90 Wrangler V8 Swap question

Old April 10th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default 90 Wrangler V8 Swap question

I have a 90 Sahara witha 4.2L engine that has just died on me. I am
planning on doing a motor swap soon and I was looking for a 4.0L. Today
however I got the option of picking up a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo with
the V8 and only 75k that was hit in the rear for only $500. I have done
a ton of research and have all the info I need for the 4.0L swap, but I
haven't been able to find much on this type of swap. Is it any more
dificult then the 4.0 swap, what type of money am I loking at, or is it
even worth it to do in the first place?
Any info, sugestions, opinions or even a finger pointed in the right
direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

Old April 10th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On 9 Apr 2006 21:49:11 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I have a 90 Sahara witha 4.2L engine that has just died on me. I am
>planning on doing a motor swap soon and I was looking for a 4.0L. Today
>however I got the option of picking up a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo with
>the V8 and only 75k that was hit in the rear for only $500. I have done
>a ton of research and have all the info I need for the 4.0L swap, but I
>haven't been able to find much on this type of swap. Is it any more
>dificult then the 4.0 swap, what type of money am I loking at, or is it
>even worth it to do in the first place?
>Any info, sugestions, opinions or even a finger pointed in the right
>direction would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,
> Randy

A AMC 304/360 /401 will pretty much bolt in as the bellhousing is the
same on AMC motors. A Dodge 318 or 360 WILL NOT bolt in without a
tranny swap too. Nothing wrong with AMC V8's and since AMC owned Jeep
for almost 20 years it will still be a real Jeep with a AMC motor in
it too (AMC brought a stable engine supply to Jeep and after mid 70's
the bellhousing partern is the same on AMC 6 cyl and V8 engines. I
have a 27 year old AMC 360 in a J20 truck that still runs well.
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com