E36 sub woofer placement

Old January 22nd 05, 11:20 PM
Planar1

Default E36 sub woofer placement

Hi All. I'm looking for a good sub woofer arrangement for my 1996 328Is.
Here's what I have now (it doesn't sound very good). 2 Nakamichi 8 inch in a
cheap, but solid box. It looks like many that you see. Nothing special. My
car doesn't have a pass through but both seats can fold inward. If I had a
pass through, my problem would be solved (I would place the sub here) and I
don't want to drive around with one seat folded. The trunk area is very well
sealed from the cab and here lies the problem: I have to turn the subs WAY
high to have a noticeable increase in bass. Plus I think the relatively
large amount of air being moved is having an adverse effect on the 6x9s in
the rear deck. With other cars I've had in the past, a single sub mounted on
the rear deck between the two 6x9s has worked well for me. I think this
arrangement would work well for me. I noticed that there is some structural
reinforcement here but I have a friend who is a race-car chassis builder and
could tidy things up for me. If you have a sub arrangement in your E36 that
you really like, I'd be interested in hearing from you. TIA

Chris

Old January 23rd 05, 04:04 AM
BallroomDancer

"Planar1" > wrote in message
> Hi All. I'm looking for a good sub woofer arrangement for my 1996 328Is.
> Here's what I have now (it doesn't sound very good). 2 Nakamichi 8 inch in
> a cheap, but solid box. It looks like many that you see. Nothing special.
> My car doesn't have a pass through but both seats can fold inward. If I
> had a pass through, my problem would be solved (I would place the sub
> here) and I don't want to drive around with one seat folded. The trunk
> area is very well sealed from the cab and here lies the problem: I have to
> turn the subs WAY high to have a noticeable increase in bass. Plus I think
> the relatively large amount of air being moved is having an adverse effect
> on the 6x9s in the rear deck. With other cars I've had in the past, a
> single sub mounted on the rear deck between the two 6x9s has worked well
> for me. I think this arrangement would work well for me. I noticed that
> there is some structural reinforcement here but I have a friend who is a
> race-car chassis builder and could tidy things up for me. If you have a
> sub arrangement in your E36 that you really like, I'd be interested in
> hearing from you. TIA
>
> Chris

I don't know about the 328iS, I have a 1996 328iC (convertible). There is no
passthrough from rear seat to trunk, but there is a recessed area in the
seat, with a plastic box that is about 5" deep at top and 9" deep at bottom.
I have a single 8" square Kicker sub mounted in the box, driven by a
SoundStream Angina 200w single channel amp mounted behind the driver side
rear seat. Does a very good job. the 8" square is about the same cone area
as a 10" round. If I leave the leather arm rest (removable) in place, the
sub is also totally invisible, which helps keep from someone breaking into
the car to steal. The arm rest does absorb some sound, I usually keep it out
and in the trunk when using the car. There is metal between the rear seat
and trunk - with the convertible top folding behind the rear seat, there is
metal there also. Trunk mounting would be useless, since it would have to be
driven so hard as to be audible for blocks for me to hear it inside. My sub
can be quite loud inside, but barely audible outside the car if the windows
are up and the hardtop is installed. YMMV.
Jim

Old January 25th 05, 11:40 PM
Planar1

C'mon folks! Someone out there must have done this upgrade! How did you
install your subs with rear seats like mine (mentioned below). Any thoughts
or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks! Chris

Old January 26th 05, 12:52 AM
Lordy

"Planar1" > wrote in
:

> C'mon folks! Someone out there must have done this upgrade! How
> did you install your subs with rear seats like mine (mentioned below).
> Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks! Chris

Might be sacrilege in ICE circles, but I just bought one of these
http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_...&type=0&cat=39
and shoved it in the boot. Ran some RCAs. Job Done for my needs.

--
Lordy
Old January 26th 05, 04:03 PM
Richard Sperry

Do yourself a favor, remove the 6x9's altogether. All they do is provide
some rear fill. The resulting holes will allow the bass to enter the cabin.
I have MB Quart 215's (5.25" driver and a 1" tweeter) up front, and JL Audio
stealth boxs in the rear, and it sounbds very good.

Just try the speaker removal, it's only a 10 min job.

Old January 26th 05, 09:22 PM
Planar1

Do you this exact box in your car? What is your rear seat configuration?

Thanks!

.. .

Old January 26th 05, 09:23 PM
Planar1

Interesting option. I hadn't thought about that one.

Thanks!

Old January 26th 05, 09:24 PM
Planar1

What is your rear configuration? E36, right?

Old January 26th 05, 10:12 PM
Lordy

"Planar1" > wrote in news:e1TJd.16987$gZ2.16647
@fe06.lga:

> "Lordy" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>

>> Might be sacrilege in ICE circles, but I just bought one of these
>> http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_...&type=0&cat=39
>> and shoved it in the boot. Ran some RCAs. Job Done for my needs.
>>

> Do you this exact box in your car?

Yup. Outer pattern has changed a little though.

> What is your rear seat configuration?

Standard 320i coupe. The seats don't have to be down or anything. I'm not
sure what you're getting at here?

--
Lordy
Old January 27th 05, 12:29 AM
Lordy

Lordy > wrote in news:Xns95EAD8718DCDFlordybigfootcom@
130.133.1.4:

>>> Might be sacrilege in ICE circles, but I just bought one of these
>>> http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_...&type=0&cat=39
>>> and shoved it in the boot. Ran some RCAs. Job Done for my needs.
>>>

>> Do you this exact box in your car?

> Yup. Outer pattern has changed a little though.

Oops. Mine had the amp built into the box. An all in one unit.

--
Lordy

HELP w/ placement of headliner fasteners Scot Ford Explorer 0 November 4th 04 04:55 AM
Placement of a temp sensor John Smith Honda 3 November 3rd 04 04:37 AM
UK 147 Fuse placement Ash Alfa Romeo 2 June 30th 04 04:21 PM
Headlight placement Steve Cooper Saturn 4 June 1st 04 01:07 AM