Yet another DUH!

Old July 20th 05, 07:00 AM
Dave

> Yeah, I'm sure I'll be able to find _your_ phone after you've rolled
> your car end over end out into the woods someplace, and you're totally
> unconscious and, as I said, bleeding to death.
>
> As for the risk, there are risks to having fewer people in society that
> have instant communications of a cell phone.

Oh well, I have bigger issues in life to worry about than if some
self-centered dumbass is going to bother helping me if I happen to be
in a wreck, and incapacitated, in the middle of the woods on a desolate
road. Like, I have to worry if aforementioned dumbass is going to
drive into me while checking to see when a movie is playing.

Dave

Old July 20th 05, 05:04 PM
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> On 19 Jul 2005 23:27:33 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:

wrote in
groups.com:

>>> Yeah, I'm sure I'll be able to find _your_ phone after you've rolled
>>> your car end over end out into the woods someplace, and you're totally
>>> unconscious and, as I said, bleeding to death.
>>>
>>> As for the risk, there are risks to having fewer people in society that
>>> have instant communications of a cell phone.
>>>
>>> Dave Head
>>>

>>You STILL can have it with you,

> Could, but won't.
>
>>and still can use in -in an emergency-,just
>>not use it during ordinary driving.

> Nope, won't have it at all.
>
> Dave Head

Don't blame us for your poor choice.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 20th 05, 11:44 PM
Dave Head

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:10:36 -0700, "C.H." > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>
>> On 14 Jul 2005 14:43:18 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>>>
>>>Well,it sounds like no great loss to the rest of us.after all,by your own
>>>admission,you don't make or receive that many calls.

>> Nope - only if I'm the one that rolls up on you while you're bleeding to
>> death, and there's not going to be anyone else around for the next
>> half-hour or so, and I have sold the cell phone.

>I am much more likely to be bleeding to death because you have t-boned me in
>your cellphone induced stupidity than to be saved by your cellphone.
>
>> Others will delete the cell phone from their lists of expenses, too, if
>> they can't use it where they most need it. This problem will _not_ be as
>> isolated as you might like it to be.

>On the contrary, as the example Germany clearly shows.
>
>>>And how many accidents or calls for help have you made so far???

>> Reported a drunk driver a couple years ago. Other than that, haven't had
>> an opportunity.

>In other words you are endangering people on a daily basis

Yeah, you do that by simply driving. Driving is dangerous. However, it has,
at any given moment, a damn-near-zero chance for an accident. Driving is
incredibly simple if you simply stay alert. Some people can talk and do that,
some people can't. And as I said, if something out the window requires my
attention, its going to get it. So, my chance of having an accident while
doing this may be damn-near-zero, or if you take the Australian study under
advisement maybe 4 times damn-near-zero, and that still amounts to
damn-near-zero.

Its like when I was in a trainer plane with my instructor, we were approaching
an uncontrolled airport where you're supposed to announce your intentions on
the unicom (radio) frequency. I started to do that, and then there was an
anomaly during a turn onto base leg and I stopped talking on the radio to take
care of it. Impressed my instructor with that, but it just comes naturally for
me. That which can get me bleeding gets the most attention - always has,
always will.

>but have only
>made one call that might have had a slightly beneficial effect on safety in
>three years? Thanks for making our case for cellphone ban at the wheel.

Not. Just your wildly active imagination that everyone is going to fly off the
road and crash if they talk on a cell phone. Hey - if driving is so damn
dangerous, can I breath while I drive? How about blink? This stuff is silly -
the task isn't that hard. All you have to do is know how to pay attention to
the most important stuff while incidentally doing some other stuff. It can be
done, but has to be practiced.

Dave Head

Old July 21st 05, 01:24 AM
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> Just your wildly active imagination that everyone is going to
> fly off the road and crash if they talk on a cell phone. Hey - if
> driving is so damn dangerous, can I breath while I drive? How about
> blink? This stuff is silly - the task isn't that hard. All you have
> to do is know how to pay attention to the most important stuff while
> incidentally doing some other stuff. It can be done, but has to be
> practiced.
>
> Dave Head
>
>>Chris

You and many others fail to see the difference between talking on the CP in
urban driving conditions,and on the open highways.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 21st 05, 02:41 AM
Dave Head

:

>> Just your wildly active imagination that everyone is going to
>> fly off the road and crash if they talk on a cell phone. Hey - if
>> driving is so damn dangerous, can I breath while I drive? How about
>> blink? This stuff is silly - the task isn't that hard. All you have
>> to do is know how to pay attention to the most important stuff while
>> incidentally doing some other stuff. It can be done, but has to be
>> practiced.
>>
>> Dave Head
>>
>>>Chris

>You and many others fail to see the difference between talking on the CP in
>urban driving conditions,and on the open highways.

Who said anything about urban/suburban/rural driving conditions? The
contention here by all the Safety Nazis / Chicken Littles is that we're all
gonna die if we talk on the CP while driving. If that weren't the case, they
wouldn't be advocating a nationwide ban on using cell phones in cars, which is
exactly where they've been taking this.

Dave Head

Old July 21st 05, 04:14 PM
Harry K

Dave Head wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2005 00:24:00 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>
> >Dave Head > wrote in
> :
> >

> >> Just your wildly active imagination that everyone is going to
> >> fly off the road and crash if they talk on a cell phone. Hey - if
> >> driving is so damn dangerous, can I breath while I drive? How about
> >> blink? This stuff is silly - the task isn't that hard. All you have
> >> to do is know how to pay attention to the most important stuff while
> >> incidentally doing some other stuff. It can be done, but has to be
> >> practiced.
> >>
> >> Dave Head

> >You and many others fail to see the difference between talking on the CP in
> >urban driving conditions,and on the open highways.

> Who said anything about urban/suburban/rural driving conditions? The
> contention here by all the Safety Nazis / Chicken Littles is that we're all
> gonna die if we talk on the CP while driving. If that weren't the case, they
> wouldn't be advocating a nationwide ban on using cell phones in cars, which is
> exactly where they've been taking this.
>
> Dave Head

And I hope they succeed. There are enough idiots on the road who can't
drive even without the distraction of yakking on a piece of ear candy.
Your description of what you use one for is very illumative.

Harry K

Old July 21st 05, 04:24 PM
N8N

Harry K wrote:
> Dave Head wrote:
> > On 21 Jul 2005 00:24:00 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
> >
> > >Dave Head > wrote in
> > :

> > >You and many others fail to see the difference between talking on the CP in
> > >urban driving conditions,and on the open highways.

> > Who said anything about urban/suburban/rural driving conditions? The
> > contention here by all the Safety Nazis / Chicken Littles is that we're all
> > gonna die if we talk on the CP while driving. If that weren't the case, they
> > wouldn't be advocating a nationwide ban on using cell phones in cars, which is
> > exactly where they've been taking this.
> >
> > Dave Head

> And I hope they succeed. There are enough idiots on the road who can't
> drive even without the distraction of yakking on a piece of ear candy.
> Your description of what you use one for is very illumative.
>
> Harry K

What about the people who are competent enough to walk and chew gum at
the same time? Are we to penalize them for the inability of others to
realize their limitations?

nate

....who literally could not do his job effectively without a CP. Yes I
use a headset whenever I'm away from the office.

Old July 22nd 05, 02:15 AM
Harry K

N8N wrote:
> Harry K wrote:
> > Dave Head wrote:

> > > :

> > > Who said anything about urban/suburban/rural driving conditions? The
> > > contention here by all the Safety Nazis / Chicken Littles is that we're all
> > > gonna die if we talk on the CP while driving. If that weren't the case, they
> > > wouldn't be advocating a nationwide ban on using cell phones in cars, which is
> > > exactly where they've been taking this.
> > >
> > > Dave Head

> > And I hope they succeed. There are enough idiots on the road who can't
> > drive even without the distraction of yakking on a piece of ear candy.
> > Your description of what you use one for is very illumative.
> >
> > Harry K

> What about the people who are competent enough to walk and chew gum at
> the same time? Are we to penalize them for the inability of others to
> realize their limitations?
>
> nate
>
> ...who literally could not do his job effectively without a CP. Yes I
> use a headset whenever I'm away from the office.

You mean those who -think- they can. Just like all of us (me included)
on this board that -think- they are the greatest drivers to ever come
down the pike.
Business was conducted for over a 100 years without the use of CPs.
Granted they are damn useful but hardly essential. Then there is the
always non-popular option of PARKING to make the call.

How about banning them across the board except for those who can pass a
test by making a 5 minute important call while performing some
technical task? Should be possible to set up some sort of a lab
environment for it.

Harry K

Old July 22nd 05, 02:36 PM
Ted B.

> How about banning them across the board except for those who can pass a
> test by making a 5 minute important call while performing some
> technical task? Should be possible to set up some sort of a lab
> environment for it.
>
> Harry K

I'd agree with this, somewhat. I know that some people are multi-taskers
and others aren't. I am, but (sadly) my wife is NOT. Your test would
result in my being given permission (in advance) to use a cell phone while
driving. However, I don't think this should actually be done. It would be
a logistical nightmare. The lines at the DMV are already DAYS long. -Dave