Need expert advice (halide to halogen?)

Old January 9th 05, 04:58 AM
John Diamond

Default Need expert advice (halide to halogen?)

I have a 96 Lincoln Mark 8. I don't care for my current headlights, which
are metal halide bluelights.

My question: Is it possible to convert them over to regular halogen
headlights. If so, how would I go about this?

Thank you!

Old January 9th 05, 03:19 PM
Burt Squareman

"John Diamond" > wrote in message ...
> I have a 96 Lincoln Mark 8. I don't care for my current headlights, which
> are metal halide bluelights. My question: Is it possible to convert them over
>to regular halogen headlights. If so, how would I go about this?

Depending on the lamp, this is how I'd do it. With a wire snipper, cut
out the halide lamp from its housing. Next, install a cool blue halogen
(usually by welding or wire twists) in its place. Disconnect the ballast
then rearrange the power supply to handle the new halogen bulb.

If you go with regular halogen you'll get a dull amber light. Blue or cool
blue coated bulbs appear are somewhat white.

Old January 9th 05, 07:09 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, John Diamond wrote:

> I have a 96 Lincoln Mark 8. I don't care for my current headlights,
> which are metal halide bluelights.

OK. You don't care for them because...?

Background info on your headlamp system:

That HID (MH) system (ANSI 9500) is a DC system that was used ONLY on the
Lincoln Mark for a couple of years before it was scuttled due to
erratic/short bulb and ballast life. All subsequent automotive HID systems
use the substantially more robust AC-operated D1/D2 system, with
world-standardized components with much lower pricetags. Unfortunately the
bulbs don't interchange directly.

The DC components' manufacture was discontinued forever at the end of
1998; there exist some remaining pieces in the Ford parts system (which
was the only source for them all along), but when they're gone, they're
gone.

> My question: Is it possible to convert them over to regular halogen
> headlights. If so, how would I go about this?

Well, first step is to disregard this "Burt Squareman" joker, who
obviously hasn't a clue. A halogen bulb will not physically fit into the
large (almost 2" round!) bulb hole in your headlamps, and even if it
would, beam performance would be exceptionally poor because the optics are
different for halogen vs. MH. And "cool blue" bulbs are never better than
clear-glass items. So much for Mr. Squareman.

Second step is to go purchase the halogen headlamp assemblies. You can get
them new at the dealer, and you should not attempt to install used ones,
for the early runs of these headlamps deteriorated quickly and badly
(lenses opacified, reflectors corroded and peeled).

Install the headlamps in the car. Be advised these headlamps perform
poorly, because they are too small for the job they are asked to do. To
try to compensate for the grossly undersized optic unit, Ford installed
the most powerful halogen bulb available at the time of manufacture (the
9005, which is normally used only as a high beam bulb) in both low and
high beams. It made the low beams legal, but only just. Add in Ford's
notoriously inadequate headlamp wiring, and things get ugly.

Results are halfway decent if you install 9011 bulbs instead of 9005s (see
http://bmwz.org/articles/lighting/0506trick/ ) and feed 'em with relays
(see http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html ).

-DS
Old January 10th 05, 11:33 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, John Diamond wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Daniel. I've decided to go ahead and replace the
> halide lamp. How do I go about replacing it myself?

Which part(s) of the headlamp assembly do you wish to replace?
Old January 11th 05, 01:50 AM
John Diamond

Old January 11th 05, 05:57 AM
John Diamond

> Which part(s) of the headlamp assembly do you wish to <replace?

My ballast is fine. I just need to replace the halide bulb with a new one.
Do you know where I can buy one on the internet? I'm not even sure what the
number of the bulb is. But it's for a 96 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. Thanks
Daniel

Old January 11th 05, 07:59 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, John Diamond wrote:

> > Which part(s) of the headlamp assembly do you wish to <replace?

> My ballast is fine. I just need to replace the halide bulb with a new one.
> Do you know where I can buy one on the internet? I'm not even sure what the
> number of the bulb is. But it's for a 96 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC.

The bulb type is ANSI 9500. The only source is/was Ford, and lately Ford
has taken to trying to sell the dual ballast and two bulbs as an
inseparable package for some obscene amount of money, especially given the
relative unreliability of this DC halide system. I've had an adaptor plate
designed that'll allow these headlamps to take the much more robust (and
much more available, and much less costly) current-production AC halide
bulbs and ballasts, but the first one'll cost $500. After that they'll be
cheap.
Old January 12th 05, 04:41 AM
John Diamond

> The bulb type is ANSI 9500.

Thanks for the info Daniel. Is the ANSI 9500 the same as a D2S bulb?