Transponder/PATS Problem?

Old June 25th 05, 10:05 PM
MckinneyStang

Default Transponder/PATS Problem?

Help! I just purchased a 98 Mustang GT yesterday. I was so excited until I
was home after a few hours and tried to start the car. It wouldn't start
the "Theft" alert just kept blinking. I have no power, no nothing. I
bought the car from a used car lot, and only have one key. Has anyone else
had a problem like this? I don't know what to do. I don't want to take it
to the Ford Dealership, because then we're talking $$$$$$$$$.Help
Please!!!

Old June 25th 05, 11:34 PM
Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:05:08 -0400, "MckinneyStang"
> wrote:

>Help! I just purchased a 98 Mustang GT yesterday. I was so excited until I
>was home after a few hours and tried to start the car. It wouldn't start
>the "Theft" alert just kept blinking. I have no power, no nothing. I
>bought the car from a used car lot, and only have one key. Has anyone else
>had a problem like this? I don't know what to do. I don't want to take it
>to the Ford Dealership, because then we're talking $$$$$$$$$.Help
>Please!!!

If you have no power, no nothing, then you need a new battery.
Old June 26th 05, 02:43 AM
Jim Warman

Check to see if there is a Code Alarm(Ford approved remote start) installed.
If so, and the starter lockout is enabled, you may need a prograamed FOB to
start the car or you can bypass the lockout wiring.

This is only one possibility... why not contact the car lot???

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 26th 05, 04:53 AM
Musttanguy

The PATS system will allow the motor to crank over but just not start.
If you have no power, there is something else causing your problem. An
aftermarket alarm w/ignition interupt, bad clutch interlock switch,
neutral safety switch, starter solenoid, ignition switch, etc. would be
the most common cause provided battery is good.
Make sure car is in PARK or NEUTRAL if auto, or clutch is FULLY
depressed if manual while starting.

Hope this is helpful

Tim (Musttanguy)
PonyPerformance.com

Old June 26th 05, 05:53 AM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:43:48 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Check to see if there is a Code Alarm(Ford approved remote start) installed.
>If so, and the starter lockout is enabled, you may need a prograamed FOB to
>start the car or you can bypass the lockout wiring.
>
>This is only one possibility... why not contact the car lot???

lmfao
she started with a non pats duplicate key
better get out that WDS
LMFAO

Old June 27th 05, 04:55 AM
MckinneyStang

Thanks everyone for all of your help. It's great to know that you guys are
out there. I'm a newbie with Mustangs so I'll probably need your expertise
again. I ended up going to the Ford Dealership and the serviceman
recommended that I disconnect the battery, and let the car sit for awhile
and then the computer can reset itself. lo and behold two-three hours
later. The car started right up. Thanks everyone

Old June 28th 05, 02:52 AM
Big Al

"Musttanguy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The PATS system will allow the motor to crank over but just not start.
> If you have no power, there is something else causing your problem. An
> aftermarket alarm w/ignition interupt, bad clutch interlock switch,
> neutral safety switch, starter solenoid, ignition switch, etc. would be
> the most common cause provided battery is good.
> Make sure car is in PARK or NEUTRAL if auto, or clutch is FULLY
> depressed if manual while starting.
>
> Hope this is helpful
>
> Tim (Musttanguy)

Is this true? I have a 2000 Contour and it has the PATS system. It will not
crank. One of my keys is flaky, only cranks with it in one way. Turn it
upside down and the ignition will come on but the LED flashed quick and it
will not crank.

Al

Old June 28th 05, 03:15 AM

On 25 Jun 2005 20:53:12 -0700, "Musttanguy" >
wrote:

>The PATS system will allow the motor to crank over but just not start.
>If you have no power, there is something else causing your problem. An
>aftermarket alarm w/ignition interupt, bad clutch interlock switch,
>neutral safety switch, starter solenoid, ignition switch, etc. would be
>the most common cause provided battery is good.
>Make sure car is in PARK or NEUTRAL if auto, or clutch is FULLY
>depressed if manual while starting.
>
>Hope this is helpful
>
>Tim (Musttanguy)
>PonyPerformance.com