> and lots of fishing. Great memories of three summers, including some of
>> cooking my feet and legs from the build up of exhaust heat inside the
>> car.
>> That wasn't so good.
>>
>> I am now retired (finally) and want to recapture some of those
>> feelings in a
>> long trip in my new C6 coupe. Coast to coast. I am wondering if that heat
>> thing is still a problem in these new Vettes when driving 6-8+ hours at a
>> time?
>>
>> If cabin heat soak is still a problem, what can be done to help reduce
>> the
>> affect? Insulating under floor mats, or between engine/trans (auto)
>> and the
>> body, or even directly wrapping the exhaust? Or?
>>
>> Is it going to be an issue? If so what to do?
>>

>> brian
>>

> I don't recall ever having a problem, driving round Phoenix in my 99 C5.
> My afternoon commute is 1-1.5 hours at about 4pm. In early September
> 2004, I drove up to Yellowstone. Drove down to San Diego last year OK.
>
> I've always found the a/c mighty powerful - the floor vents aren't as
> good as the upper vents, but still OK. But I don't recall hot feet being
> a problem - but then......I live in Phoenix - I'm used to the heat :-)

Here are some 'desert-rat' comparisons: The A/C in my white topped C4
(well maintained R-12 system) just keeps up with 85 degrees on the
desert. At 90+ degrees it gets behind the eight ball in about 20
minutes. With the glass top (with perf shade) on the car, the A/C is
barely equal to 80 degrees OAT and there's 'noticeable' radiant heat and
conducted 'warmth' from the headers and CAT.

My C4 is cooler though than any C3 coupe I've been in on the desert save
for a car with side pipes.

In comparison, I've run a couple of rental '98s, a '99 and my '02 across
the same roads and not felt uncomfortable at 90+ degrees. C5 is a much
nicer ride in the heat. The C6 should be better since, I think, that
the cabin volume and 'sun wetted' area are a tad smaller. Hey Dad --
is that true??

Drink lots of water, move slowly, sweat nothing ... (old Conch saying
from Key West)
--
PJ
'89 Hookercar '02 e-blu 6-spd coupe
Old May 9th 06, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Dad wrote:
Travel in the C5 and C6 is
> not much different than doing it in the Cadillac, just wish there was
> some way a woman could pack like you were traveling and not moving.

There's hope Dad. This is a rare part of the aging process that yields
improvement. I found that mine started leaving the kitchen sink and
train case, with a five year supply of cosmetics and Cleopatra's oils,
at home when she turned ??. (probably about 10-12 years senior to your
bride.)

Nowdays, I can suggest a trip to Santa Barbara when we get up and she's
packed and raring to go within 45 minutes. Nearly as fast as when we
were dating.

--
PJ
Old May 9th 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

> In comparison, I've run a couple of rental '98s, a '99 and my '02 across
> the same roads and not felt uncomfortable at 90+ degrees. C5 is a much
> nicer ride in the heat. The C6 should be better since, I think, that the
> cabin volume and 'sun wetted' area are a tad smaller. Hey Dad --
> is that true??
>
> Drink lots of water, move slowly, sweat nothing ... (old Conch saying from
> Key West)
> --
> PJ
> '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu 6-spd coupe

I have an C5 '04 Z06. Since the Z06 is a coupe, there's less glass than the
hatchback. The a/c is awesome. Here in Fresno, where it hits 100 degrees
for weeks at a time, it cools great. Just better park it in the shade with
the black leather interior.

Ed

Old May 9th 06, 08:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"PJ" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
> Travel in the C5 and C6 is
>> not much different than doing it in the Cadillac, just wish there
>> was some way a woman could pack like you were traveling and not
>> moving.

> There's hope Dad. This is a rare part of the aging process that
> yields improvement. I found that mine started leaving the kitchen
> sink and train case, with a five year supply of cosmetics and
> Cleopatra's oils, at home when she turned ??. (probably about 10-12
> years senior to your bride.)

Not much chance I'm married to an 80 year old woman and if she took 45
minutes to get ready she stays home.

Old May 9th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Dad wrote:
> "PJ" > wrote in message
>> Dad wrote:
>> Travel in the C5 and C6 is
>>> not much different than doing it in the Cadillac, just wish there
>>> was some way a woman could pack like you were traveling and not
>>> moving.

>> There's hope Dad. This is a rare part of the aging process that
>> yields improvement. I found that mine started leaving the kitchen
>> sink and train case, with a five year supply of cosmetics and
>> Cleopatra's oils, at home when she turned ??. (probably about 10-12
>> years senior to your bride.)
>>

> Not much chance I'm married to an 80 year old woman and if she took 45
> minutes to get ready she stays home.

trumps me LOL

PJ
'89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe
Old May 10th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

We were driving thru Oklahoma 3-4 years ago in the C5, temperature got
to 111 degrees and the wife was feeling too warm. So we stopped and put
the top up to keep the A/C in. ;-)

Old May 10th 06, 01:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

'and want to recapture some of those feelings in a long trip in my new
C6 coupe. Coast to coast. I am wondering if that heat thing is still a
problem in these new Vettes when driving 6-8+ hours at a time?
If cabin heat soak is still a problem, what can be done to help reduce
the affect? '

REPLY: Brian, Im in the process right now of insulating the heck out of
my C6 . Already there is a noticable difference and im not done. So far,
ive pulled out the rear cargo area carpetting and added mat insulation
with aluminum foil backing in addition to stuffing the cavities just to
the front of the rear wheel wells by the speakers. Big difference
especially on sound levels. I also pulled the rear wheels and the
plastic wheel well liners and got 1/2" mat insulation behind the liners
in addition to stuffing the cavities before and after the wheel wells.

Next im going to insulate the tunnel from underneath and add insulation
under the front carpetting. Havent looked at the front wheel well liners
yet, but, its probably do-able .

I took the C6 on a 9 hour trip a few weeks back to the NCM in KY, and it
was very enjoyable to drive . Was not as tired as i thought i would be
and i drove straight thru.

Dave
2006 LS2
1970 BB T Tops