I need a better winter car...

Old March 1st 05, 10:45 PM
Henrik Ohm Eriksen

An x5 seems right in case you really like to drive in the snow ;-)

And its a nice car too - I dont have any problems in the snow we get here in
denmark..

/Henrik

Old March 1st 05, 11:50 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:46:08 GMT, Ulf > wrote:

>My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
>but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
>of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
>windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck... :-(
>
>First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
>
>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg

You look like your on the shoulder in those

>Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
>
>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg
>
>Notice that both times I'm stuck completely *on* the road.

No, this time you're definitely *OFF* the road.

Why not move where it doesn't ****ing snow so bloody much?

Old March 2nd 05, 12:19 AM
The Malt Hound

"John Burns" > wrote in message
>> My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles
>> great,
>> but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a
>> couple
>> of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying
>> onto the
>> windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm
>> stuck... :-(

> Wow! And I thought my E30 saw serious snow in the winter! I'm
> assuming
> your on snow tyres. Time for a 325iX I think ;-)

psha!! That snow's not all that deep. He just ran the car into the
snow bank and didn't have good winter tires...

-Fred W

Old March 2nd 05, 12:21 AM
The Malt Hound

"Cartlon Shew" > wrote in message
news
> Why not move where it doesn't ****ing snow so bloody much?

I'm not the OP, but I know the answer to that one"

'cause that's where all the other people live...

There is a lot of value in being away from the rest of humanity.

-Fred W

Old March 2nd 05, 12:23 AM
Snow

"> Ah.. I love Jeep mentality "a ****ty peice of ****" nice!!!... Thats
> why Rovers are always pulling them out....Your JeeP is not the best
> offroader out there so how about you sit back and have a nice cup of
> "shut the f@$k up".

Never seen any Land Rovers around here. But I have pulled many of European
crap out of ditches, pulled even more Asian riced crap out. Advantages of
driving for a towing service :P... oh and yes pulled a few JeePs out too.

Snow......"your suvee is NOT a JeeP and my JeeP is NOT a suvee"

Old March 2nd 05, 01:39 AM
Bradburn Fentress

"Snow" > wrote in message
. ..

> "> Ah.. I love Jeep mentality "a ****ty peice of ****" nice!!!... Thats
>> why Rovers are always pulling them out....Your JeeP is not the best
>> offroader out there so how about you sit back and have a nice cup of
>> "shut the f@$k up".

> Never seen any Land Rovers around here. But I have pulled many of
> European crap out of ditches, pulled even more Asian riced crap out.
> Advantages of driving for a towing service :P... oh and yes pulled a few
> JeePs out too.

Like almost anything to do with stuck cars, it generally has little
importance what they are driving.....bad drivers can get stuck in almost any
car they drive, and good drivers can manage to move safely no matter how
difficult the vehicle they seem to be piloting.

And while I myself really love Jeeps and own two, neither Jeep nor Land
Rover make the best full line 4x4/off-road vehicles...that honor goes to
Land Cruiser. We, and Europe, just don't get some of their best units. In
SOuth Amercia you can find LC's that are superb. Built like monster and
perform with ease and capability. I am even of an opinion that Jeep and LR
don't match up against some of Mistu's 4x4's, but then Mitus doesn't have a
full line of off-roaders.

By the way JeFf Strickland (I remember you from the r.a.m.j.w) have you seen
the LC FJ40 coming to the states in a couple years. Beautiful little retro
4x4 with starting price around 23, 000 (according to AutoWeek). Jeeps in for
a fight when Toyota lands that little bugger on our shores. The kids are
gonna love it.

Old March 2nd 05, 01:40 AM
Bradburn Fentress

"The Malt Hound" <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote in message

> There is a lot of value in being away from the rest of humanity.

Are you implying that where Ulf lives, humanity doesn't exist :^)

Old March 2nd 05, 01:52 AM
Dave C.

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles great,
> but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within a couple
> of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes flying onto the
> windshield. I brake because I can't see anything, and then I'm stuck...

:-(

In snow, momentum is your friend. You don't need a better car. Just turn
the wipers on high before you hit a drift, pay attention to the road beyond
the drift and keep moving. -Dave

Old March 2nd 05, 02:31 AM
Ulf

The Malt Hound wrote:
> "Ulf" > wrote in message
>
>>My '86 BMW 323 is really a crappy winter car. Sure, it handles
>>great, but I get stuck everywhere! Today, I got stuck *twice* within
>>a couple of minutes. Same scenario, hit a snowdrift and snow goes
>>flying onto the windshield. I brake because I can't see anything,
>>and then I'm stuck... :-(
>>
>>First time, notice how little snow it actually takes:
>>
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw1.jpg
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw2.jpg
>>
>>Second time, this time the car stopped in the next snowdrift:
>>
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw3.jpg
>>http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw4.jpg
>>
>>Notice that both times I'm stuck completely *on* the road.
>>
>>I'm leaning more and more towards a 525xi, nothing like AWD to avoid
>>getting stuck. :-)

> This is a joke right?
>
> You don't look like your "on the road" to me. Looks like you drove
> into the snowbank.

Well, the "snowbank" was *on* the road. :-)

Here are two more pictures. In the first I'm parked *off* the road while
taking the picture. This is also before I got stuck as you can see by
the front only being covered by road grime and not snow.

In the second picture, compare how much of the amber sticks, marking the
edges of the road, is viable on the right vs. the left side of the road.
I'd estimate that it's between two and three feet of snow *on* the road
on the right side. I'm standing pretty much in the middle of the road in
this picture too.

http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw5.jpg (original size)
http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/bmw6.JPG

> Also, do you have snow tires on the thing (can't tell)

Yup, studded snow tires.

> -Fred W

Ulf