Valve Spring Replacment - 97 Wrangler

Old March 19th 05, 02:17 PM
Mike Romain

I believe they put a bad batch of springs into a few of the engines.

I 'think' Jerry B changed the springs in his for the same reason.

The lifters are just fine and are not adjustable.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 19th 05, 04:44 PM
Jerry Bransford

I changed my valve springs to cure a bad recurring misfire that was
caused by a bad batch of valve springs in most '97 and some '98 4.0L
engines. The misfire caused the engine to run roughly and light the
Check Engine light but it didn't cause noisy valves. And as Mike said,
the valves are hydraulically actuated and are thus non-adjustable.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old March 20th 05, 06:41 AM
bllsht

The only way valve springs can make noise is if they're broken. If that's the
case, noise will be the least of your worries.

More likely lifters are the cause. I think I'd try an additive like "Lifter
Free" before replacing them. Might save a few bucks if it works.

The valve spring replacement that others have referenced here was only a part of
the fix for misfire problems. The actual problem was carbon buildup on the
exhaust valves causing them to be "slow to close", thus causing a misfire.
Stronger valve springs were to help overcome this problem.

Old March 20th 05, 02:54 PM
mic canic

i have seen the noisey lifter issue on a lot of 4.0's and some go forever
without failing i have seen some replaced at my work and actually made the
lifter noise worse
in my hipo engines i like a little chatter i know that the valves are closing
all the way there is even a shim kit made for the rocker shafts to riase the
hight

Old March 20th 05, 06:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Back in my drag racing days we used adjust the Chevy lifters to
zero rather than the one turn down to get all the lift and duration out
of a stock cam. Unfortunately some times they pumped up and suck a
valve.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 20th 05, 08:36 PM
Mick Miller

i am no getting a missfire.

no smoke no loss of power...other than a bit of throttle crispness

.........just this tappet like noise when reved ......

Old March 20th 05, 09:44 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Mick,
You could be describing a crack in the header pipe, leaking
exhaust. The height of procrastination:
http://www.billhughes.com/brokenheader.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 20th 05, 11:03 PM
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> Hi Mick,
> You could be describing a crack in the header pipe, leaking
> exhaust. The height of procrastination:
> http://www.billhughes.com/brokenheader.jpg

That defines what was bugging me for a long time till the
weld at the lower union gave me a big smily on day.

Old March 21st 05, 06:26 AM
Mick Miller

I do think i do have a small crack pn the header pipe aswell, but the
tappet noise i am hearing is from the head.

nice pic

Old March 21st 05, 06:42 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Maybe a bent push rod. Take the cover off and twist them with your
fingers as it is running.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/