Jeep alternator

Old March 3rd 05, 12:23 PM
Bill Putney

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Bill Putney wrote:
>

>>>ask him to be more specific about what's gone bad in the alternator.
>>>I'm betting he gave the alternator a spin when he removed the belt to
>>>replace the water pump, and felt a rough bearing.

>>Smitty posted a little earlier that both old and new alternators load
>>tested at 11V - so it sounds like something else is going on external to
>>the alternator.

> 1) The load test results say nothing about the condition of the bearings.
> 2) It's entirely possible the load test was not done correctly.

But...if the load test is correct, then there's no reason to assume it's
the bearings. But we're both speculating about something we can't prove.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 3rd 05, 04:16 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

> >>Smitty posted a little earlier that both old and new alternators load
> >>tested at 11V - so it sounds like something else is going on external to
> >>the alternator.

> > The load test results say nothing about the condition of the bearings.

> But...if the load test is correct, then there's no reason to assume it's
> the bearings.

Sure there is: The tech said the alternator is going bad.
Old March 4th 05, 12:01 AM
Smitty

Thanks for all your replies. The tech said nothing about the bearings. I
watched him do the load test. Both the new one and the old one had the same
output of 11V. I'm thinking that this unit has a voltage regulator that is
separate from the alternator itself and there is some thing inside the
alternator that keeps it from going too high with out the external
regulator. On the vehicle the output tested low also, although I did not
see him test it. I left the shop (not a Chrysler shop) with these words. If
you think the new one will work put it on. He said he would and that he
would check it after it was installed. If it did not work he said that he
would put the old one back on. My wife picked up the car with a new
alternator. I have not had a chance to check it myself for output but I will
this weekend. The whole thing is still a little of a mystery but thanks to
everyone who replied.

My wife just drove in with the car while I was typing this. I just checked
it out with the new alternator installed. Engine off- the battery measures
12.4V Running it checks 13.9V so I guess all is well. I may never know if
it really needed a new alternator but I'll have to take their word for it.
They have always done the right thing in the past so I guess It's a done
deal.

Thanks again,
Smitty

n.umich.edu...

Old March 4th 05, 12:12 AM
Bill Putney

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>>>The load test results say nothing about the condition of the bearings.

>>But...if the load test is correct, then there's no reason to assume it's
>>the bearings.

> Sure there is: The tech said the alternator is going bad.

No - the OP said: "The shop said that I also had a bad alternator"
(check the original post) as in "already bad". That doesn't imply bad
bearings any more than bad electrical output. Not quite the same as the
shop saying it was "going bad".

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old March 4th 05, 12:34 AM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Smitty wrote:
>
> > I took my 96 grand Cherokee in for a water pump replacement. The

shop
> > said that I also had a bad alternator. It worked fine in our -20

temps
> > here in MN and the warning light has never come on. Do you think it
> > could be bad?

> Let me share a story which will help illuminate the matter:
>
> At one time, I drove a very used 1991 ex-police Chev Caprice. One

very
> cold winter morning, I noticed a new noise from under the hood.

Faint, but
> present. Sort of an intermittent hissing/clicking sound coming from

the
> front. I carefully homed in on the alternator as the source of the

noise
> and made a mental note to replace it, for obviously one or both of

its
> bearings had begun to fail.
>
> But life being what it is, I didn't get around to it. Working on cars

is
> very little fun in the winter, and the alternator was continuing to
> charge. I fed a few drops of oil into the front bearing via the shaft

and
> kept on driving, periodically reminding myself that I ought to look

at
> changing the alternator. Eventually I pretty much forgot about it.
>
> About 2 months later, I was on the highway doing about 65mph when a

sudden
> loud noise began to emanate from up front. It sounded like the moan

of a
> dead power steering pump, but it obviously wasn't, for I still had
> steering boost. The noise rapidly grew louder and evolved into a
> hair-raising grinding noise. The voltmeter dropped, the "AMP" light

came
> on, and the smell of very hot metal filled the car. The alternator's

front
> bearing had locked up solid, and the entire bearing was now spinning

in
> its interference fit, meant to keep the bearing's outer ring

stationary in
> the alternator's front housing.
>
> It was still about 3 miles to the next exit. I decided to go for

broke,
> and kept on driving. The grinding sound got ever louder, the stink

of
> broiling metal grew heavier and hotter. I pulled off the highway at

the
> first opportunity, and found...nothing. No service station, no phone
> booth, just an intersection.
>
> Back on the highway, another mile down the road, I pulled off at the

next
> exit, into a gas station's parking area and killed the engine. I

yanked
> the hood release, lifted the hood, and a thick column of smoke poured

up
> from the *extremely* hot alternator. The once-greasy painted brackets

were
> now bare steel, dark pink in color. I ran into the convenience store,
> bought a bottle of water, sprinted back outside and carefully poured

it
> over the alternator. The water instantly and loudly flashed into

steam. I
> bought another bottle of water, and another. By the time I had poured

the
> third litre of water over the alternator, it was merely fizzing

rather
> than flashing the water directly into steam.
>
> There was a parts store with a service department one block down the

road,
> so I got back in the car and started the engine. The water treatment

had
> averted fire danger due to extreme heat, but in the time it had taken

me
> to buy the first bottle of water, the alternator had welded itself

solid.
> The 3-month-old serpentine belt skidded over the locked-up alternator
> pulley and cooked itself to death in a big cloud of noxious smoke
> during the one-block drive to the service center.
>
> Three hours and $250 later, the car had a replacement alternator and

a new
> belt, both of unknown quality.
>
> If this is your idea of a fun diversion during an important trip on

an
> unpredictable day, by all means ignore your mechanic.
>
> If it isn't, ask him to be more specific about what's gone bad in the
> alternator. I'm betting he gave the alternator a spin when he removed

the
> belt to replace the water pump, and felt a rough bearing.
>
> DS

I'm curious Dan. Since the alternator was cooked, was there any core
trade-in value on it towards the new one?

-Kirk Matheson

Old March 4th 05, 01:51 AM
Mike Romain

Well.... The regulator is in the computer, not the alternator shell but
still......

I really have a hard time buying a 'dead' alternator suddenly when you
get a belt changed, especially after all the recent cold weather and you
having no issues.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 4th 05, 02:53 AM
mic canic

they might have found with the belt off the alt. pulley is noisey like it has a
bad bearing

Old March 4th 05, 06:44 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Daniel J. Stern" > writes:

> > I'm curious Dan. Since the alternator was cooked, was there any core
> > trade-in value on it towards the new one?

> That's the funny part -- there was not a SINGLE usable piece on that
> alternator. The rotor, stator and all other internals were thoroughly
> barbecued and the housings had sustained severe heat damage (rear) and the
> spun bearing (front). Nevertheless, Canadian Tire did deduct the core
> value from the final bill. A very expensive doorstop for a remanufacturing
> plant somewhere.

I can't remember the last time I had a core inspected -- it seems like
the rebuilders have decided it isn't worth trying to get retailers'
counter people to fight with customers over the value, and just accept
that a certain percentage of their cores will be worthless.

I've got a steering box on the way from Firm Feel (it wasn't the
pump... wish I'd seen Steve's email about testing it before I had the
replacement on special order), and they've promised me the core value
on my old box sight unseen.
Old March 4th 05, 10:29 PM
Steve

>>I'm curious Dan. Since the alternator was cooked, was there any core
>>trade-in value on it towards the new one?

See the other thread about someone getting a "rebuilt" master cylinder
with a notch broken out of the gasket sealing surface....

That should tell you how closely "cores" get inspected. Wouldnt surprise
me if some of the trashed parts from Dans alternator made it into
"rebuilt" parts and were sold. :-(

Alternator Replacement 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Jay Pique Jeep 6 February 14th 05 07:42 PM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 07:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 03:22 PM
Chrysler to show Jeep pickup and "FirePower" sports car concepts inDetroit MoPar Man Chrysler 4 December 10th 04 08:45 PM