88 Prelude Front Shock Fork Bolt Seized

Old March 1st 05, 08:07 PM

Default 88 Prelude Front Shock Fork Bolt Seized

When confronted with this problem I googled and did not find a clear
solution, but found several post describing the same thing. I guess
it's a common problem to have the pinch bolt that connects the
shock/strut fork to the steering knuckle seize in the bushing. This
bolt needs to be removed in order to replace the drive axle (my
situation) or to replace the shock/strut and other suspension or
steering work.

I found an easy way to solve the problem so I thought I'd post my
solution for future reference.

The nut comes off easily with an impact wrench, but the bolt can get
stuck, and won't turn because it appears to be splined in the bushing.
What's worse, since the bushing is rubber, there's just enough "give"
to drastically reduce the effectiveness of a whack from the hammer. I
placed a scrap nut on the end of the bolt and hit it HARD with a 4 lb.
sledge and it still didn't budge.

Finally, I thought of the air hammer. I had an attachment that is
simply round and pointed, so I ground the tip down to make the striking
surface flat and almost the same diameter as the bolt. Then, I left the
scrap nut on the end, so that the nut would help keep the chisel
centered on the bolt and let 'er rip. It worked like a charm! I bet
I'll use this trick again. The chisel was small enought to push all the
way through the bushing.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Tom