156 radiator

Old June 30th 04, 07:33 AM
Ppelectron

Default 156 radiator

Just wondering if anyone has tried replacing the radiator in a 156 (V6 with
aircon)? Is it a straightforward job or a 3 hour one as I was told by Alfa? Any
idea whether the metal plate directly above the radiator (looks like part of
the car chassis / body to me) needs to be removed in order to get the radiator
out?

All help appreciated!

Phil 156 V6 1998

Old July 2nd 04, 10:15 PM
SS

can't comment on the V6 but on the 2 litre petrol the mechanic I took it to
described the job as
'a right ba$tard' when i got it back.
They actually needed longer than they thought...

SS

Old July 3rd 04, 02:13 AM
zoro

Today we replace one one on 2Ltr. 156 and it take some 4 hr.
Looks like on 2.5L models it'll be more

Old July 3rd 04, 09:19 AM
Ppelectron

>Today we replace one one on 2Ltr. 156 and it take some 4 hr.
>Looks like on 2.5L models it'll be more

Thanks for the replies. I let an Alfa dealer change the radiator in the end and
it took 3 hours. Apparently to replace the radiator on a V6 with aircon, you
have to remove the front bumper assembly. Not a cheap job. The radiator itself
costs £200, so there was not much change out of £500. :-(
Old July 3rd 04, 12:02 PM
Jacopo (Netscape 7.1)

Uh if you find something to drain the radiator's coolant please let me
know, I'm looking for it but no success.

Jacopo
Sportwagon 2.5 V6

Old July 17th 04, 06:11 PM
Smart Alec

I just did the same job on my 2.0l TS the Rad itself cost £167.00 and the it
took me approximately two and a half hours to do including the time taken to
repair the engine under tray. I might add that I'm not that mechanically
minded and didn't even have to lift the car off the ground!

--
Smart

Old August 6th 04, 04:42 PM
gwalia

Question for smart alec,
where did you buy the new rad? i have a colling problem which appears to
be a defective (not leaking) radiator. car overheated i.e. max temp,
steam and water spraying out from under the bonnet. a mechanic suggested
that i limped home using the heater on full to cool down the engine ,
which actually worked.